Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to deter stray cat

Options
  • 24-03-2010 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have two cats at the moment. One is about 8 and the other is only three months old. A big ginger cat has started turning up at my house lately and the older cat is terrified. She won't come near the house while this cat is around and as she (the ginger) hasn't budged for two days now I haven't seen her in two days. I can't leave food out for her cos the other cat eats it or else bullies her away from it. The kitten isn't too bothered and chases it around.

I've thrown water at it and made sure no food it left outside but nothing is budging it. Is there anything else I can do? It really is a horrible cat (and I'm a real cat lover) and I just want rid of it. It belongs to someone down the road but short of imprisoning the cat in the house the family can't prevent it coming up here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Is your older cat spayed? Are you sure the kitten is only 3 mths, they can go into heat around 4-5 mths. That's presuming they are females. Is the big ginger cat definitely a girl. Sounds like maybe it is looking to mate with one of your cats?

Is the ginger cat skinny, looks under nourished? It might be coming to you as not getting food at home. If that's the case call animal welfare about it & cat can be rehomed.

Only other option would be to keep your cat in & don't put any food out for the ginger & wait til it stops coming. Ignore it. If there are places it goes to the toilet in your garden, put down citrus peel to deter it

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

thanks. My older cat is female and has been neutered. The kitten is male and is 12 weeks old this week.

Problem is that I know the family who own it and they do feed it. It was over at my parents house for a week or two and they couldn't get rid of it either. It does look fairly skinny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I have the same problem right now with 4 tom cats in my garden! They're annoying because they're starting fights with my cats, and making the dogs bark at night, etc.

I can only think that maybe if you really really scare him away, bang pots and pans, chase him, yell, pretend you're gonna kick him, throw something at him (something that won't hurt, like maybe scrunched up paper) . . . I don't know if it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've got a problem with a big ginger cat too! You're not in D8 are you?

I don't have any cats myself but the git loves to sit on the wall and torment the dogs. I've got a super-soaker beside me at all times now, and I'll drench him if I can.

The problem is that I know the family who own her but I don't think she gets fed at home. I teach music from my house and the kids who come for lessons keep petting it and encouraging it. I have asked them not to but that's a big ask for 6 year olds :)

I have thrown water over her several times but no luck

• Advertisement

I just emailed the Wexford ISPCA to see if they can help. It's a really beautiful looking cat but very undernourished. I hope someone claims it or gives it a new home because it obviously loves people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Ginger cats are usually male - if it's an unneutered tom you could ask the people feeding him to get him neutered.
    I'm just starting to have trouble with a local tomcat attacking my cats, it must be the time of year... they're itching for a fight. I hate people who don't neuter:mad:

Advertisement