Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'03 VW Passat needs new turbo

• 24-03-2010 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭

Any advice appreciated. '03 Passat with low mileage - 40k miles, is leaking oil and coolant. Brought it to the garage and they say it needs a new turbo and it will cost about €1000. Does that sound about right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Leaking coolant and needs a new turbo?
    That doesnt make sense to me. I thought the turbo cooled with the oil.
    I could be very wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

Sorry, now that you mention it, the garage talked about the turbo problem in relation to the oil leak. The coolant leak is happening at the same time, but probably not related.

Maglight wrote: »
    Sorry, now that you mention it, the garage talked about the turbo problem in relation to the oil leak. The coolant leak is happening at the same time, but probably not related.

Ahh, bad news so, it doesnt seem like they are trying tor rip you off :p
    It could be a messed up oil feed pipe but to be honest, blown turbos can just happen.

EDIT:
    Didnt notice price. Shopping around could work wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 patzer

You should definitely look around, €1000 seems pretty steep. try ebay or something like that. also vagdrivers.net for more advice. You will have to p/x the old turbo usually.

The coolant loss is most likely due to a sh1te radiator. have a '01 passat myself and it needs to be replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

Why are replacement turbos so expensive in general? surely they are just air pumps no?

• Advertisement

They are a rather nifty piece of kit, precision moving parts that rotate at seriously high rpm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

How long have you got the car? Have you been changing your oil, like?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

I had a leaking turbo after using the wrong (originally the recommended but it changed!) oil during a change..changed back to 5W40 (from 10W40) and the leak has vanished...thankfully, wasn't looking forward to the price but there is much better value buying from the uk, particularly with a exchange of your old unit!

A seven year old serviced at manufacturers recommended interval as opposed to annually might have seen fresh oil rarely enough.

I had a leaking turbo after using the wrong (originally the recommended but it changed!) oil during a change..changed back to 5W40 (from 10W40) and the leak has vanished...thankfully, wasn't looking forward to the price but there is much better value buying from the uk, particularly with a exchange of your old unit!

Was the 10w40 a semi synth?
    On the oil front if it is a TDI the OP has then make sure you are using the VW 505.01 standard oil.

• Advertisement

bbk wrote: »
    Was the 10w40 a semi synth?
    On the oil front if it is a TDI the OP has then make sure you are using the VW 505.01 standard oil.

Pretty sure yeah, was in it for 8000 miles before the leak started...typically I referenced both the Renault handbook and the Halfords (never again) oil book for the right oil. Lesson learned!

I would think the oil was coincidense to be honest, what sort of car is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭c-dog

Any advice appreciated. '03 Passat with low mileage - 40k miles, is leaking oil and coolant. Brought it to the garage and they say it needs a new turbo and it will cost about €1000. Does that sound about right?

Company I work for repair turbos PM sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

bbk wrote: »
    Leaking coolant and needs a new turbo?
    That doesnt make sense to me. I thought the turbo cooled with the oil.
    I could be very wrong though.
    No, I think it's both on the Passat's.

OP should have the oil pressure checked - just in case there is a reason there why the turbo is gone. (if it is gone at all)
    Clogged PCV system on these is a favourite for causing leaking oil.

Where is the coolant leak? Water pump, bad hose? Rad?

RoverJames wrote: »
    I would think the oil was coincidense to be honest, what sort of car is it ?

Well then it was a fortunate coincidence that changing back to the correct oil solved the leak (the garage suggested trying that first before throwing money at a new turbo) and 6 months later the leak still hasn't returned. Clio 1.5 100, a well used engine block across the range and otherwise a great little runner!

Well then it was a fortunate coincidence that changing back to the correct oil solved the leak (the garage suggested trying that first before throwing money at a new turbo) and 6 months later the leak still hasn't returned. Clio 1.5 100, a well used engine block across the range and otherwise a great little runner!

Over say a 1000 miles how much 5w40 "leaked" from the turbo do you know ?

RoverJames wrote: »
    Over say a 1000 miles how much 5w40 "leaked" from the turbo do you know ?

From watching my parking space at home...virtually none! Don't be raining on my parade, saved me having to pay hundreds for a new turbo :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

Thanks for all the advice all. I've had the car for five years and have had it serviced as per manufacturer advice rather than every year. I will check the oil pressure and also check what sort of oil its using.

Help much appreciated.

Thanks for all the advice all. I've had the car for five years and have had it serviced as per manufacturer advice rather than every year. I will check the oil pressure and also check what sort of oil its using.

Help much appreciated.

Going forward do get an annual oil change done if you aren't doing much miles, it's the best thing you can do for an engine :)

Advertisement