Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corolla brakes shuddering

• 24-03-2010 4:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭

I have an 07 Corolla saloon, and the last two journeys I've had on motorways I've noticed when Im driving around 120k and brake, even just gently enough braking down to 100k or so, that the whole car is shuddering.

Have rang the local garage and waiting for a call to book it in, but just wondering if anyone has any insight into what might cause this? Its still under warranty so hopefully if its a big problem it wont cost us.

It might be happening at lower speeds, but its harder to notice because with uneven roads and slower speeds its not as noticable. On new motorways its really noticeable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭2010 G

I have had a Corolla and some of friends have and we had the same problem at 75 mph/120 kmh and that was without even braking but the problem just went after a while. It's nothing to worry about it could just be brake pads or even just a ball bearing in the alloy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Sounds like DTV (disc thickness variation). Only cure is new discs. It should become increasingly more apparent as the discs get hotter and 'pringle' which makes it worse.

Oh, and if anyone tells you your discs are 'warped' they're incorrect. Discs dont warp (maybe one in a million does!).

2010 G wrote: »
    It's nothing to worry about it could just be brake pads or even just a ball bearing in the alloy.

Could you elaborate on both of those scenarios please ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Thanks Mr David..... any idea on how much new discs will set me back (ballpark)?

2010G.... nervous about anything not seeming 'right' with brakes so definitely want to get it double checked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Good service should help that. Happened with my mams Corolla. We abused the service interval a little too much :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

I dont know exactly re costs, but if you were to do it yourself you could replace the discs and pads for less than €100 anyway. Its an easy job if you are relatively competent with some basic tools.

If you arent confident yourself maybe try a good indy as opposed to main dealer. My advice would be to get the pads done too even if they are not worn - as putting old pads on new discs causes bedding issues and can ruin the discs.

In the meantime I wouldnt worry too much, its not going to affect braking performance hugely.

There are some other possible causes to eliminate first - check tyre pressures, alignment and that the hub mounting surface has no grit or dirt causing runout of the disc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

Mr.David wrote: »
    I dont know exactly re costs, but if you were to do it yourself you could replace the discs and pads for less than €100 anyway. Its an easy job if you are relatively competent with some basic tools.

If you arent confident yourself maybe try a good indy as opposed to main dealer. My advice would be to get the pads done too even if they are not worn - as putting old pads on new discs causes bedding issues and can ruin the discs.

In the meantime I wouldnt worry too much, its not going to affect braking performance hugely.

There are some other possible causes to eliminate first - check tyre pressures, alignment and that the hub mounting surface has no grit or dirt causing runout of the disc.

+1
    Get new pads as well as the disks ! I had a 306 that started to shudder when breaking. I got new disks fitted and within a week it was shuddering again. Second time round I got new disks and pads, that cured it.

Not a hope of me trying it myself.... typical woman when it comes to cars - just about know how to fill the windscreen water :)

Have been able to arrange for it to go to the garage tomorrow - sending it to the main dealer in case its anything that can be done under warranty, and will get them to ring me before they do any work so will see about prices and whether to get it done there then.

thanks for all your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Price wise set of pads €30 odd and new discs around €90.
    Not a big job either if you have a mechanical friend even.

Thanks all for the help.... mechanic at toyota dealer took it for a spin earlier and said its something up with the brake disc and needs to be replaced - so just as you lot thought.

The good news is they're going to cover it under the warranty so a happy ending!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

sillysocks wrote: »
    Thanks all for the help.... mechanic at toyota dealer took it for a spin earlier and said its something up with the brake disc and needs to be replaced - so just as you lot thought.

The good news is they're going to cover it under the warranty so a happy ending!

make sure they do the pads as well.

Advertisement