Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MTB Helmet for use on the roads

• 24-03-2010 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭

Hi,

This may sound like a stupid question but would you think getting a MTB cycling helmet be silly if I only cycle on a raod bike and don't do any Mountain bikeing or off road racing etc.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

billyhead wrote: »
    Hi,

This may sound like a stupid question but would you think getting a MTB cycling helmet be silly if I only cycle on a raod bike and don't do any Mountain bikeing or off road racing etc.
    A lot of MTB helmets are simply their road equivalents, with a visor. The visor can be helpful in the rain, particularly if you wear glasses.

I am not sure about some of the "motorcycle-type" ones though from a safety perspective - they may restrict vision and impair hearing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Where's the pic of that full-face hi-vis commuting superhero? Can't find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Not silly:
    CG916024.jpg

Silly:
    28881-4.Jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Full-face helmets are even silly for any kind of XC MTBing. Downhill and trials, and that's about it.

The major differences between the helmets are that road helmets tend to have more and bigger vents and they also tend to be lighter. But you wouldn't really be able to tell and no-one would care if your helmet had a visor or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

a mate of mine ripped the peak off my helmet when i went road riding - so no you cant
    (must find my peak now the suns back out.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Lumen wrote: »
    Where's the pic of that full-face hi-vis commuting superhero? Can't find it.

Here?

always_wear_a_helmet.jpg

Advertisement