Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road Bike for big fell

• 24-03-2010 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've been doing a fair bit on my trusty Trek 7.2FX Hybrid over the last 2 years and I'm thinking of getting a road bike on the Cycle To Work Scheme. I'm a bit fella at nearly 20 Stone and apparently in the cycling world I'm a Clydesdale. LOL!!!
    Anyway I'm looking at a few bikes and the Ridley Eos or the Ridley Compact seem like very nice bikes. Has anyone any views on these bikes for a Clydesdale?
    I may need to upgrade to 36 spoke wheels for this bike. Can anyone recommend a well priced wheel for me.

I've also spotted good deals on Focus, Planet X and Boardman. Are these good for a big guy?
    I've also spotted the Treks, Giants and Specialized but they don't seem to be as well specced.

Also, can I buy a more expensive bike, say €1200, on the BTW scheme and pay the balance myself?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

Donie75 wrote: »
    Also, can I buy a more expensive bike, say €1200, on the BTW scheme and pay the balance myself?

Don't know about the rest of your post, but this one is a "yes, you can".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

you can spend whatever amount you want , but you will only get €1000 for the scheme

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It depends on your employer's scheme as to whether you can go above €1,000. The employer buys the bike initially, and would normally expect the employee to contribute the excess (in this case €200).

Hopefully many employers will be fairly flexible on something like this, but there is no obligation for them to be (and they need to adopt a consistent approach with all employees)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

That's great, thanks for the info on the BTW Scheme.
    Now, about the bike..... Is a Ridley (Eos or Compact) any good and what wheels should I look to get?
    Is there much difference in the Tiagra and 105 sets for a newcomer like me? The EOS has Tiagra but the Compact had full 105.
    Also what is a compact set?
    Should I be looking for a triple?

Sorry for all the questions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I'm no expert on the bikes as still researching my own first road bike purchase so I'll leave that to the better informed or those with experience of the bikes.

Regarding the groupset however my research has led me to believe that 105 is very good and of race standard in terms of efficiency and that the higher and more expensive groupsets' main advantage is on weight reduction rather than a noticable improvement in meachanism. However in saying that Tiagra is supposed to be good also and well capable of the job at hand. I'd be inclinded to go with the higher end groupset provided it falls under your budget as it will save any notions of having/wanting to upgrade for the foreseeable future.

A compact groupset is a front mech of 50/34 ratio where the bigger wheel has 50 teeth and the small ring 34 teeth. This is a different to a standard double which generally is of the ratio 53/39 and therefore tougher to cycle and maintain a high cadence. The general consensus is that a compact double is the preferred crankset unless into racing at a relatively high level. A large ratio cassette with a compact groupset should offer a range of gears enabling one to combat most hills.

A tripple on the other hand has the added advantage of a granny ring on a standard double crankset to aid in tackling hills but the disadvantage of the added weight this brings and the negative connotations is seems to carry. Given your self proclaimed Clydesdale rating a tripple might be of benefit in climbing hills as it will enable you to spin at a higher cadence and save your knees in trying to force your weight up the hills. It all depends on what sort of terrain you expect to use the bike on, if very hilly a tripple could be good otherwise a compact should be sufficient. As some wise old sage once said, it's often better to have an extra gear and not use it rather than not have one and need it, something to that effect anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i'm 220 pounds (therfore a cldes ihave shimano rs10 on a focus cayo running fine

watch out though the cayo is only rated to 120kg, look keo's only to a 100kg so beware if you break something and go back to the shopthey may try and wriggle out.
    a good shop should sort you out.

dont know you've trawled any cldsedale specific forums - heres one i know of

http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?248-Clydesdales-Athenas-(200-lb-91-kg)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

Hi,
    I've been doing a fair bit on my trusty Trek 7.2FX Hybrid over the last 2 years and I'm thinking of getting a road bike on the Cycle To Work Scheme. I'm a bit fella at nearly 20 Stone and apparently in the cycling world I'm a Clydesdale. LOL!!!

No, in the cycling world you're a 'sprinter' :)

I have a ridley compact and a ridley orion. The compact only has clearance for 700x23c tyres, so mightn't be ideal for a heavier rider. the orion takes 25s but that might be above budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If you are 20st I would really suggest 700x25c tyres, even 28 if they will fit... and a triple or compact if you want to get up hills.

700x28s are not substantially slower by the way but will absorb more shock due to their larger volume, rather than transmit it to the wheel and bike.

I have had a Focus Cayo and Planet X myself and either will take 700x25 fine, I have 25s on my PX right now. 28 might be a stretch- but many road bikes will take them.

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm starting to get a good picture of what I need.
    I'll talk to my local bike shop and get them to spec up a bike and 25 or 28 tyre. I'll check to see if the Ridley Eos can take the bigger tyre. The more expensive bikes might be a bit OTT for a newbie like me.
    It's looking like;
    Frame: Aluminium with Carbon forks
    Groupset: 105 or Tiagra
    Wheels: 32 or 36 spoke
    Tyres: 25c or 28c.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I was a 20stone cyclist riding a mountain bike, now Im 17stone riding an 80's peugot racer, the 36h wheels are holding up well tho I think they are steel(chromed).
    from extensive research online Ive narrowed it down to mavic cxp 33 rims as the best for a heavy guy on a racer, velocity deep V is another good choice tho heavier. there are stronger wheels but they will add an extra 400+g to your wheelset and are prob not needed.

so best thing to do is to build or get someone else to build up wheels using mavic cxp-33 36h rims, plenty of choices with hubs

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm starting to get a good picture of what I need.
    I'll talk to my local bike shop and get them to spec up a bike and 25 or 28 tyre. I'll check to see if the Ridley Eos can take the bigger tyre. The more expensive bikes might be a bit OTT for a newbie like me.
    It's looking like;
    Frame: Aluminium with Carbon forks
    Groupset: 105 or Tiagra
    Wheels: 32 or 36 spoke
    Tyres: 25c or 28c.

how about 28c at back at 25c front?

Pardon my ignorance but would an upgrade to something like these wheels be good? Are these road wheels or just for track?
    They have 32 spokes front and 36 spokes on the back. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29091

Pardon my ignorance but would an upgrade to something like these wheels be good? Are these road wheels or just for track?
    They have 32 spokes front and 36 spokes on the back. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29091

you can use them on the road but will only have 1 gear(1 on each side of the hub tho you cant use the one on the opposite side of the chain. you put a sprocket/cog on the back wheel, its a fixed gear so as long as the wheel keeps moving the pedals will too, you cant freewheel but if you flip the back wheel around you can use a different cog for a different gear

that particular set of wheels are double fixed(fixed on both sides) others can be double+freewheel (1 on each side)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

track / single speed only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

that particular set of wheels are double fixed(fixed on both sides) others can be double+freewheel (1 on each side)
    Double-fixed is more versatile as you can thread a freewheel onto a fixed thread but you can't get a lockring onto a freewheel thread.

/offtopic

OP- no you don't want track wheels.

CXP33 rims are strong and stiff all right, good option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭steinone

For the ****s and giggles velocity also do a 48hole rim and hub drilling option.
    For all of the weight weenies :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Cannondale suggestion. From Evans Cycles in UK (also in Cycleways on Parnell St). CAAD 9 full Aluminium with Tiagra Groupset.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/caad-9-tiagra-compact-2010-road-bike-ec020238

steinone wrote: »
    For the ****s and giggles velocity also do a 48hole rim and hub drilling option.
    For all of the weight weenies :)

ye the b43 and chukker in 48h are as strong as you can get! was thinking about b43 in 48h, polished silver, not a fan of the colors, but its prob too heavy for long journeys

blorg wrote: »
    Double-fixed is more versatile as you can thread a freewheel onto a fixed thread but you can't get a lockring onto a freewheel thread.

/offtopic

will a standard bmx freewheel fit? It does make better sense to get a double fixed if so, (waiting on an ebay track hub win!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement