Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Panniers

• 24-03-2010 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Anyone know where to get a decent cheap set of panniers in Dublin?

prob too late to get them off net as I am away next Thursday on a cycling holiday.

Dont have to be amazing by any stretch of the imagination just do the job

cheers for the help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Cycleways do them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭JMJR

Halfords are worth a try for inexpensive ones

Sorry, I just looked at .ie site and nothing relevant there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I have the Ortlieb ones which are bit of a one track pony. They are 100% water proof which is great. But you can't air them easily, as theres no ventilation, so they get at bit stuffy after a while. Also theres no quick access pockets. Also the carrying strap for when you lift them off the bike, is a bit rubbish is you have to walk anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

I have Ortlieb panniers too. They might be a 'one trick pony', but it's an important 'trick'. Having something dry to change into at the end of day is important! I'd agree that the lack of external pockets is a pain.

One week should be plenty of time to order online. I got my panniers from Wiggle. Good value at the time.

DFD.*

*Don't Feed Ducks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 aibhne

cyclelogical had a few might be worth trying if nowhere else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Great Outdoors, off Grafton Street, used to stock Ortlieb panniers a few years back (and for a reasonable price too), not sure if they still do though. Last time I was in there was a few months ago and they had a lot of Altura gear at the time so might have their panniers too - I've no idea how good or bad the Altura panniers are though but I can certainly recommend Ortlieb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

I've Ortlieb front classics. The work very well. Also I think the fact that they are a "one trick pony" is actually a major benefit as there's no space nor weight wasted on extra cosmetic pockets on the exterior. And the design means you can collapse them quite a lot when only carrying a few things.

BTW: They're tough as nails as well! I've had mine fall off the bike and skid along the road as well as get caught in the back wheel. Both times the rear rack was at fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

They might be a 'one trick pony', but it's an important 'trick'. Having something dry to change into at the end of day is important!
    All your stuff in plastic bags on the inside of your standard-material panniers. I've toured in downpours. Helps with the organisation too, it was a right pain trying to find something (panniers are generally just one big dark hole) before I started doing that.

Advertisement