Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wrong delivery address - help!

Options
  • 24-03-2010 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Not sure if this is in the right place so feel free to move it....

i bought a camera online, sent a postal order for the amount and for some bizarre reason, the camera was sent to my previous address, which i have not lived in for about 5 years.....
    the tracking number says that it was signed for yesterday at 11.15 am and the courier company has given me the name of the person who signed for it and have been very helpful with the whole situation, so its not a case of the camera never being sent out or anything like that.

i went round to the house a while ago to find all the windows open, nearly sure i saw movement in the downstairs room, but no one answered the door when i knocked.......!

should i go to the Gardai or will i just go back later, assuming that everyone who lives there (a group of Brazillian lads so i'm told) is in work right now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd be sitting outside with a flask waiting for them to come home for work, head over after 5 or 6, don't go to the Garda yet. Was the package insured?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

How could the company know your previous address if you've not lived their for 5 years, did you perhaps give them the wrong address or somehow forget to update your account with them with the correct information?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭encore1

no.....but the person's name who signed for it is NOTHING like mine, so if it is a case of them denying it ever arrived, is the onus on the courier company because it wasn't signed for by the intended person, ie - me?! or am i up the proverbial creek without a paddle?!

Cabaal wrote: »
    How could the company know your previous address if you've not lived their for 5 years, did you perhaps give them the wrong address or somehow forget to update your account with them with the correct information?

i updated my account, with my new address, but obviously, something went wrong. but i DEFINITELY remember updating it, to the point that the guy who i was dealing with (the seller) made a joke about part of the name in my address, so something went wrong somewhere.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

encore1 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is in the right place so feel free to move it....

i bought a camera online, sent a postal order for the amount and for some bizarre reason, the camera was sent to my previous address, which i have not lived in for about 5 years.....

Did you order off the company from that address? I've ordered off a company and they have my folks home phone number as the contact number with the correct address, I used paypal and forgot to update my phone number on it. I've ordered off them again and I made sure my phone number was updated, but it still has my folks number on the delivery docket.

I'd give them the benefit of doubt, talk to someone in the house before contacting the Gardaí. If you have a copy of your order, with the correct address, get onto the vendor and get it resent if you get no joy at the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

I would wait outside too - rather than leaving notes... cos that will give them time to think :)

if you used Paypal to pay for the item then there is a shipping address attached to that. might be worthwhile takinga look at that

i'll have to get someone to come down with me, i'm not getting into a potentially volatile situation on my lonesome...:eek:

are people REALLY that bad?! seriously?!! to sign for a package that CLEARLY isnt yours?! thats like someone handing you a set of car keys that they found on the side of the road and you getting into the car claiming it as your own!

Roll on 5 o'clock....

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

i'll have to get someone to come down with me, i'm not getting into a potentially volatile situation on my lonesome...:eek:

are people REALLY that bad?! seriously?!! to sign for a package that CLEARLY isnt yours?! thats like someone handing you a set of car keys that they found on the side of the road and you getting into the car claiming it as your own!

Roll on 5 o'clock....

I would definitely be waiting outside that place for someone to enter/exit and confront them... in a nice way of course.. all polite etc..

Make sure to say that the item delivered was intended for you and was delivered successfully to the house and you know it was delivered because of the docket and you have come to collect it.

If they refuse show them the signature docket and then continue to wait outside.. do not leave incase they ditch the item to a friend etc.. and get the cops if they wont give it to you.
    Opening someone elses mail is an offense

Roll on 5 o'clock....

I've only ever been asked once was I the person who's name was on the docket. Couriers generally don't care once they get a signature.

If there are a few people living in the house and seeing as they're Brazilian the person signing may not have know it wasn't for them.

I'd polity ask for the item back 1st and if no joy get back onto the vendor. They sent it to the wrong address as you said the person taking the order commented on your address, let them deal with getting the camera back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You need to find out what address was on the parcel. See if the courier can tell you this. Also check your invoice (possibly an email or on your account with the shop's website) to see what delivery address is listed. Don't just check what address you have with them now, you need to know what's printed on the invoice/receipt.

If the address on the invoice is the correct one, then you should contact the shop to tell them that you have not received your parcel. It going to the wrong address is between the shop and the courier, and you should not be going anywhere near that house. Tell them that it was delivered to the wrong address and that you want a replacement sent immediately. The courier's insurance should cover the cost, but that's got nothing to do with you, and isn't your problem anyway.

If the address on the invoice is your old address, then you're probably not going to be able to prove that you updated the address before placing the order, and it could be your though luck.

Do not go to the Gardai, it's not a criminal matter, and this will be a waste of your time.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

did you purchase it with paypal?

i have an issue with them two weeks ago, order an ipod and pulled up a really old address and wont let me change it. ordered something else the following day and it pulled up the right address:confused:

had a big argument with the company, i was purchasing the ipod from but i eventually got them to send it to the correct address.

right, well i called round to the house again, sat outside for a few mins to see if there was "any movement!" saw the upstairs window being shut, so got out of the car and knocked on the door. could hear whispering, so grabbed a hold of the knocker and KNOCKED as hard as i could.
    door opens.....a very surprised foreign gent is standing there like a rabbit in headlights........

"hi there, sorry to bother you, i'm just here to collect the package that was delivered for me yesterday. i used to live here and there was a mix up with the delivery address"

"no english"

"ok, well can i talk to your friend who's here with you then?"

"what friend?"

"the one you were whispering to when i knocked on the door"

"no no, there's no one here, i was not whispering......"

"ok, well, clearly you can speak SOME english, so i'll tell you want i want and you can give it to me or else you can give it to the police when they arrive in 10 minutes time. now, the package that arrived yesterday, its mine and i want it."

"no package arrived"

"no package arrived at 11.15 yesterday morning and was signed for by "joe bloggs?"

"no and i sorry, but no english, what is your name?"

"sorry?!! whats my name got to do with this?"

"oh because i want give you correct package"

"the correct package?!! how many packages are delivered, BY COURIER, to this address on a daily basis, that aren't for you?! so there IS a package then?!"

"eh....but what is your name?"

"are you a postman now?!! all i want is MY package. i've called the police and they're on their way" (total bluff, think i've been watching too many corny movies)

"no package is here"

"ok, well i'll just wait outside here until the gards come, they'll be here any minute now cos i rang them on my way down" (totally bricking it now cos i hadnt rung the garda!)

he closes the door..............opens it a minute later with the package, hands it to me and SLAMS the door behind him!!! LOL......

thanks for all the replies! i am now one happy camper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Good to hear it's sorted

he closes the door..............opens it a minute later with the package, hands it to me and SLAMS the door behind him!!! LOL......

Is the package still sealed and does the camera work?

it was opened a tiny bit, i reckon just to see what it was, but it was all wrapped up in bubble wrap and you couldnt even make out what it was underneath it all so no way they could have gotten the camera out so its working fine....

all very weird - i'm guessing they were chancing their arm today, hoping i'd go against ALL the evidence that the camera had actually arrived and were gonna hang on a few days and see if anyone came along to claim and if not, it was theirs!
    god, i feel really bad now............NOT, LOL

Was the right address on the package?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Foreign scummer. Did he think he would get away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Saying you had rung the police was a good tactic because maybe like an Irish person undocumented in America your Brazilian friend would not like to invite interaction with any State agency.

But if he had stood his ground it would have been interesting to see what the Gardai would have said if you had rang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Steel Pump

Scum, **** a brick through the window

Foreign scummer. Did he think he would get away with it?
    Steel Pump wrote: »
    Scum, **** a brick through the window

That's a bit harsh. All they did was except a package. They may have tried to keep it but they gave it back in the end. There have been plenty of people who've posted here about getting incorrect deliveries asking should they keep it and lots of posters have advised them to say nothing and keep it.

• Advertisement

That's a bit harsh. All they did was except a package.

It's a criminal offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭TheGobb

right, well i called round to the house again, sat outside for a few mins to see if there was "any movement!" saw the upstairs window being shut, so got out of the car and knocked on the door. could hear whispering, so grabbed a hold of the knocker and KNOCKED as hard as i could.
    door opens.....a very surprised foreign gent is standing there like a rabbit in headlights........

"hi there, sorry to bother you, i'm just here to collect the package that was delivered for me yesterday. i used to live here and there was a mix up with the delivery address"

"no english"

"ok, well can i talk to your friend who's here with you then?"

"what friend?"

"the one you were whispering to when i knocked on the door"

"no no, there's no one here, i was not whispering......"

"ok, well, clearly you can speak SOME english, so i'll tell you want i want and you can give it to me or else you can give it to the police when they arrive in 10 minutes time. now, the package that arrived yesterday, its mine and i want it."

"no package arrived"

"no package arrived at 11.15 yesterday morning and was signed for by "joe bloggs?"

"no and i sorry, but no english, what is your name?"

"sorry?!! whats my name got to do with this?"

"oh because i want give you correct package"

"the correct package?!! how many packages are delivered, BY COURIER, to this address on a daily basis, that aren't for you?! so there IS a package then?!"

"eh....but what is your name?"

"are you a postman now?!! all i want is MY package. i've called the police and they're on their way" (total bluff, think i've been watching too many corny movies)

"no package is here"

"ok, well i'll just wait outside here until the gards come, they'll be here any minute now cos i rang them on my way down" (totally bricking it now cos i hadnt rung the garda!)

fair play for the balls

It's a criminal offence.

Accepting a wrongly delivered package (and in this case it may have had that address on it) is not a criminal offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i would write a strongly worded email to the company you bought from as it seems clear they caused you this hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

i sold an ipod once
    few days later the tranaction was reversed because a stolen cred card was used
    i went to the copshop and they werent even interested
    i went to the house we delivered it to
    big polish guy opened the door
    said it was his gfs ipod but id have to come back another day
    i wasnt having any of that so a 15 min argument started and i made him call her
    in the end he took out his wallet and gave me the price of it
    worst part of it i couldnt even leave them negative feedback because i was the seller in the transaction so theyre free to do the same to some1 else

jor el wrote: »
    Accepting a wrongly delivered package (and in this case it may have had that address on it) is not a criminal offense.

Opening mail that is not adressed to you is.

In this case the suspect opened a package that was adressed to another person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

You should still call the Guards on him.

Opening mail that is not adressed to you is.

In this case the suspect opened a package that was adressed to another person.

It wasn't opened, and as I said, accepting a package is not a criminal offense. We also don't know if it was addressed wrongly or not.

jor el wrote: »
    It wasn't opened, and as I said, accepting a package is not a criminal offense. We also don't know if it was addressed wrongly or not.

The op said it was opened. The package was in his name.

• Advertisement

The op said it was opened. The package was in his name.
    it was opened a tiny bit, i reckon just to see what it was, but it was all wrapped up in bubble wrap and you couldnt even make out what it was underneath it all so no way they could have gotten the camera out so its working fine....

all very weird - i'm guessing they were chancing their arm today, hoping i'd go against ALL the evidence that the camera had actually arrived and were gonna hang on a few days and see if anyone came along to claim and if not, it was theirs!
    god, i feel really bad now............NOT, LOL

It's on the same page, did you not even look for the OP's reply before accusing them of something they didn't do.

Advertisement