Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy Spaying

Options
  • 24-03-2010 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Am looking into getting my puppy(female) spayed and have been told that it is best to let them go into season once before.
    Anyone any opinions on this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Am looking into getting my puppy(female) spayed and have been told that it is best to let them go into season once before.
    AFAIK that is rubish , talk to your vet;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Yeh it's rubbish, spay before it's just a lot of hassle allowing them into heat there's no need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

Many thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Yes, its absolute rubbish.
    Head of surgery in veterinary medicine UCD told us so anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Totally untrue! 6 months old is a good time to get her done. If you are concerned, have a chat to your vet.

• Advertisement

Thats great.
    Thanks for all the replies!
    Will be going for her 6 month check up in a couple of weeks so will organise it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

For what it's worth; we were advised by our vet to wait until after her first season.

Vets opinions differ. Make sure you are happy with the pro's and con's that yours gives you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've heard it recommended to wait until midway between first and second seasons so that the dog is fully physically mature, and hormone levels are stable. Apparently some dogs neutered young may get bigger than ones neutered later, and some people have claimed that early spaying can cause incontinance later in life.

I'd be inclined to take the vet's recommendation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

just had my (now 7 month old) female pup done, in out and no problems, vet recommended before first season

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

had our boxer done at 6mths recently. She recovered well.

However, vet said she had licked her stitches and the little hole for each stitch was a bit red. He then put her on anti-biotics.

I never saw her licking there. I'm sure she did.
    Vet never gave any wound cleaning advice...

My advice - ask for a wound cleaning routine if necessary to avoid going on antibiotics. I felt it was a bit of a scam... of course a wound would look a bit red. It looked fine to me - no smell - no puss etc. (but of course I'm not a vet)

Hope this would help someone get their pup back up and recovered sooner. ;-)

• Advertisement

Howitzer wrote: »

My advice - ask for a wound cleaning routine if necessary to avoid going on antibiotics. I felt it was a bit of a scam... of course a wound would look a bit red. It looked fine to me - no smell - no puss etc. (but of course I'm not a vet)

Hope this would help someone get their pup back up and recovered sooner. ;-)

Thanks - will do that!!!

Thanks for all replies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

What breed is the dog?
    How secure can you keep her when in season?
    There is alot of research coming out to support waiting until a dogs is fully mature before spay / nuetering them as the hormones released as a dog becomes sexually mature contributes to bone plate growth and can also help reduce certain cancers in later life. So depending on the breed these two things can be major factors, as in the case of my Rottie, I cancelled her spay appointment at 6 months as I personally felt the health benefits outwayed the possiblity of an accidental pregnancy. I will however be spaying her when she is 2 years old.
    Having said all the above if you can't guarantee your dogs security when in season I would have her spayed at 6 months as you don't want an accidental pregnancy to deal with.

Dog is a golden retriver X labrador.
    She is kept between the house and the back garden(with no side entrance) and is only out on a lead, so yes she could be kept secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Noz

We got our puppy spayed at six months, our vet said there was no need for her to have a season at all. Her own mother was less than a year old when she got 'knocked up' with her so we didn't want that to happen to her too! :eek: Just make sure to put the cone on when you're not able to supervise her and the stitches will be grand.

They are so funny at that age, enjoy her! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Dog is a golden retriver X labrador.
    She is kept between the house and the back garden(with no side entrance) and is only out on a lead, so yes she could be kept secure.

Personally, imo, I would wait until your dog is at least a year old or preferably 18 months. To me it just makes sense that removing hormones released during adolescents would have an adverse effect on growth and development like it would in a human. If people can't guanantee the security of their dogs then of course thats a different story but I will never spay / neuter before a dog is mature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭LordDorington

nonsense, old wives tale :)

Advertisement