Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forcing Flowers

Options
  • 24-03-2010 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Dad recycles all the stuff out of the skip in the grave yeard. He repaints pots etc & plants them up & then sells them for the church in June.Fair play to him - Hes in his 70s & goes up to " The wholesalers" as he calls it every day. The stuff is in the skip to be dumped & by him recycling reduces the amount in the skips & the cost of emptying it. He then grows all the plants himself all year round & sells them with the proceeds going to the church & parish.

The problem last year was very little was in flower - all budding but little colour. He was very disappointed as all his hardwork & no colour .Has anyone a suggestion to force flowering early.It will be mid June& will have the likes of busy lizzie, petunia, marigolds etc all grown from seed.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

if he sows the seeds under cover like a green house or even a homemade mini tunnel the heat generated by the sun will allow him to sow earlier, and have the plants in flower that bit earlier too.

I have found this out by building a little greenhouse....

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

artieanna wrote: »
    if he sows the seeds under cover like a green house or even a homemade mini tunnel the heat generated by the sun will allow him to sow earlier, and have the plants in flower that bit earlier too.

I have found this out by building a little greenhouse....

Thanks - He did that - Has full greenhouse there - Does anyone know of a chemical mixture that can force ? I read somewhere if you mix 6 parts of one thing with parts of another ( ie nitrogen etc) it will force but I havent a clue

Advertisement