Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone fancy joining a band in Dublin?

• 24-03-2010 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

New trad group starting up on Northside of Dublin, All in our twenties. Anyone interested in joining?

Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

What instruments do you have already? What kind of stuff are you looking to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭gitane007

At the moment ther's a fiddle, tenor banjo, badhran, low whistle, tin whistle, guitar. We are all more or less learning together so the standard is not the cheiftans yet, but we're also past the beginners stage too. .....just wondering if theres any like-minded , like situationed people out there looking for an outlet really...........

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Where exactly in North Dublin are you hoping to play? Have you got a pub lined up? We're pretty much in the same situation but we have about 10 regulars now every Wed night. Still some of us might be into another night somewhere else, or maybe some of you could come and join in. We're hoping to add a Sunday night locally too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

where abouts on the northside are you going to be playing?

also blade where abouts are you playing.

im learning the mandolin and have a few tunes under my belt and looking to start playing at sessions.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

gitane007 wrote: »
    New trad group starting up on Northside of Dublin, All in our twenties. Anyone interested in joining?

Stephen

Hey Stephen,

Please edit your post to adhere to the charter to include the below:
    Musicians seeking other musicians - for bands / jamming etc, please include the following in your post / reply

* style of play
    * what kind of musician you are OR are looking for

Any links you may have to samples of your music when doing so please bear in mind the MP3 rule below
    * recording / recording methods
    * song writing (structure, methods etc)
    * the independant music industry

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭gitane007

Hi All

Thanks for the response's!!!. I better fill in a bit more so. We are based around the drumcondra , Glasnevin , east wall area of North Dublin. At the moment we're all just meetin up in a shed in Drumcondra and steadily expanding the repetoire between ourselves, havin great craic as you can imagine. Where abouts are you based Blade, and whats the line up?. Also
    Peter pantslez, where are you based?

Im sure there's a few pubs we could sort out sessions in around here.

Stephen

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Ok you're a bit far for me, we play in Howth. Some of us are intermediate level but the sessions aren't slow as we have a good few experienced musicians. I still struggle keeping up with some of the Jigs and Reels but I'm getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

ok your a bit far for me too im looking for somewhere on the soth side.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Night_Prowler

have ye any tips for somewhere for beginners to go! I just got an old second hand bodhran and want to learn to play it!

You'd want to get lessons before trying to join in on a session with that bodhran, theres a sticky for lessons and teachers, have a look through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pkfitz

gitane007 wrote: »

Stephen

allright mate,
    saw your post there. im playing the guitar about 3 years. well able to bang out a few tunes but havent done all that much trad as yet. just did a short course in waltons. can play the likes of beatles, christy moore, kinks, arcade fire. was looking to get into trad a bit more as it looks like great crack in pubs. im living in drumcondra as well. only problem is that ive hit the 30 mark and god dam it stinks! let me know if you and your fellow band mates are intrested? also where are yiz all from? from meath myself. anyway let us know the crack,
    patrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mistyman

would you be interested in having a 10 hole diatonic harmonica player? im also learning accoustic guitar. Do ye play country music too?