Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian food

Options
  • 24-03-2010 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,
    My boyfriend's birthday is coming up, and as well as presents, I plan to cook for him.

He loves Boston, having lived there before we met, so for dessert I'm going to make him Boston cream pie.

We plan to move to Canada together, and I'd love to cook him a main dish which is traditional to Canada.

The only idea I've had is bison, which I can't seem to find in Ireland.

Can anyone help me find bison meat, or suggest alternative Canadian dishes?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

You could try Downeys in Terenure

http://www.organicfoodsireland.com/index.php

Afaik he usually has a good stock of 'strange' meat. Boar, kangaroo, crocodile etc. so possibly bison. If not he may be able to tell you who could supply it. Maybe Superquinn too??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭JennaJameson

Thanks,
    The website doesn't mention bison, but I'll get in touch with him and see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Ok this wouldn't be a main dish but poutine is a Canadian dish, chips with gravy and cheese curds, it's lovely, could be a side dish?

Moose would be eaten in some places there too, I doubt you could get it here but you could get a recipe for it and adapt it for another meat.

You could use peameal bacon (Canadian bacon) as a part of a main dish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭JennaJameson

Thanks for those suggestions Spadina. Moose is kinda out of the running because I brought him moose before from Sweden, and I want to cook him something he's never had before.

The poutine does sound like a good side dish though, and he'd never say no to bacon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

http://www.wherepeoplefeast.com/recipes.htm

Recipe book from the Liliget Feast House. You may find something useful in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i think there is a bison farm out near the airport..you might be able to get it somewhere here!!!
    anything involving maple syrup is sure to be a winner to, eh?!

best of luck, sounds like it will be a super fun meal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

canadian lobster would do it for me!

Advertisement