Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vodafone dongle - excessive usage error/problem

• 24-03-2010 5:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,801 ✭✭✭✭

my friend has rang me to have a look at her laptop. she has a vodafone dongle and normally only uses about 2 gb of her 10 gb limit per month. but this month it has said she has surpassed the 10 gb. she has only used it as normal. the customer care insist she has used it. they have lifted the ban on her using it, but she said that she has noticed the MBs going very fast even though she is only looking at normal internet pages, not youtube etc.

any ideas on what could be causing this or what to look for before i call over later this evening to she if i can help her out as she is getting no joy off vodafone and is afraid of the possible bill she could from this.

any help / idas about viruses/malware or how to approach this would be greatly appreciated

regards
    tom

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

i use a very handy program on my comptuer called DUMeteor, which shows a little graph and tells you exactly how how fast your internet connection is downloading.
    very handy when my firefox started downloading at 750kb/ for absolutely no apparent reason (still dont know why it did that!)

if you to determine that the computer is downloading something, i would start turning off programs one by one from the task manager and see when the transfer rate drops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,801 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

thanks very much , i will get that program and try it out. did find a solution to your problem or did it just stop by itself. she knows little about computers so its possible she installed something that is running at startup that is doing this.
    regards

tom

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

2smiggy wrote: »
    thanks very much , i will get that program and try it out. did find a solution to your problem or did it just stop by itself. she knows little about computers so its possible she installed something that is running at startup that is doing this.
    regards

tom

Then Spybot S&D and AdAware are also a good idea.

Thanks again, was wondering where i can find DUMeteor to downlaod ?

Regards
    Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hugoline

OP probably meant http://www.dumeter.com/

I use Netlimiter which then also allows you to block specific applications

• Advertisement

thanks for all the replys :)

hopefully i will be able to fix it for her

Advertisement