Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo of the Week #31 - 28/01/10 to 4/02/10

• 24-03-2010 5:22pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The next Photo of the Week goes to ..... me.

18C22D5596574E358FA86016F4A6B5E0-800.jpg

An explanation of how I created this shot is in this thread in Digital Darkroom

I really need to catch up on a few POTW's

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Fix !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Nah sorry,

the yoke needs to be much smaller and a bit further west...

kidding, very cool shot, how was it done? :)

EDIT: just noticed the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I saw this photo ages ago, how is it only photo of the week now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I saw this photo ages ago, how is it only photo of the week now?

Because I have to catch up on a few POTW's

Life has been a bit hectic lately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Fix!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

while I would hestiate to make such an accusation of this being a fix, several things strike me as being odd in this case:
    1. I had a picture posted at the top of page 66 of the previous Random thread. My picture was getting quite a lot of thanks, when suddenly it was moved to the bottom of page 65, making it less visible. This had the unfortunate/fortunate (depending on your viewpoint) of moving the egg picture to the top of page 67, consequently making it more visible.
    2. This egg picture was 'promoted' in a thread of its own on the Digital Darkroom sub-forum as a lot of questions were apparently asked about how it was done. This led to a rather lively discussion regarding the validity of this picture as a photograph or a piece of digital art.
    3. Two weeks ago I checked the 'scores' for both of these pictures, mine and the egg picture and mine was ahead by 1. In the intervening time, either my picture had two 'thanks'removed or the egg picture had two new 'thanks'. This on a thread that was locked and at least 15 pages into the forum. This thread is now on page 28. Strikes me as odd that two people would do either thing on such an old thread
    As I said, I would be hesitant to make an accusation of fixing, especially for something so trivial as a photo of the week (although I was really looking forward to getting it :D), but it definitely looks like there were 'irregular voting patterns'.

Bitter? Me??? Not much :rolleyes:

sorry for not linking pictures/threads, but I don't know how to link individual posts...

while I would hestiate to make such an accusation of this being a fix, several things strike me as being odd in this case:
    1. I had a picture posted at the top of page 66 of the previous Random thread. My picture was getting quite a lot of thanks, when suddenly it was moved to the bottom of page 65, making it less visible. This had the unfortunate/fortunate (depending on your viewpoint) of moving the egg picture to the top of page 67, consequently making it more visible.
    2. This egg picture was 'promoted' in a thread of its own on the Digital Darkroom sub-forum as a lot of questions were apparently asked about how it was done. This led to a rather lively discussion regarding the validity of this picture as a photograph or a piece of digital art.
    3. Two weeks ago I checked the 'scores' for both of these pictures, mine and the egg picture and mine was ahead by 1. In the intervening time, either my picture had two 'thanks'removed or the egg picture had two new 'thanks'. This on a thread that was locked and at least 15 pages into the forum. This thread is now on page 28. Strikes me as odd that two people would do either thing on such an old thread
    As I said, I would be hesitant to make an accusation of fixing, especially for something so trivial as a photo of the week (although I was really looking forward to getting it :D), but it definitely looks like there were 'irregular voting patterns'.

Bitter? Me??? Not much :rolleyes:

sorry for not linking pictures/threads, but I don't know how to link individual posts...

dude ... I think you're taking this a little seriously here ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Missed this being explained in the digital sub forum. Thanks for the description

.......sorry for not linking pictures/threads, but I don't know how to link individual posts...

Click the # to the top right hand corner to the individual post your after.
    In this instance the above links to your post.....ie #7

dude ... I think you're taking this a little seriously here ...

yeah, I know but I was looking forward to the little thrill :D

yeah, I know but I was looking forward to the little thrill :D

okaaaay :rolleyes:

I was being facetious above, I don't actually seriously think there was some convoluted conspiracy involving CabanSail using his Super Sekret Mod Powers to untraceably alter post and thank counts on the thread ...

on the other hand ...

Fix !

• Advertisement

i doubt there was either. it seems a bit convoluted for such scant reward...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Great Photo, and the explanation is much appreciated. I actually thought you had an Ireland stencil that you cracked an egg into :)

i doubt there was either. it seems a bit convoluted for such scant reward...

What was your photo?

Post it here and i'll decide, my decision being final, and all...

:p

I like the OP's pic though, you could argue its digital art but to anyone outside of the loop on how it came to be would assume it was a photo taken as its seen. I thought it might have been a mould.,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Yes it was all an evil plot on my behalf. Using secret Mod Powers & special Incantations at midnight while sacraficing eggs at the Shrine of DeVore. :D

Actually had to count the Thanks many times as it was very close. Just looked at the Spreadsheet & there was just one in the difference & I just realised I did not thank it myself. I have now so they are even. Let's call it a tie.

This was the shot from cambo_gueno.

4315053735_dcc8780cb9_o.jpg

Really cool shot, but i find the egg more interesting and different. :)

Advertisement