Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on buying 2nd Hand Audi A4 for €12K

• 24-03-2010 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

I want to buy an A4 for €12K or less, Ideally I wouldnt want to go older than 2006. However, not sure about the engine size, is a 1.6 too small for an A4 or would the 1.8 kill me on tax, insurance and petrol. Also, Im not sure whether to go for diesel or petrol (I know this will affect the price). What are A4's like for reliability and repairs and spare parts, will it out me in the poor house? Car will be used mainly for commuting to work in and around Dublin aswell as a familiy car (1 newborn). Mileage would be less than 10000 miles per year.

Can anyone give any pointers when shopping for a 2nd A4 and point out any pitfalls. Car will be used mainly for commuting to work in and around Dublin. Mileage would be less than 10000 miles per year.

Comments

Surely road tax is negligable enough if you are shelling out €12000 on a car, between a 1.6 and a 1.8 it's only €150 ish an annum difference if that. Insurance will also be much of a muchness even on a 1.8T.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Personally I wouldn't touch the 1.6 petrol in the A4 as I feel it's too small an engine.

1.8T or 2.0TDi are your best best. Tax is around €550 in the 1.8 and €600 or so in the 2.0TDi assuming you go pre-2008. You can thank the Green Party for that shambles.

You don't need a diesel for that low mileage really, but most of the A4s you'll find are diesel these days.

As far as reliability goes, I run two of them and both have been fine bar a faulty coil in the petrol one - cost around €90 to fix from a local mechanic. I service them myself so no costs other than parts for me. For other non-service repair work, I'd just go to a local mechanic rather than an Audi dealer. Mind you, I got the timing belt done in the petrol one last year and the Audi garage near me was cheaper than two independents I tried, so shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I couldn't imagine a noticable difference between the 1.6 and the 1.8t in terms of consumption. That engine drinks it around town and the gearling means its not particularly good at a high speed cruise either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Kid Curry

OP here. Can anyone tell me what mpg I would expect to get (petrol and diesel)

Are there better options for €12K. I also like the Saab?

The diesel should give you 50mpg + on a run, over 40mpg combined. With the 1.8T driven sedately on a run 40mpg should be attainable, my friend has a 225bhp TT quattro 2001 model that returns over 30mpg for him mixed driving, he doesn't thrash it at all though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

RoverJames wrote: »
    The diesel should give you 50mpg + on a run, over 40mpg combined. With the 1.8T driven sedately on a run 40mpg should be attainable, my friend has a 225bhp TT quattro 2001 model that returns over 30mpg for him mixed driving, he doesn't thrash it at all though.

If you are in any way concerned with fuel ecomony, get a diesel.

The 1.6 petrol is a joke & I wouldnt take one for free. Ive had 2 1.8T audi petrols now, One was a TT & currently an A5 with 1.8Tfsi engine. They are thirsty. I average 25 MPG in both cars which is mostly 6 to 10 mile runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Kid Curry wrote: »
    OP here. Can anyone tell me what mpg I would expect to get (petrol and diesel)

Are there better options for €12K. I also like the Saab?

I have a 9-3 1.8t vector and I have to say I love my car. I managed to get a good deal on one with loads of extra and about a third of the mileage it should have on it (Thank you 1 lady owner). I will deffo buy another saab.

They deprecate much faster then the Audi though!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

mickdw wrote: »
    If you are in any way concerned with fuel ecomony, get a diesel.

The 1.6 petrol is a joke & I wouldnt take one for free. Ive had 2 1.8T audi petrols now, One was a TT & currently an A5 with 1.8Tfsi engine. They are thirsty. I average 25 MPG in both cars which is mostly 6 to 10 mile runs.

Either you are flooring it or doing a lot of city driving. I'm getting close to 40mpg in a 1.8T, but that is with a mainly constant 90kph for 2/3 of my commute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would not bother with the 1.6 litre A4, it's was a motor tax Irish friendly special with most having terrible spec too, generally poor value for money. As you are doing less than 10k miles a year then it is hard to justify buying a diesel version. That really leaves you with the 1.8T which are scarce enough here, maybe it is worth seaking a UK model as they are more plentiful over there and they also have a higher standard spec than Irish A4 models.

Alternatives, I would recommend the Honda Accord, I know it's 2.0 litre but I reckon the extra few euro on motor tax but economy would be similar if not better than the 1.8T A4. The Accord are also generally higher spec than similar A4s, here is an examples:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201010197208242

Advertisement