Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trampolines?

Options
  • 24-03-2010 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, just curious - my 9 year old is mad for a trampoline and after fobbing her off for ages I'm finally considering getting her one. I know loadsa people have them for their kids so I'm just wondering if they have been worth the money coz a half decent one is not cheap. I would hate to spend that much on a novelty that's only going to be used for a week. Also, how safe are they? Thanks! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

a friend of mine has 3 sons 12,around 7 and 4 and she said it is one of the best things that she ever bought them.They love it and it gets a lot of use and the benefit is that it is good exercise too:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

Best thing we ever got in this house. In fact I was only looking at our yesterday and thinking this will be its last year. Both DH & I agree it would be worth buying another when this one bites the dust.

It saved us money on hiring bouncy castles for birthday parties too.

I would highly recommend them. Get the biggest you can too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

What's the injury rate like on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

Defo need to watch kids on it.
    Get a safety net and 1 child at a time and should have very few accidents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭shivs

Just be careful also - my youngest walked under our neighbours trampoline, while it was being jumped on.
    I still get shivers when l think of what could've happened!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

We bought our trampoline 5 years ago and it's the best thing we ever bought. We had to replace the surround last year but apart from that it's still in perfect condition and it's been outside all that time.
    We've had no serious injuries, a few banged heads but that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Pros:
    Exercise and fun : Kids love them, my 4yr old will spend over an hour constantly bouncing and laughing none stop with her friends on a large trampoline.

I use it myself and it is great fun chasing her around = More exercise and fun.

Very durable with low maintenance, (although should be regularly checked) for gaps that kids can fall through at the edges once the springs become stretched.

Cons:
    Constant supervision: is needed by an adult.

Potential Injuries: A small child can and most likely will walk underneath a trampoline and get their neck broken.

Regular checking of the edges of the trampoline should be done. I noticed that once the springs get stressed then small gaps can occur between the main bounce mat and the safety border. My child went through one of these gaps whilst walking around the edges. An awkward drop through one of these gaps after a big bounce could cause a nasty injury.

Older kids / adults jumping together with small kids can cause whip lash like injuries to the smallies.

The bottom line is: Great fun but needs constant supervision and awareness of the potential injuries that could occur. From my experience the fun and excercise factor outweight the risks of injury once fully supervised.

Ps: also consider trying to get them out of the trampoline when it is time to come in, I have chased my little one around the trampoline and she finds it great sport to bounce away from me like crazy whilst I awkwardly chase her;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

One of the best things I ever got for my children. Got it 6 years ago and had rules in place about using it.

75% or something around that of trampoline accidents happened were there wasn't a safety surround. Most of the others from horse play or not being supervised on them or adults being drunk on them. Most of the accidents involving trampolines happened when someone was jumping off a height down onto the trampoline.

There are a hell of a lot more accidents happening playing sport than from trampolines. My older son was just running across the green, stumbled and fractured 3 bones in his foot, another time he broke 2 bones in his little finger from having the wheel of his skateboard come down on his finger and another time fractured his wrist at rugby training.

One thing to bear in mind is that all the jumping can result in the crotch of trousers spliting. ;)

You can sink the trampoline into the ground so that there's still room to bounce but not walk under.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

We got ours 3 years ago.. Its massive.. 13 foot..

The kids love it.. They have great fun on it.. Definitely not a waste of money. The kids go on it in winter , just with jackets on.

The adults love it after a few drinks as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

Yeah a 13 foot one was what I was thinking of even though she's an only child so will be on it alone for the majority I guess -is that too big? I'm useless with dimensions! :o
    And apparently you can get safety accessories too like a curtain that fits around the end of it to stop any smaller children getting underneath etc so that should be ok.
    Thanks everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

deisemum wrote: »
    Most of the accidents involving trampolines happened when someone was jumping off a height down onto the trampoline.

HAHAHAHA. That sounds like super fun*. :D

*Khannie does not endorse this behaviour. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Khannie wrote: »

At least when the kids are around to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

13 ft is huge but great fun. Worth it if you have the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Quality wrote: »
    13 ft is huge but great fun. Worth it if you have the space.

Great at attracting the neighbourhood children, they'll be like bees round the honey pot. :D

Mine loved playing football on the trampoline if they thought I couldn't see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

My youngest went on our trampoline in the rain one day. Nothing much unusal about that really. Except she was wearing her rainjacket, her wellies and carrying an open umbrella at the time. :-)

We have ours at least five years , and have had no injuries (yet?). I would imagine that the bigger ones are in fact safer - especially if the child is taught to jump in the centre - then if they do fall out of the jumping zone they are still on the trampoline, if you follow.

That's true.
    Thanks everyone, think I will go for the 13 foot one, seems like the safest option and by all accounts a good investment.
    One more question! Is it easy to assemble? Coz I'd be useless and my OH, God love him, isn't much better! :rolleyes:

Anyone??
    It's a pity someone from the shop doesn't come out and set it up for you. I wouldn't know where to start. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 albetty31

please be so careful and strict with trampoline-one kid at a time-supervised-with netting, unfortunately the most fun is when you have friend/sibling on with you, but i work in brain injury and the damage that can be caused from banging heads together is just shocking. sorry to sound so morbid, just use them wisely. Also my friend dug hers into the ground, so if safety net were to fail they dont have as far to fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭lip

Hi Melanie.DH put ours up,it took a few hours.Think as far as I can remember the last few springs were the hardest.Think I remember a few shouts when he was putting up net too,but he did it...They are a brilliant investment.I have 4 kids ranging from 20 mths to 13,and they all use it.No major accidents TG,and they all go on it together.Its like everything,accidents happen.DS fell off his bike a while ago and ended up getting stitches,but he still goes on it.Can't wrap them up in cotton wool!!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

I think Vj's home fitness will set up the trampoline for you.
    I know they definitely do with all other equipment.
    They are based in blanchardstown.
    (Just saw you are in Cork but I do think they deliver nationwide)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Everyone sells them, we had a massive one, 13ft I think, now that the nipper is no longer interested we had a bastard of a time trying to get rid of it.. and they're lethal if there is a high wind, stake it down in a BIG way!!

Otherwise a good laugh, I even managed to learn how to do back somersaults on it, cool, especially when the other "kids" can't do them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rumple

Do any of you recommend a particular brand, as i would be worried about safety on some types and at the same time dont intend on spending more than 500 on a 12ft?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

We've had one for about 7 years and it's been great. But don't just get the trampoline. ** You must get a surrounding net as well ** Plus you should really supervise kids when they're on it especially little ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭sunshineoh9

MelanieC wrote: »
    Also, how safe are they? Thanks! :)
    they can be safe, and VERY dangerous... if you buy one be sure to buy a safety new along with it, the net prevents the child from falling off and breaking any bones. also you have to set some rules for your kid before they play on it... only jump in the middle, never try to jump on your hands and stay far away from the springs
    other than that trampolines are sooooooo much fun! as an adult i still play on the trampoline when i go to my nieces' house :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Go for it.
    Safety is important though.
    - Read instructions
    - Supervise
    - 1 kid at a time.
    - get good safety net & replace it when it tears
    - nobody underneath, ever.
    - If required, get steps so climbing in/out is easy
    - check the base occasionally & spray the springs with WD40 from time to time

Enjoy!
    - FoxT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Khannie wrote: »

Now I want a trampoline!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

The 13ft one is great, fair enough you have to keep an eye on the nippers when they are on it but that's just common sense...

The BIG thing is to be VERY careful where you situate it and how well you secure it to the ground, a 13ft trampoline will catch a LOT of wind and will easily take off if not secured properly and this I can state from experience... I woke up to find ours had vanished from our garden, and had been blown over an 8 ft fance into next door... and this is a very big garden in a detached house...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 seaniedearg

possibly the best thing I have bought in my life
    8 footer
    one child at a time ,

otherwise limb breaks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Dont have one, and will never get one.

The kids want one ages 3,5,11. but i will never get one. My friend has one built into her decking, mine have been on it but after 5 mins they are off it again. It also takes up a lot of space.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Our lot love our one.

Few things to make sure of.

1.Use the hold down kit so that it doesnt topple.
    2.Make sure the safety net is secure.I tighten up our one every few months and give it the once over ie check the springs etc.
    3.If you can get a second net to stop the smaller ones from wandering underneath it.I bought netting from Woodies and cabled tied it to the uprights for more piece of mind.

Overall with our 4 its the best money we`ve ever spent.

And after a few Vodkas you can have fun on it aswell ;)

Advertisement