Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing over sockets

Options
  • 24-03-2010 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi All,

I want to replace my double sockets in the living room with ones with switches so I bought the sockets took the old one off rewired the new one but it wont screw into the back box cos the treads appear to be gone.

My question is the back box ( apologies if this is not the term for this ) is a steel one so do I need to replace with a steel one or can I use a plastic one as these seem to be the only ones I see online in W**die*, also is this a job for an electrician or can i attempt myself?

The sockets are working perfectly but arent screwed in properly
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭C Eng

It should just be a stright swop if you have replaced like for like.

Any chance you can post a a pic of the tread you think has gone

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

shellyb73 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I want to replace my double sockets in the living room with ones with switches so I bought the sockets took the old one off rewired the new one but it wont screw into the back box cos the treads appear to be gone.

My question is the back box ( apologies if this is not the term for this ) is a steel one so do I need to replace with a steel one or can I use a plastic one as these seem to be the only ones I see online in W**die*, also is this a job for an electrician or can i attempt myself?

The sockets are working perfectly but arent screwed in properly
    Many thanks

ifs its just the threads that are damaged it is possible to buy a tap to re thread the backbox most hardwares will have them its usually a 3.5mm tap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

pdiddy wrote: »
    ifs its just the threads that are damaged it is possible to buy a tap to re thread the backbox most hardwares will have them its usually a 3.5mm tap

Also if its the adjustable side thats gone you can take the threaded piece out and replace with another one, requires a slight bending of tabs.

The tap might work, but if threads completely stripped there wont be much to re thread. Id say eveyone of us have seen them threads strip lots of times. Sometimes the thread might have stripped on the screw itself. Id say every sparks is wary of this every time they put a socket in. And still it happens now and then.

I`ve put them screw extenders in through the stripped tabs before and a new cut off tab behind the stripped one to get round it when the back box is not practicle to remove. Then short screws into the extenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭shellyb73

Thanks for the replies.

I am a novice at this..... so a tap?? Is that what I ask for? This isnt the left handed screwdriver joke now is it??? :D

It is the treads on one side that are gone the right hand side as you look at the socket.

What do you reckon the EASIEST thing to do is.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

try 4mm self tapper or wood screw.sometimes if you place a stripped back copper strand,earth from 1.5 t+e ,into the lug it is possible to get tight connection from wood screw.

• Advertisement

shellyb73 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

I am a novice at this..... so a tap?? Is that what I ask for? This isnt the left handed screwdriver joke now is it??? :D

It is the treads on one side that are gone the right hand side as you look at the socket.

What do you reckon the EASIEST thing to do is.

Thanks again!

No its not a joke, its a 3.5mm threading tap he was talking about, its like a round pointed screw driver shape but it has threaded outside surface to cut threads into a 3mm hole. If the screw you were trying to put in just keeps spinning without gripping then the tap wont really work as there is not enough left in the hole to thread 3.5mm

Check its not the screw itself thats stripped. The right side of socket could be the fixed screw tab or the adjustable one. (adjustable to allow leveling of socket). It depends which way round the steel box was put in.

If the box is easy to remove then putting in a new box is easiest. You must cut the power to sockets for this. Sometimes this is a pain of a job even for experienced electricians,,,, changing the box i mean. And earth the steel box as well even if one you remove was`t.

As i said, i have cut off a good tab to put behind the one thats stripped and screw into that, or if its the adjustable tab i take that out and put one from another box in its place. I do these methods if the box is cemented or plastered into wall.

meercat wrote: »
    try 4mm self tapper or wood screw.sometimes if you place a stripped back copper strand,earth from 1.5 t+e ,into the lug it is possible to get tight connection from wood screw.

Yes other good methods, the wood screw is a good one if you are happy with the look or get some that look well. Copper strand another good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

3.5*40 or 3.5*50 pozi are the handiest woodscrew for bad lugs

it's also possible to 'tap' the back of the box afaik

replacing boxes would be last resort anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

Plumbers PTFE Tape wrapped around the original screw can also work. Otherwise recommend a 3.5mm rethreader (which is a Tap as discussed above with a handle - like a screwdriver) available from any electrical wholesaler.
    3.5mm_rethreader.jpg

Advertisement