Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical

Options
  • 24-03-2010 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I wish to use the switch of an existing light in garage to connect to a separate switch for an outdoor security light

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You need to explain a bit more what you want to do.

Do you mean you want to the take the supply from the existing switch, to the new switch to power the outside light?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 johnpnol

Davy wrote: »
    You need to explain a bit more what you want to do.

Do you mean you want to the take the supply from the existing switch, to the new switch to power the outside light?
    yes, I wish to take bthe supply from existing light switch to power outside security light. Thankyou. johnpnol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

johnpnol wrote: »
    yes, I wish to take bthe supply from existing light switch to power outside security light. Thankyou. johnpnol

I don't really know why you would want to take the supply to one switch from another switch...unless you are just changing it from a one gang to a 2 gang switch. There shouldn't be any neutrals at switches so you would still have to take a neutral from an existing light.

the easiest way would be to bring a live neutral and earth from an existing light to your new light. you can then bring a twin brown cable to your new switch so that it can either be turned on from the switch or activiated by the sensor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

aido79 wrote: »
    I don't really know why you would want to take the supply to one switch from another switch...unless you are just changing it from a one gang to a 2 gang switch. There shouldn't be any neutrals at switches so you would still have to take a neutral from an existing light.

the easiest way would be to bring a live neutral and earth from an existing light to your new light. you can then bring a twin brown cable to your new switch so that it can either be turned on from the switch or activiated by the sensor.

it's common practice to 'loop-in' T+E to switches now.

they can also be wired in singles or traditional 'loop-in' to lights

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

M cebee wrote: »
    it's common practice to 'loop-in' T+E to switches now.

they can also be wired in singles or traditional 'loop-in' to lights

I only qualified a couple of years ago but haven't worked in Ireland since. We were always told not to have neutrals at switches as it was bad practice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i was wary at first but it's approved by 'reci'

haven't looked the rules ,wouldn't be allowed in UK afaik

eliminates probs caused by loops at lights and simplifies replacement of fittings

you have to stick with one method within an installation anyhow to avoid confusion

Advertisement