Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dry skin always!!!

• 24-03-2010 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭

No matter what i do, my skin is always dry. When i shower, and get out, it's horrible feeling. it's all stretchy feeling, and very dry. I've started washing and exfoliating in the shower now, instead of after, and it's a little better, but still dry all the time. I've tried so many different products. It's mostly my face i'm bothered about, but the rest of me is very bad too. I've changed shower creams too but it's just useless. Can anyone recommend really good exfoliators and moisturisers please!? it gets quite noticeable when i put on my make up (which i don't do very often so it's not down to that). Cleaning or scrubbing my face very often irritates my skin a lot so, doing it more isn't the answer, well not with the products i have used anyway.

another thing is no matter what product i try i can't seem to get rid of some very stubborn blackheads. with all the things i've tried some have gone so they're less noticeable but still some there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

I suffer the same thing but only on my face, I use Silcocks Base every morning and evening, it's great. Just wet your face, rub on some base and then wash off, leaves a lovely smooth feeling all day. Plus a huge tub is only €4 so no great lose if it doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Littleblondehen

You could be using the wrong exfoliator. The scrubs that contain bits of almond or nut shells are really supposed to be for oilier skin. They have scrubs that use little plasctic balls instead that are better for drier skins.

When did you notice your skin changed? What moisturiser do you use?

You could try putting some baby oil directly after your shower before your skin dries and pat yourself dry. Be careful though it's slippery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 blueeyedblonde

Hi there,
    Few tips
    1. Good to boots/chemist and take a course of evening primrose oil, 3 months and you will see visible results
    1. Next pop into a health food shop and ask for a bottle of sweet almond oil, (you can get it in chemist too but much more expensive,)and use this as a body cream, I put it into an old spray bottle, cos I usually end up spilling it in bathroom, (not good), add a few drops of oils if you wish, (laveder, petitgrain-my fav)
    2. For dry skin on face, dry to use oils (i know you think they might make your skin greasy-they wont), there are various brands, declor, clarins, aromatheraphy associates, I think botanics in boots do a version too, body shop have one too.
    1. Silcocks base and emoillent cream in chemist are good for washing too,
    hope this helps

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭belle_09

I find Clinque's Moisture Surge is great for really dry skin on face. Worked really well for me and cleared up dry skin quickly. Would definitely recommend trying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 trickortreat

johnsons baby oil, use on wet skin,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Thanks for the replies, very helpful! I might give the baby oil a go first, as it's probably the cheapest and easiest option.

What is Silcocks Base? And where would i get it? is it a moisturiser or cleanser?

My skin hasn't changed really, it's always been dry. It's just bothering me more now. Problem is I like to wear an SPF when i'm out during the day so if it was possible i'd like a cream with very minimum of spf15, preferably more. And the other thing is actually while i think of it, i use sun cream for it's spf, but the brands i've tried none of them are decent moisturisers. I can't wear moisturiser and sun cream....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Littleblondehen

Thanks for the replies, very helpful! I might give the baby oil a go first, as it's probably the cheapest and easiest option.

What is Silcocks Base? And where would i get it? is it a moisturiser or cleanser?

My skin hasn't changed really, it's always been dry. It's just bothering me more now. Problem is I like to wear an SPF when i'm out during the day so if it was possible i'd like a cream with very minimum of spf15, preferably more. And the other thing is actually while i think of it, i use sun cream for it's spf, but the brands i've tried none of them are decent moisturisers. I can't wear moisturiser and sun cream....!

Silcocks base is a thick emollient cream, it can be used as moisturiser or as soap and you can get it in a chemist.

La Roche Posay do a really good range of moisturisers which have an SPF in them, can also be found in chemists. Clarins, Clinque, all those high end products will contain a good SPF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SueWho

If you find Silcocks Base a bit thick as a moisturiser you could try Aqueous Cream- it's the same ingredients but the texture is more like moisturiser. They're always on the same shelf in a chemist.

I've been having the same kind of problems with my skin lately too- I use aqueous cream during the day and bio oil or more aqueous at night. My skin is still in bits though, nothing seems to be helping. I got a Clinique foudation and SFP moisturiser especially for dry skin and even when I use them together (the moisturiser is meant for using under makeup) my skin looks good for an hour or so but eventually starts to flake again. Disaster. I've kinda given up hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 LittleWing

I'm exactly the same as you. Really dry skin. My skin is also really sensitive and I suffer from eczema. I've tried pretty much everything throughout the years (even everything else mentioned in this thread) and the best I've found are:

La Roche Posay hydreane riche for my face and St Ives 24 hour moisture on my body.

These are first things that have actually worked for me! I load them on when I get out of the shower and they keep my skin soft all day. Also using a body brush to remove any dead skin beforehand is great.

Anyway I had to share because this problem has been making me miserable for years and the difference since I've started using both of these is amazing.

I swear by La Roche Posay.

There is an all over body cream called Lipikar Baume which is just fantastic, my daughter's skin gets chapped and this is the only thing that works.

I also use their hydraphase moisturiser which has an SPF 15 and it's the best moisturiser I've ever used.

It's relatively inexpensive too - for what you get. I think the Body cream was €14.50 for a big tube and the hydraphase was €18.50 for a normal size pump bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

My skin was really dry and quite flakey lately, and I was talking to a beautician, she said basically, my skin has become very sensitive so using moisturiser and toner was just irritating it. She recommended I used the No 7 day cream moisturiser, it's perfume free.
    I've been using it for about 2 weeks now and the difference is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭dresstoimpress

For your face, I'd suggest a face mask of asprin disolved in a drop of water mixed with a teaspoon of jocabo oil (from the health shop). Rub it in and leave on for 5 mins, before scrubbing it off with a face cloth. I got this tip on line a few months ago and find it brilliant. The oil is softening, and the asprin exfoliates and heals.
    Oil of ulay "total effects" is really good too, I use it twice a day, feels lovely. Would notice the differance if I missed a day.
    For your skin baby oil is good, and the baby soft-wash as shower gel. The body-shop body butters are excellent too, and they smell fab!;)
    Hope this helps!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

I have dry skin too and find the dermalogica range really good. I use the cleanser too. I rarely exfoliate, I just find it too drying, never found one that suited me.

Aqueous cream is great too, the nurses in my first job were obsessed with it and got me hooked too. It's so cheap as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Another option could be the heating in your home is causing very dry air.

I live in a v cold climate in Boston at the moment (and i know back home has been v cold also) so we have the heating on constantly which takes all the moisture out of the air.

This messes up my sinuseseses/sinii (no idea what the plural of sinus is!) and really drys out my skin. But i got a humidifer for my room and its excellant for both my sinuseses and my skin, seriously recomend it. My skin is perfect at the mo but it was v rough b4 i got the humidifer.

I got a really good one for $50 so you should be able to get the same for 50Euro or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

OP do you have dry or dehydrated skin? I always thought I'd dry skin (flaky with a breakout area) until I had a facial and the beautician told me I'd dehydrated skin. She gave me a few samples of Guinot products and to this day I have never looked back. Even my breakout area has cleared up (touch wood!).

I've started cleansing, toning and moisturising using mainly Guinot products. They are expensive but they do last for a good while. I also use La Roche-Posay Hydraphase which has been mentioned above, when I want a lighter moisturiser - which is something I never thought I'd need but the cleansing/toning helps big time.

Every week I then exfoliate with Gommage Biologique from Guinot which is fantastic. It doesn't have any bits in it but it is a sort of gel. It's hard to describe. however if my skin really needs it, I use the Gommage Grain D'eclat which has bits in it. Now I'm not loaded but I did buy the Gommage Biologique after I used the sample and it does last. I still have the sample of the other exfoliator.

To top it off I also use a mask once a week after exfoliating. I use Masque Essentiel Nutrition Comfort from Guinot too. Again still living off the sample but I will buy it eventually.

I was never one to listen to beauticians trying to rep certain products however after trying the free samples they gave me from Guinot I bought the cleanser/toner/masque/exfolicator/moisturiser and I've been using them for a good while now and my skin has improved dramatically.

I've also started using some Clairns products from free samples a family member has given me. I use their hand cream for my very dry skin.

Good luck OP :). Hope this has help. I suggest if you can afford it, go for a facial and take all the free samples before committing yourself. Or better yet go to the beauty counters (Clairns etc..) talk to them about dry skin and ask for samples. DON'T BUY until you've tested them!! I'm of the opinion that only certain products will work with certain skin. For me Clinque made me skin worse.

Advertisement