Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congrats on your Election

Options
  • 24-03-2010 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I just saw that our new president has been elected with a huge landslide 68% of the vote and the other officers also received huge endorsements.

Eh, 68% of a low turnout in a one horse race for the man who ensured (according to his election posters) there was no reduction in library opening hours. (no body counts Sundays anymore).

Ok, I know this is very unfair on Paul, who will no doubt do what he can but doesn't the result show there is a complete disconnect between the student body and the Union.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

A landslide election victory aint too difficult when you are running unopposed . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Hold on...

One in three people who bothered voting actually voted to get rid of the only candidate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Sure did, its a pretty reasonable thing to do when there's only one candidate and you don't like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

I really don't think he should be given the job. 1/3 of people in the college who voted don't want him there. That should be reason enough to have a re-election.. With some opposition maybe..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I know this is very unfair on Paul, who will no doubt do what he can

In all fairness, I doubt he'll do anything. They never seem to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

I voted to Re-open nominations in the Presidential election, mainly to show my dissatisfaction at the musical chairs on the student union, where they all seem to change places annually.

Saying that, there would be little point in actually re-opening the nominations, because the same levels of apathy will still be there and it would just be a waste of money, anyone who seriously wanted to become President would have applied before the deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

A landslide election victory aint too difficult when you are running unopposed . . .

Yeah reminds me of how Saddam Hussein ran the show back in the day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I wonder if Donnacha would say he's going to run again and then drop out of the race (Again) just to try and get other people not to sign up.......not gonna happen anyway.

That said, I think Donnacha's UCDSU career is well and truely over, so he'd probably know better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Fad wrote: »
    I wonder if Donnacha would say he's going to run again and then drop out of the race (Again) just to try and get other people not to sign up.......not gonna happen anyway.

That said, I think Donnacha's UCDSU career is well and truely over, so he'd probably know better.

I assume you have heard about what put a stoppers to Donnacha's USI campaign this week? . . . ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭getting worse

I have heard rumours .. yes. Certainly doesn't fill you with any confidence in them. The Union should deal with them straight away and explain to the general student body what, if anything, has happened. Letting rumours fly arround college does them no good at all.

Uncontested elections, in fighting, paid years off. rumours (parties, free beer, food), playing politics, sure there is no time left to anything useful.

If those in the SU are doing worthwhile work, please let us know what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Come over to the UCC forum for a look too, we're trying to figure out what the fcuk it is that they do too

Advertisement