Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman knocked down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Got caught in the tail backs from it at 18:00 as I was heading through town to the Ennis road and had to drop somebody off on Henry street on my way. All the traffic lights from Punches Cross to Sarsfield Street had been turned off for almost two hours and not a garda in sight to direct the traffic during peak times.

Seems a bit backwards that something like that could cause major congestion across the town. Surely they could have shut the lane where the accident happened and had gardai direct traffic around it, rather than just turning off the traffic lights literally across town with no form of supervision.

Would really hate for any major incident to happen in Limerick as any form of traffic management seems beyond the boy and girls in blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

Kess73 wrote: »
    Got caught in the tail backs from it at 18:00 as I was heading through town to the Ennis road and had to drop somebody off on Henry street on my way. All the traffic lights from Punches Cross to Sarsfield Street had been turned off for almost two hours and not a garda in sight to direct the traffic during peak times.

Seems a bit backwards that something like that could cause major congestion across the town. Surely they could have shut the lane where the accident happened and had gardai direct traffic around it, rather than just turning off the traffic lights literally across town with no form of supervision.

Would really hate for any major incident to happen in Limerick as any form of traffic management seems beyond the boy and girls in blue.
    Nice of you to ask how the lady was by the way.
    It's idiots like you who only care about yourselves that make me glad i left Limetick.
    The filth on the streets are nothing compared to selfish ****s like you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

gihj wrote: »
    It's idiots like you who only care about yourselves that make me glad i left Limetick.

wow. i mean i agree but wow:)

lets hope that lady is ok. the driver and the ladies family must be really upset tonight

Icky Thump wrote: »
    wow. i mean i agree but wow:)

lets hope that lady is ok. the driver and the ladies family must be really upset tonight
    Always ranks me icky,the city has so many problems and every now and then you have morons on here giving out about the lady on the ennis road or the man in the blue van outside the raddison.
    Some things really aren't that important in the grand scheme of things.:mad:

exactly. its irritating that when an elderly lady is seriously hurt and you have people giving out about the traffic.......................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

:rolleyes:

Do you sit around thinking about the 1000s dying in Africa?
    Most people i know only have one life so there's no point worrying about what happens to other people

:rolleyes:

Do you sit around thinking about the 1000s dying in Africa?
    Most people i know only have one life so there's no point worrying about what happens to other people

No and i don't have a problem sitting in traffic either.
    Difference is there is an old lady and numerous others injured and upset tonight.
    If you are worried about Africa may i direct you to the concern website maybe http://www.concern.net/.
    Otherwise take your concern for me elsewhere thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Difference is there is an old lady and numerous others injured and upset tonight.
    If you are worried about Africa may i direct you to the concern website maybe http://www.concern.net/.
    Gihj, the poster stated that they were sitting in traffic at 18.00. There was news reports about this accident on the national radio stations, announcing the womans condition wasnt known, but she was alive and taken to the regional.

Don't presume the poster didnt already know how the woman was.

dont help concern doh. concern are a horrible horrible excuse for a charity.

@fighting irish

the problem is people giving out about been stuck in traffic because an old lady came close to been killed today by our over aggresive traffic. i mean when the traffic lights where turned off today the traffic went mental. all of a sudden its ok to weave in and out of lanes and try to get out of town as fast as possible. drivers in this city are an absolute disgrace.

zuroph wrote: »
    Gihj, the poster stated that they were sitting in traffic at 18.00. There was news reports about this accident on the national radio stations, announcing the womans condition wasnt known, but she was alive and taken to the regional.

Don't presume the poster didnt already know how the woman was.
    You mean just because she was ok then the only issue is the traffic disruption??
    I would imagine the shock alone would be more important,not to mind the drivers condition.
    The point is the traffic disruption was irrelevant.
    The poster didn't state the ladies condition.
    Yours is a nonsense argument to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

I think Kess73 highlighted the fact that because the Guards failed dismally to respond appropriately to the original accident, they made it much more likely that ANOTHER accident would occur, by turning all the lights off and allowing an unsupervised free-for-all at peak traffic time. That could be construed as showing more concern for peoples safety, than all this moral high-horsing that is going on here. Unless someone states baldly that they don't care about the woman's condition, I think it is only fair to assume that they feel the normal empathy for that persons well-being.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

I can see why people are worried about the woman but why give a f*ck about the lorry driver? Those guys have an unfair advantage.

I think Kess73 highlighted the fact that because the Guards failed dismally to respond appropriately to the original accident, they made it much more likely that ANOTHER accident would occur, by turning all the lights off and allowing an unsupervised free-for-all at peak traffic time. That could be construed as showing more concern for peoples safety, than all this moral high-horsing that is going on here. Unless someone states baldly that they don't care about the woman's condition, I think it is only fair to assume that they feel the normal empathy for that persons well-being.

I suggest you go read his post again then.
    He clearly states his issue is with the disruption.
    He also only mentions how a serious incident would impact on city traffic,and not safety.
    My issue is not with Kess.
    I suggest you get down of your soap box "horse".

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Cool it down, guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

There is only one person losing the cool here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

I suggest you go read his post again then.
    He clearly states his issue is with the disruption.
    He also only mentions how a serious incident would impact on city traffic,and not safety.
    My issue is not with Kess.
    I suggest you get down of your soap box "horse".
    Christ will you relax will ya!!!
    First poster stated to avoid driving there because there was a woman hit, second poster stated that the police are pretty useless with dealing with such situations and you go and act like somebody pissed in your mother's face!
    There's no issue here, you're just making one. Nobody disrespected her at all. Everyone's thought's are with her and her family unless otherwise stated. I suggest you get off your moral high horse.

God that's mature of you.
    I know i am but what are you:rolleyes:.
    Feel free to reply to my posts when you grow up.

Christ will you relax will ya!!!
    First poster stated to avoid driving there because there was a woman hit, second poster stated that the police are pretty useless with dealing with such situations and you go and act like somebody pissed in your mother's face!
    There's no issue here, you're just making one. Nobody disrespected her at all. Everyone's thought's are with her and her family unless otherwise stated. I suggest you get off your moral high horse.
    Sorry mate but i don't remember addressing you.
    I would prefer if you showed me (and my mother) a little more respect.
    Keep your disgusting posts to yourself please.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

God that's mature of you.
    I know i am but what are you:rolleyes:.
    Feel free to reply to my posts when you grow up.

Think you just proved his point.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Is the woman okay or did she die? :confused:

• Advertisement

Yes I did complain about the way it was done. I am amazed that more were not hit by cars this evening. All the lights between Punches Cross and Sarsfield street were off, and cars were shooting through and taking chances to get through junctions. This caused more disruptions and had even more people taking chances.

I did not see one garda at any of the traffic lights to stop the dangerous driving that was happening due to their being no active traffic system (the lights) and on Hnery Street itself where the accident happened there were only a few gardai at the point where the accident happened, who were seemingly oblivious to cars trying to force their way into lanes and force their way into already congested areas.

Yes it was bad a woman was hit by a car, but pretty much every radio report from 17:30 to 18:30 said she was alive and in hospital. But the total lack of any control over the insuing situation meant that there was a real risk of further injury.

Getting somewhere late because of an accident on the road is no big deal, as getting the injured to hospital is more important. But being stuck in congested traffic with people taking stupid risks which was caused by all the traffic lights being turned off with no traffic control from the Gardai? That's a problem.

My point was that turning off the lights without any garda presence to act as traffic control lead to congestion that had the potential to cause further accidents. At no point did I say that it bugged me to be delayed or anything like that.

But thanks for the nice comments, it's always nice to get an intelligent reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mountainkitty

guards were directing traffic at corner of leavy's on o'connell street when I passed at 5.30 - ish! all I'll say is a free for all may have had more order! These incidents happen, we can only try and get on! Hopefully the lady is ok, the congestion has cleared and we're all safe at home ;)

so, who was at fault?

so, who was at fault?

Well my guess is whoever decided that all the traffic lights as far as Punches Cross needed to be out, as well as the lights on Mallow Street and the other streets feeding onto Henry street.

Would have been much safer to just close the lane the accident happened in, and have gardai manage the traffic on that end of Henry street into one lane, because at least at that point it would have been just traffic heading in one direction. As it turned out, it became traffic on lots of different streets, going in different directions all competing and ignoring basic rules of the road and road safety.

If you meant who was at fault between the woman and the truck, well I don't think that matters very much to the person hit by the truck right now, and probably does not matter to the driver of the truck either, as I would imagine that both are going througfh different types of distress over the incident.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Well my guess is whoever decided that all the traffic lights as far as Punches Cross needed to be out, as well as the lights on Mallow Street and the other streets feeding onto Henry street.

Would have been much safer to just close the lane the accident happened in, and have gardai manage the traffic on that end of Henry street into one lane, because at least at that point it would have been just traffic heading in one direction. As it turned out, it became traffic on lots of different streets, going in different directions all competing and ignoring basic rules of the road and road safety.

If you meant who was at fault between the woman and the truck, well I don't think that matters very much to the person hit by the truck right now, and probably does not matter to the driver of the truck either, as I would imagine that both are going througfh different types of distress over the incident.
    I meant the latter. I hope all recover ok. But I am curious as to how a woman can be knocked down on Henry street by a truck. It definitely will matter in the coming days. I also think its likely its a question the Truck driver is asking himself..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I meant the latter. I hope all recover ok. But I am curious as to how a woman can be knocked down on Henry street by a truck. It definitely will matter in the coming days. I also think its likely its a question the Truck driver is asking himself..

Not really fair to be laying the blame straight at the truck driver here without knowing any of the facts. Driving through the city every evening I see near misses with pedestrians ignoring lights and running across in front of traffic. You have to remember how much higher up a truck driver is as well so if somebody decided to dash across the road in front of a truck he would have very little chance of seeing them. If it was a case that he broke a light or was going excessively fast then that's a different matter altogether, either way hopefully the woman is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Icky Thump wrote: »
    dont help concern doh. concern are a horrible horrible excuse for a charity.

@fighting irish

the problem is people giving out about been stuck in traffic because an old lady came close to been killed today by our over aggresive traffic. i mean when the traffic lights where turned off today the traffic went mental. all of a sudden its ok to weave in and out of lanes and try to get out of town as fast as possible. drivers in this city are an absolute disgrace.

most drivers everywhere are a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

People seem to be assuming that the truck driver either went out of his way to knock her down or she jumped under the front of his truck.

It was obviously an accident and she broke her legs. It's not the first accident and won't be the last. If this happened on George's Quay nobody would have cared because it wouldn't have brought the city centre to a halt.

• Advertisement

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Not really fair to be laying the blame straight at the truck driver here without knowing any of the facts. Driving through the city every evening I see near misses with pedestrians ignoring lights and running across in front of traffic. You have to remember how much higher up a truck driver is as well so if somebody decided to dash across the road in front of a truck he would have very little chance of seeing them. If it was a case that he broke a light or was going excessively fast then that's a different matter altogether, either way hopefully the woman is ok.
    I'm not laying any blame on the truck driver, if anything I'd presume the opposite. what I meant was the truck driver will be replaying it over and over in his mind i bet. I drive for a living, and regularily have close calls due to poor decision making by others. It doesnt mean i wouldnt be affected if I hurt or killed someone.

Any update on the womans condition?

Advertisement