Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DJ Course/Training?

Options
  • 24-03-2010 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have been contemplating the idea of looking for a DJ course for a while now so started to browse the internet today in search.
    I've no experience in DJing whatsoever, apart from using a demo version of VirtualDJ on the laptop until the demo expired! But would love to get some experience, as a hobby if not more!

I came across this http://www.vivamusicstudios.com/Home.htm in Limerick.
    Anyone have any experience with this? Or recommend another one if there are other ones in or around Limerick City?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Viva is a decent spot to be fair, theyre all sound in there and its very easy get your foot in the door regarding gigs etc if you decide to take it more seriously, purely because your hanging around with people and talking to people who are involved in the whole scene around Limerick.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

yes dan at viva would sort ya.. also have a look on youtube and check out the djing forum here on boards if ya have any specific questions ill try help ya just pm.. djing is pretty easy so depending on your musical ability you may not even need a course.. as for gigs you may get lucky but for every dj i know in limerick gigging i know 100 more that aint.. if you not willing to take it in the a** from a few certain club owners then forget it..

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

€90 for a day course - http://www.facebook.com/pages/ENNIS-COCLARE/THE-QUEENS-DJ-ACADEMY/321796295368?ref=ts

a mate of mine is running it with 2 others, they really know their stuff. Check the link for details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Cheers for the replies!
    Stab*City wrote: »
    if you not willing to take it in the a** from a few certain club owners then forget it..

do you mean as in trying to get to play in a club but not getting the chance??
    Stab*City wrote: »
    djing is pretty easy so depending on your musical ability you may not even need a course..
    I wouldn't know how to describe my music ability at all but i love all types of music and have always loved to be able to DJ!
    Be it Djing at a house party, just being a "bedroom DJ" or bringing it up a few levels and trying to play in clubs etc!
    exioot wrote: »
    €90 for a day course - http://www.facebook.com/pages/ENNIS-COCLARE/THE-QUEENS-DJ-ACADEMY/321796295368?ref=ts

a mate of mine is running it with 2 others, they really know their stuff. Check the link for details

cheers for that link, i will def have a look at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Scuba, if your really really into and you get good , you should have no problems getting gigs if your somewhat pro-active, i.e. asking the promoters for a few free slots here and there. Alot depends on what style you will end up playing, but for now I wouldnt worry about any of that, I would just enjoy learning it and you'll find your style yourself. At least the lads in Viva will keep you away from the cheese!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

in Viva, would their 8 week workshop be suitable for me? (never DJ'd before, used decks etc before)
    And does anyone know the price for it?

Cheers for the replies!

do you mean as in trying to get to play in a club but not getting the chance??

I wouldn't know how to describe my music ability at all but i love all types of music and have always loved to be able to DJ!
    Be it Djing at a house party, just being a "bedroom DJ" or bringing it up a few levels and trying to play in clubs etc!

cheers for that link, i will def have a look at it!

Exactly and if you do get lucky and have a chance to play in a club you better play what the promoter wants to hear or thats your future gigs gone.. Oh and dont expect to make any money club djing in Limerick the promoters only pay pittance unless you have a dublin/foreign accent/passport..

If you have always wanted to get into djing then go for it..

zig wrote: »
    Scuba, if your really really into and you get good , you should have no problems getting gigs if your somewhat pro-active, i.e. asking the promoters for a few free slots here and there. Alot depends on what style you will end up playing, but for now I wouldnt worry about any of that, I would just enjoy learning it and you'll find your style yourself. At least the lads in Viva will keep you away from the cheese!!

One mans cheese is another mans butter (did i just type that:D).. I know loads of excellent pro-active dj's in limerick who have not gigged here in years.. So much so that some are even turning now to the Internet to be heard or trying to get their own nights off the ground.. If you do get a gig make sure you get paid!! even if its only free drink for you and your dj buddy..

in Viva, would their 8 week workshop be suitable for me? (never DJ'd before, used decks etc before)
    And does anyone know the price for it?

Im sure dan will show ya all you need to know.. Plus i heard you might even get a gig through it.. I think it was around 350 but im not 100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

What ever you decide to do you should definitely check out elleskins videos on http://www.djtutor.com/ even if you do go for lessons (which i wouldnt recommend) at least you will know what there talking about.

Advertisement