Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista error

• 24-03-2010 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have a genuine dell PC that is about a year and a half old (so 0.5 years out of support :( )

The following error message about an evaluation version of the OS came up recently, but as you can see from the screenshot, its activated and everything is fine.

Anyone any ideas whats going on?

PS - I havent dont anything funny like install, re-install, upgrade, downgrade or anything like that. The O/S hasnt change (other than service packs) since it was built in the factory!

vistakp.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I would get on to Dell all the same; if the CSR gives you lip just respond telling them that according to your computer, they gave you an Evaluation Version of the Operating System and that it rather implies they acted in a criminal matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

I tried to send them a message...but it requires a service tag....as soon as you enter one, it just says PFO (in a nicer way!).

Presume same will be true on the phone :(

Looks to me like you have a pre-release version of Service Pack 2 installed. Note that the version says "Service Pack 2, v.286" The RTM version just says "Service Pack 2." Try uninstalling SP2 and install it again using Windows Update or by downloading the installation package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

jabaroon wrote: »
    I tried to send them a message...but it requires a service tag....as soon as you enter one, it just says PFO (in a nicer way!).

Presume same will be true on the phone :(
    Try the phone.

The next step is emailing the Executive Offices.

After that its a small claim.

Before that of course, try to install the latest SP2 package from microsoft.

Karsini wrote: »
    Looks to me like you have a pre-release version of Service Pack 2 installed. Note that the version says "Service Pack 2, v.286" The RTM version just says "Service Pack 2." Try uninstalling SP2 and install it again using Windows Update or by downloading the installation package.

Holy krap....I think that could be it. I remember being advised to install a pre-release of SP2 because of an issue I was having ages ago!!

Nice one lads....am downloading proper SP2 as we speak.....fingers crossed

Will let you know.
    Jab

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »

Fair play! That was it allright. Recon that would have taken a bit of a miracle for dell to fix without a system restore!
    Cheers,
    Jab

Advertisement