Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Wireless "Hidden Network" Issue

• 24-03-2010 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been having trouble for the last week or so with my NTL wireless set-up. I cannot consistantly connect to the net on the wireless network. It will connect from time to time (and rumble along at a very slow speed) but usually I get a "hidden network" error.

If I connect the laptop directly to the router I can get reasonably fast connectivity. However I have a PC, PS3, XBox 360 and an iPhone that I can't do this with.

This issue has just appeared out of nowhere. I haven't updated an hardware, software or settings. I've tried updating the firmware on the router to no avail. NTL have insisted it is an issue with my PC, however it is happening on all of my wireless devices so I can't see how that is the case.

I'm using a Netgear WGR614 router and running Vista on both the laptop and PC. The modem is a standard NTL modem (no branding).

Has anyone else had this problem lately? Were you able to get it resloved?

Thanks,
    John.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you probably have another wireless network interfering with yours.

download and install inSSIDer on a PC with a wireless card/dongle and it will show you what channels the other wireless networks in range of you are on and where those channels overlap.

you'll want to find the quietest channel available by seeing which ones have the least amount of overlap and then change your wireless channel to that on your router.

you'll want to have an ethernet cable handy as you might well end up losing the connection totally if it doesn't work first time. :)

it's trial and error anyway, just see how you go with that.

it's also worth mentioning that things like cordless dect phones, microwaves, baby monitors, tv senders, bluetooth in phones and consoles and many other wireless type devices all use the same 2.4ghz spectrum that your wireless network does and they can all have a detrimental effect, so its not always other wifi networks doing the damage.

good luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Thanks Vibe666. I'll give that a go. But I don't think the issue is with other wireless networks. A friend is having the same trouble with their NTL wireless and the digging that I did on the net showed a number of people having trouble with this particular Netgear router and Windows 7 (although solutions are few and far between and haven't worked for me thus far).

The fact that the issue hasn't shown up before and that now myself and someone else, both with the same hardware and provider, are experencing the same issue at the same time makes me think it's something in our set-up. A Windows update for example? It would explain why the issue is there for multiple people at the one time and also tie in with the Windows 7 issue.

Although that doesn't explain why all my devices are having the same issue. Unless of course Windows automatically updated some setting or other on the router!? I've checked the router settings and nothing seems to be funny there. It's broadcasting and it's not limiting access points or anything. I'm no wireless expert but I have a half decent idea about this sort of thing and I'm utterly :confused:! What's worse is the fact that from time to time the network is visible and my devices can find it, but its really slow.

Advertisement