Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outside perceptions of Waterford

• 24-03-2010 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/20/world/europe/20ireland.html?src=me&ref=world

Just thought I might post this up again as I dont think many people might have seen it originally , I know its about the alleged terror attack and its in another thread but its the first few paragraphs that I want people to read .
    It just puts this whole debate of city or town into perspective when you think of it , are we just a small backwater town in the middle of nowhere where nothing much happens ?
    I dont want to stir up that whole stupid Waterford /KK thing but I'd like to know if people agree with that description of Waterford or is it way off the mark?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Why would anyone ever care what the New York Times thought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭J-Fit

I agree somewhat. Quiet? Yes. Old? Yes. Harbour Town? Yes. I wouldn't be offended by any of that though; I mean I don't think it's meant in a derogatory way. Al Quaida activity is out of place here. You only have to listen to the humourous thought of muslim terrorists being detained at Tramore Garda Station to show that we all find it a little bit out of the blue. By international standards Waterford is a town and should probably be considered so here. I'd say the same for Cork. As for the quiet part, as we have all lived here all our lives, the former vibrancy of Waterford City dissapeared so gradually that you mightn't have noticed. It would however be very obvious to outside visitors who will notice that there isn't a whole lot going on in town during the day or night. It's still good ol' Waterford though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Every county in ireland is pretty much a small backward town in their eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Steel Pump

I wonder what they taught of the motorway on the way down?? I hope they were impressed,

Why is everyone so self conscious of our citys, The reason its defined as a city is because its the largest settlement of population for the area, its size is irrelevant in 'international standards' whatever they are. It's an administrative term, the place is what it is - chill out

You'll find places in America called citys which have less the 10,000 people in them, so I wouldn't be overly worried what our hot shot American taught when he arrived here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I'd be more concerned about the worldwide perception of us if they read that seven Al Qaeda members had been released without charge and a file sent to the DPP :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I actually came across that article, somewhat modified, on the Herald Tribune on a flight a few days ago and kept a copy that I was going to scan in and put here (and still might) for the laugh.

I think we have to remember that these guys are trying to write a compelling story, and the idea of Al Qaeda showing up in a backwater in Ireland is an interesting story because it's the last place you expect to find them -- at least if you're from the US and imagine that everyone that lives in modern Ireland is white and looks like a leprechaun. More interesting and straight forward than, say, a slight subdued regional capital with moderate amounts of recent investment and immigration.

And anyway, the guy more or less contradicts himself later on in the article when he talks about things like "Waterford has had its share of Muslim migrants in the past 15 years", and about the celtic tiger and following recession, etc. Doesn't sound like a backwater really, where there usually aren't changes in the local economy or in the demographics.

Bizarrely enough I was in a backwater in a developing country today and believe me there's a big difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Come on lads , what are ye expecting Waterford to be up there on the list of great cities of the world , stuck somewhere between New York and Tokyo .

We are a small little town , on a little island , just to the left of Europe .
    And long may it last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Meh I love here because its where Im from and most of my friends are here. Second I can financially do it Im off down to wexico to my girlfriend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The ousiders view of Waterford is about right - slightly shabby "port town" underdeveloped, strike-riven, and now full of Islamic terrorists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Did the NY times happen to mention was Kilkenny a town or a city :) only joking.

Of course they are going to look at us like that, the whole of Waterford would barely fit on subburb in one of the major US cities.

Keep in mind a "small town" in America prob has a population of 10-15 thousand people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

All you have to do is look at the way Bord Failte tries to portray us to the American market...lost of green fields, stone walls, wooly jumpers, castles and fishing. No wonder the impression of us is inaccurate!

Advertisement