Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inferno 8 Street Fighter 4 Tournament

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Bush80 wrote: »
    Is the tournament going to be on the first week of the month from now on then and is this gong to be the last sf4 tournament?

If it is the last, will we be starting the seedings from scratch again as it's a new game?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Makes sense to me to reset the seedings, though I could see a case for it either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Makes sense to me to reset the seedings, though I could see a case for it either way.
    The cream will rise to the top....so it shouldn't affect the (previous) top seeds anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

Hey Sean,

If you want a few Guile mirrors I'll definitely be at this one, I was away this weekend so I couldn't.
    Yeah cool man. That would be great. You're on PSN aren't you? I must add you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

If it is the last, will we be starting the seedings from scratch again as it's a new game?

Its being a new game and all , seems like the obvious thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Notice that none of the lads who want it reset are currently seeded. :p

Seriously though, I wouldn't have an issue with it. I'll probably be going T-hawk as a secondary along with sim so my sim seeding would be pointless anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Kirby wrote: »

you_win_the_prize.jpg

Omgz seedz :rolleyes:

Kirby wrote: »

Seriously though, I wouldn't have an issue with it. I'll probably be going T-hawk as a secondary along with sim so my sim seeding would be pointless anyway.

Seeding isn't character-specific anyway

I don't really care either way.

Was just asking a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Seeding isn't character-specific anyway

Well in a way it is. Apart from bush, the rest of us are much better with our mains. Will probably take a while to get up to speed with a new char.

So resetting them wouldnt bother me as I'll be useless anyway with the big hawk for a while :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Those who dedicate the most time to the game will be same top seeds.
    Same as right now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

A-Trak wrote: »
    Those who dedicate the most time to the game will be same top seeds.
    Same as right now.

I dunno.

I can think of 3 people off the top of my head who could easily make top 8 who aren't there atm.

No way do the seeds 100% represent everyone's skill level, just tourney placements.

Best system to represent skill level would be kinda the same way they do tier lists , if everyone fought each other 1st to 10 and made this list based on the score, 6 - 4 , 10 - 0 etc

Would also show interesting stuff like how

-player A dominates player B
    -but player C dominates player A,
    -yet player B beats C most times.

Obviously this would be way too much effort but it'd be interesting to see the scene laid out in a graph like that , just like a tier list.

Still wouldn't be 100% accurate though :p

Also I disagree with "Those who dedicate the most time to the game will be same top seeds" in that for example I'd play the game a hell of a lot more then Tin, a hell of a lot more. But I know well that Tins a better player.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

YAY! I got my stick today! :D. Total different ball game to pad :(. Still, I got a SRK -> FADC -> Ultra with Ryu so thats good :D

The question is though,

To stick or not to stick for the tourney? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Not sure if I'll be there or not, but if I come, I'm going to need to use someone else's stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Sisko wrote: »
    Also I disagree with "Those who dedicate the most time to the game will be same top seeds" in that for example I'd play the game a hell of a lot more then Tin, a hell of a lot more. But I know well that Tins a better player.

Tin's coming from a background of rock solid fundamentals in alot of other versions though and just translating it to 4. He keeps it simple and has a game plan, a completely foreign concept to a player like me :D

I agree with Ken B though, the cream will rise. If you reset the seedings it will last 1 tournament and the better players will all be at the top again. The majority of the changes are too subtle to sway the balance of 'power' in the player base.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Leprekaun wrote: »
    YAY! I got my stick today! :D. Total different ball game to pad :(. Still, I got a SRK -> FADC -> Ultra with Ryu so thats good :D

The question is though,

To stick or not to stick for the tourney? :pac:

Nice! Did you get a TE?

Sagat06 wrote: »
    Tin's coming from a background of rock solid fundamentals in alot of other versions though and just translating it to 4. He keeps it simple and has a game plan, a completely foreign concept to a player like me :D

I agree with Ken B though, the cream will rise. If you reset the seedings it will last 1 tournament and the better players will all be at the top again. The majority of the changes are too subtle to sway the balance of 'power' in the player base.

I dunno... The first tournament I managed to start raising my threat level was lan party. I got no problem with reseeding but it'll take a while and the game to mature before it settles into the "correct" list. People will discover and master stuff at different rates.

Sagat06 wrote: »

That may be, but it is literally a different game, so it doesn't make sense to keep the seeding list from another game. I don't think the list is gonna end up much different either but this seems to make more sense imo.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

We will get the same list again with the exception of Hound moving into the top seeds assuming he regularly attends the tourneys.

Might just take an event or two to get the seeding to normalize though. With no seeding you might get a group with alot of the current top seeds in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fake_roogle

1 and uh don't really mind. Also, it's not been brought up on here so I might as well say it now--what happens if Cobelcog and Hound have to play each other? (for those that don't know, they're pad warriors--one on 360, one on PS3.)

1 and uh don't really mind. Also, it's not been brought up on here so I might as well say it now--what happens if Cobelcog and Hound have to play each other? (for those that don't know, they're pad warriors--one on 360, one on PS3.)

Can sisko's ps2 pad be adapted for xbox?

OTherwise I guess a coin toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Ps2 pad with xbox converter is an option. Though there is a big difference between ps2 pad and ps3 pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yeah.
    PS1/PS2 pads are superior to PS3 pads!

Hate those triggers. SO. MUCH.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Yeah.

The triggers are ****, but would generally only be used for 3xP or 3xK and either Focus or Throw.

Everything else about the DS3 is better than DS1/2.

Can sisko's ps2 pad be adapted for xbox?

OTherwise I guess a coin toss.

I don't actually have a ps2 pad. & the ps1 pad I used to bring is now taken apart (using it to mod my stick)
    animaX wrote: »
    there is a big difference between ps2 pad and ps3 pad.

There is alright, surprisingly. The buttons respond differently as well as the d-pad, very off putting when your used to a ps3 pad. However:
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Yeah.

I agree, when I 1st started playing properly online I wanted to get a converter to use my ps1 pad. I couldnt find anywhere selling one and in the end it was just easier to buy a ps3 pad and hook it up to my PC with USB.

The triggers were an issue alright, more so in 3s.
    The triggers are ****, but would generally only be used for 3xP or 3xK and either Focus or Throw.

Everything else about the DS3 is better than DS1/2.

True indeed , the rest of the pad is better but due to the triggers I'd rate the ps2 better for fighting games, however when you've trained your hands to use a ps3 pad the ps2 pad feels terrible.

Also, R1 is Hard punch and R2 is Hard kick. Only crazy people map focus etc to a single button :p
    Azza wrote: »
    We will get the same list again with the exception of Hound moving into the top seeds assuming he regularly attends the tourneys.

Might just take an event or two to get the seeding to normalize though. With no seeding you might get a group with alot of the current top seeds in it.

Lol azza you seriously think that list will stay 100% the same bar hound? :eek:

Lol azza you seriously think that list will stay 100% the same bar hound? :eek:
    Unless some people have drastically improved, I'd say he's about right. (e: before that gets taken out of context and seen as an asshole jab or something, it's not--it's kinda just the truth. :-/)

Unless some people have drastically improved, I'd say he's about right. (e: before that gets taken out of context and seen as an asshole jab or something, it's not--it's kinda just the truth. :-/)

Jaysis, I wish I had your confidence :D

Jaysis, I wish I had your confidence :D
    I don't even think I'm a good player, I'm probably "OK" but that'd be as far as it goes, and even then in certain matchups that's a stretch. I said this to a few of the guys in Cannes though, it's getting to a point where you're either improving or just playing your same old game no matter what, and to be frank, I saw a lot of that at the 2nd Dublin tournament I went to. I hope I get proved wrong on Saturday. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

bit of a generalized assumption there lads,
    some of the players have been getting better at a rapid level

and just to use this as an example [dont look too much into it]
    i feel i will get alot more wins with the new chun-li ultra, the game is gonna change drastically, with new characters etc

plus sagat players will go down etc etc
    so i dont see how the seeds will stand as is.

Advertisement