Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inferno 8 Street Fighter 4 Tournament

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

To echo what Chopper said if we turn someone away it will probably be the last time we see them if they're new.

I think we can bring the total running time down if we need to.

As an idea I think that deciding on group consoles before things start would be a good idea. One of the things that extended the time was the fact that Hound was in a group that started playing their games on an xbox. This meant that we had to wait. We could have put his group onto a playstation at the start and this would have cut time off the total running time. For this to work I would say that we would need to have two TEs available for every console that could work as loaner sticks for anyone that only has a console specific stick.

We could also start to be stricter on time. I could be wrong but I think it was it was close to three o'clock when we started. This won't reduce the running time much but it will make the ending time more reasonable.

To compensate for this I think we could start using pre-sign up. This would help those whose buses/trains are going to arrive a bit late. They can pre-sign and we can draw them and start their groups. They would have to be counted as having paid so we would have to decide if we would use a paypal or simply use an honour system.

I thought I had more ideas but that's it for the moment.

I prefer the tournaments to be on the last weekend of the month (dunno why, probably because I used to get paid at the end of month). As I have said I think a "super-exclusive" fun tournament would be best for the release of SSFIV. End of the month also gives everyone some time to adjust to super before we hold the very, very serious tournament.

The problem of clashing tournaments was brought up before and I don't think there was an adequete solution put forward.

Holding the tournament on the same day is obviously the worst answer. The community is too small to divide it up that way and I think it's best to try and get everyone going to the same events. The country is small enough that we can make it to any event.

Changing the date to the week before or the week after, seems to defeat the purpose of deciding to have a set monthly tournament. It makes it seem like we are ending up back with the random, ninja tournaments.

We could cancel the Inferno tournaments that clash with other tournaments. I'm also not a fan of this idea as the more tournaments the better.

Perhaps we could keep the tournament on the same weekend but change it to the Sunday. This could lower attendances at the Inferno as demoed by the Lanparty/Gaelcon weekend.

I can't decide and I think I've typed enough for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Just on what you said there.

Regarding running time:

An extra ps3 would have helped things a little. There was a lot of waiting around for the ps3's.

Regarding tournies when super comes out:

I think a FUN not so serious NEW CHARACTER ONLY tourney would be a nice idea for the weekend on release. Then maybe next weekend we get back to the serious inferno stuff.

I've mentioned a new character only tourney a few times , its just an idea, people I've spoken to in person like the idea, but in case there are those that don't I just wanna be clear that I'm not talking about a 15 euro in tourney.

Its just as more of an event celebrating the games release. If there's a prize pot we should have it small.

Anyway its just an idea.

Also to add:

I don't like two tourneys on the same weekend myself personally. Only really cause I'd love to attend both but I'd unlikely be able to spend the time and money on the same weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Why bother with a tournament for "new character only" or whatever on release? Just play casuals instead imo.

Why bother? Something new and exciting to do to celebrate the new game, and as its the weekend of release people are gonna be just getting used to the game so it makes sense to have a more lighthearted one on release weekend and the big important one the next.

Why bother?

For...........Fun?

Seems like an obvious thing to do to me but yeah I am aware there are those that may not like to enter a tournament with out practicing a character and learning match ups and frame data bla bla bla

That's why putting the idea out there. :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Sisko wrote:
    Why bother?

For...........Fun?

Don't know about you but I have fun at the regular tournaments too and the odd casuals I've been too. If I did not enjoy competing I wouldn't go.

I'm with Dreddy on this as in I don't see the point of doing a tournament with new characters only over casuals. Winning such a tournament would mean diddly squat. I mean you going have just as much fun playing causals with SSF IV as in a tournament with just the new characters.

Just my personal opinion.

Having said that if people are interested in it by all means go ahead with it.

I'm not saying regular tourneys aint fun at all just looking for something... I dunno ...amusing, different, silly , lighthearted .. . bla bla to do for the release weekend, we're never gonna do it ever again cause it'd be pointless to do so since people will know the characters very well at a later stage.

The release weekend is the only time this would be something to do.

It'd obviously be a casual tourney for the craic, have casuals going too of course.. .

I dunno its just an idea?

If we just had a normal tourney on release weekend everyone would just pick their sf4 mains and it'd still be a bit all over the place since the game is just out, meaning it still might not be the best idea to have a full on proper 15 euro in tourny at release weekend anyway...

(I'm assuming thats what people against this are looking for correct me if I'm wrong?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

My two cents ;

I heard there is going to be a launch meet on the friday of release?

Also, please don't have tournaments on a sunday, for reasons that

A) Most people will be very very hungover on a Sunday

B) It clashes with some people's religious beliefs, I personally wouldn't be comfortable with one on a Sunday, but that's just me

Playing Street Fighter on a Sunday is against your Religion Ramza? :p

But anyway I dunno I'm not talking about which day yet, its whatever suits, I mean if that idea Ryan had about being able to host a tourney in a pub, it'd be really cool for something like this, a lighthearted tourney with some drinks :D

But unfortunately that'd have to be a Sunday from what I remember.

B ut anyway I'm just talking about the idea of it being a new character only event for the moment, seeing what people think etc.

I was under the impression from the previous threads that the community wanted to run future tournaments in the last week of the month.

Having said that I haven't counted peoples opinions from the other thread. I'll go back over it later and see what the bulk of people want.

Regardless of what date we set we can flexible to avoid other tournaments held by other events and organisations and what not.

sisko wrote:
    it'd still be a bit all over the place since the game is just out, meaning it still might not be the best idea to have a full on proper 15 euro in tourny at release weekend anyway...

Not suggesting a proper full price tourney. If its not a serious tourney and the end result is irrelevant I don't see why you should limit any tourney to just the new characters. Winning such a tournament would mean nothing either way.
    Ramza wrote:
    A) Most people will be very very hungover on a Sunday

B) It clashes with some people's religious beliefs, I personally wouldn't be comfortable with one on a Sunday, but that's just me

I don't think you need worry about the regular Inferno comps because Saturday seems to suit the best overall.

However if other community tournaments are run on a Sunday due to popular demand or for whatever reason then tough luck to the people in column A (some are hungover on Saturdays anyway) and as for column B I would imagine in this day and age most people in the community don't have an issue with doing stuff on a Sunday.

• Advertisement

Azza wrote: »

Not suggesting a proper full price tourney. If its not a serious tourney and the end result is irrelevant I don't see why you should limit any tourney to just the new characters. Winning such a tournament would mean nothing either way.

Its not about the winning I guess, more taking part. Indeed winning means nothing in it, which is why I don't think it should be a pay in tourney (bar the usual price of consoles) Only reason I'm saying new character only is to keep with the *wow new , shiny* vibe from the new release , the new characters being the main new thing about it.

I can understand your position though, I'm looking at it as fun as I'm interested in the new people and look forward to playing ibuki etc.

But your only interested in Bison so it might not be as fun for you I guess.

Its a once off opportunity to do it and imo a fun way to be introduced to the new characters though. But if most people don't like the idea I understand.

Also I agree with your reply to ramza,

its true people are just as likley to be hung over on a Saturday after a Friday night as they are on a Sunday.

Sisko wrote: »
    Playing Street Fighter on a Sunday is against your Religion Ramza?

Yes? (But I do it anyway :pac:)

Well I'm not very religious but even outside of religion I always believed Sunday was a day of rest

I understand your point Azza, but I think it would just be me who would be reluctant to do anything on a Sunday, but I'd prolly just say **** it and go anyway :pac:

Now that I think of it, it doesn't really seem like it's worth addressing

It's just that, I always saw doing something on a Sunday out of the ordinary, like if someone asked me to the cinema on a Sunday, I'd be like ???. I thought that everyone felt the same

Deviating away from the whole Sunday/religion aspect, I think what Sisko said earlier was a good point (abouting getting consoles/groups allocated). It was my first Inferno and I'm not trying to undermine anyone's work or effort or anything, but it seemed a little hectic

I arrived around 1.15ish I'd say, and I was expecting it to start at around 2ish, but it didn't till 3ish, afaik. I'd say sorting groups and consoles out asap when they are drawn would be a great idea not only to save time but for efficiencey's sake

Wait, it IS against your religion to play games on a sunday? What religion are you (just wondering as I never heard that before)

Also just to clear up, t'was Dan that made that point, I just agreed with it and added that we needed more ps3s at the event :D

Wait, it IS against your religion to play games on a sunday? What religion are you (just wondering as I never heard that before)

Also just to clear up, t'was Dan that made that point, I just agreed with it and added that we needed more ps3s at the event :D

Roman Catholic?(ish :pac:)

TBH I'm not at all really religious , but even outside of Religion it was my belief that people were reluctant to do things on Sundays, cause I know I am for one. But I guess I overshot that one, so forget I ever mentioned it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

How about the 2nd week in the month. That way we will have played super for a week and it doesbt clash with christmas and new years.

At the next Inferno we will hire a least one additonal PS3 to speed things up.

Did the tournament really start so late?

I did not think it was long after 2.00pm when it started.

Honestly I don't remember. I think, apart from the ps3 waiting, it ran pretty smoothly, this is only being talked about as it might not be so smooth if we had over 40 players etc.

Well Chunkis felt it went abit too slowly.

Think the main reason was we had several groups of 5 which mean't the event would take longer. The other reasons is that we had to wait for a PS3 to be free for 1 group and the other part is with a random draw for the second round, the draw can't be done at all until all group matches are finished.

Also some people where late arriving due to the big football match that was on that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Another reason it ran later is because people were waiting to play on the end tv which (apparently) had less lag. Turned out that dark onion's test was a false positive, and the tv had just as much lag as the others :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Who is the Ryu in this vid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I think that's Red350 against Chunkis in the group stage.

They were both in the super competitive group.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm dying sick so I will make this quick.

First of all, the level of play al over these videos is so high compared to when I started doing this. Really, you have no idea. There's not a single video that I would consider not worth my time watching. Bear in mind I have trawled through ALOT of stuff :)

There's FADC ultras and 1 frame links all over the place, and feints, all the good stuff. It makes me excited what will happen with Super now so many people have found their feet with fighting games.

playlist is up:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=206B418B20A13D5A

Here's some high lights:

Even the group stage matches were awesome.

SRK has picked up on this one.

A little bit of aggression was all I needed it turns out.

KIRBY!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Love that instant dive kick x 3 into throw. So cheeky.

Fair play as always doom! Indeed the level of play was fantastic from everyone (except me)

Oh and Barry your Cammy impressed me , you've deffo leveled up with her again. Its great to see everyone improving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

(except me)

And me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 daltronica

Can I enter this on the day?:D

Really great matches posted up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

daltronica wrote: »
    Can I enter this on the day?:D

Next tournament is this one. On Saturday...And yes, you sign up on the day.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

It's our first zombie thread :D

We should have a party or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

He's actually John Titor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

This was best Inferno, no doubt. Cause I beat DooM :D

Advertisement