Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Delicious Miss Dahl

Options
  • 24-03-2010 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭

I'm a sucker for a new cookery show, so sat down to watch The Delicious Miss Dahl (Beeb 2) last night with some interest. Missus Minder complains that ol' Soph has yet another string to her bow and should give the cookery programmes a miss, but we persevered. Within minutes it was obvious that the producers had taken the Lawson recipe and changed nothing but the presenter. Food for mood is the theme and Miss Dahl started with Greed. I love a selfish day, she began, one where I get to cook the treats I love and indulge my taste buds

She started by making an omelette Arnold Bennett. Crème frâiche, three eggs, parmesan and haddock for breakfast. You could send a brickies mate to work on that and he'd not look for another meal until dinner. Lunch was a salad of shaved fennel, courgette and ball of buffalo mozzarella the size of the brickies fist. If that wasn't enough, a hunk of sourdough was available to fill any gaps left by the small omlette.

Next on the menu was a batch of peanut butter fudge. Now I know some recipes are difficult to do in small amounts, but this was 800g of sugar - and that was before the other ingredients arrived. A dirty martini and the wisdom of Dorothy Parker sharpened the appetite for roast halibut with a herb sauce and chocolate filled teacups with cherry compote, for six. That was dinner sorted (for the next six days).

At least the producers didn't feel the need to have Soph raiding the fridge for midnight snacks. Mind you, she probably was unable to move:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Sound like she was cooking her old diet as opposed to her new skinny one. She's trying a little too hard to be the new Nigella, and how out of nowhere is she presenting a cooking programme??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I found it hard to believe she ate all that in one day lol.
    There's only one Nigella though, others may try.

Mind you I found the recipes interesting and some of them were yum.
    She's not as irritating as that what's her face with the annoying accent.

Wouldn't go as far as buying her book (presume she has one out or if not will have soon). But might get some of the recipes off the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Didn't have a problem with the size of the servings, didn't think much of what was on the menu though.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

When I first heard about her bringing out a cookbook I was hugely sceptical. However I bought it a few weeks ago and have cooked 6 of her recipes already - really nice too. She also does a bit on her relationship with food over the years which I found interesting.

Was really looking forward to the programme last night.While I loved EVERYTHING she cooked on it, thought it a tad pretentious. Id imagine those inbetweeny bits would alienate a lot of viewers...Will still continue to sky plus it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm deffo going to try that omlette.

As we have no iplayer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭niall_belfast

Can't say that I enjoyed Sophie Dahl's cookery programme..

Anyway..

Anyone else heard that it's going to be axed by the beeb?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a218062/sophie-dahl-cookery-show-to-be-axed.html?rss

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

This show is a self indulgent mess. Cancelled you say? Good.

Advertisement