Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DN001 - ARCHITECTURE

Options
  • 24-03-2010 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Can someone tell me about Architecture and how many points they think it'll be this year? I want to know what qualities a person should have to do well in the course. I am currently a first year in Arts but I only choose it to do geography with computer science. At the moment computer science isn't working out and I don't think I'd be satisfied with a BA in Geography.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

meathawk wrote: »
    Can someone tell me about Architecture and how many points they think it'll be this year? I want to know what qualities a person should have to do well in the course. I am currently a first year in Arts but I only choose it to do geography with computer science. At the moment computer science isn't working out and I don't think I'd be satisfied with a BA in Geography.

Are you sure you want to consider Architecture? I mean in the current economic environment it might not be the best course to take. However, who knows what the construction sector will be like in 5 years time.

You might have good employment prospects with a BA in Computer Science, try to put more work into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

I really only care about being satisfied in a course, Computer Science is awful in UCD and is so messy aswell. It needs to be dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭parko202

I dont really think the current climate should be a deciding factor. You are going to be doing this for the rest of your life so that is really only (hopefully) a short term thing. Bear in mind that it will be 6 years before you graduate providing you take the recommended year out.

I know a load of people doing the course and it seems to be well set up etc. There are a lot of hours to be put in for studio but I guess that is evened out by not having to do a huge amount of rote learning.

I think that as long as you're willing to put the time in that you will be reasonably successful in the course however, there is quite a clear difference between those who are able to draw and design well and those who can do it to a passable standard.

Why are you considering architecture?

I was always interested in it growing up, and physics was my best and favorite subject. I was too cowardly to put it on my cao just because I thought being an amazing artist was necessary to get on well in the course.

well if physics was your favourite subject, I would suggest Structural Engineering w/ Architecture. There isnt very much architecture in it, but it is getting better as the years progress.

There isn't a huge amount of physics in the study of architecture, obviously you need to have an understanding of it when you are actually working and collaborating with engineers on projects but not really while in college.

I dont think you need to be a great artist however, as I said, there is a very clear difference between those who are creative and those who arent. It is really difficult to get an A in crits etc. but if you put the work in you can get through it.

• Advertisement

I just want a course with content that I'll enjoy going through...and I think Architecture will deliver that. Structural Engineering with Architecture is gone I thought? I think they got rid of all the denominated engineering degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

meathawk wrote: »

Well if you want to do architecture, then fair play apply away, regardless of "economic climate", do a course you want to do. However, if you're interested in the built environment etc... perhaps you might consider doing an MSc in Urban and Rural Design in Queen's? It's one year, accredited by the RTPI. It's all CAD etc... and you'd be designing stuff. It's something that's in between planning and architecture. Would you consider it? You wouldn't have to start all over and it wouldn't take the seven years that architecture takes.

Cant say this with certainty but I think Struct. Eng is still there as it is a relatively new course anyway but I could be wrong.

Well, and I may not be right here but, your reasoning for wanting to do architecture was that you really like physics however it would make more sense to do a form of engineering in that case, so have you done much research into architecture courses?

Maybe if you explain the content you enjoy going through then it might be a little easier to offer information but regardless of which course you pick it is inevitable that you will dislike some of the content.

and with regards to the MSc. it is probably a requirement that you have a bachelors first!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

parko202 wrote: »
    and with regards to the MSc. it is probably a requirement that you have a bachelors first!

That would be a given!:D
    I did the Geography, Planning and Environmental Policy course in UCD, one the girls from my class is now doing the MSc course in Queen's. You'd have to have a portfolio, which is literally just pictures of buildings you like and then you'd talk about them etc... good course so it is.

• Advertisement

what are the job prospects from that course, negating current economic blah blah.....Is it for town planners or maybe CAD technicians?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭david p

As far as I know, for the course in UCD you get a BSc after 4 years and then a BArch after another two. I think a lot of people usually take a year out to go work on a building site or something, so it'd probably be seven years before you'd be qualified. You could always go down to Richview and ask to sit in on a few lectures to see if you liked it. I'm sure if you talked to one of the lecturers about it beforehand they'd be fine with it.

Yeah I could do that, maybe structural engineering with architecture would be more down my alley...

You get your BSc in arch after third year, then you can either take a year out or go straight into fourth year and then you finish in fifth year so it is either a 5 or six year degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Note that the Structural Engineering w/Architecture programme is primarily Engineering, with only a bit of Architecture. It has all almost the core Civil Engineering subjects, including all the Maths courses, and you get fewer slots for electives (only 4 in three years). It's no shortcut to Chartered status, and a Master's is going to be mandatory for that, but it is designed to produce engineers with some appreciation for architectural forms.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Can someone in Architecture upload a picture of their timetable, I'd like to see how many hours they have. Also, did anyone enter Architecture not knowing if it was exactly what they wanted?

Picking a course based on your weekly hours is ridiculous. You will be spending a lot of hours in richview coming up to crits and exams. There are also a lot of hours in the course in terms of your own reading and study etc so you wont have an idea as to the work load from a timetable.

You will find out very quickly whether it is something that you want to do or not as you really do have to enjoy it to stick at it.

I was just curious because, the sheer amount of work can be so overwhealming sometimes that you feel like just giving up. Sticking at something is essential if you are interested in what you're studying. I've just heard that people say there are a lot of hours involved. I want a rough idea of what I should prepare myself for.

Advertisement