Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JohnCleary cooks for Ireland

Options
  • 24-03-2010 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    As the title says really, need to cook for about 20 people on the weekend so just going to make a pot of curry.

Can anyone recommend the best butcher where I might get them? I'm not really looking for the cheapest but decent sized breasts where I might be able to do a bit of haggling with the butcher when buying 20 breasts

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Devillys in westside do 10 fillets for 10.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Is that the corwd in westside shopping centre? Never liked them, there fillets are quite small too.

Try that butcher at the end of shop street (near euro2 and bank of Ireland),

I always found them fairly reasonable and had good sized portions. Get them to dice it for you too, save yourself the hassle. It seemed like the place you might be able to haggle the price

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Devillys in westside do 10 fillets for 10.99.

Those chicken fillets are tiny - I find Divilley's in Westside too expensive but thanks for the suggestion.

Is that the corwd in westside shopping centre? Never liked them, there fillets are quite small too.

I always found them fairly reasonable and had good sized portions. Get them to dice it for you too, save yourself the hassle. It seemed like the place you might be able to haggle the price

Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Not wanting to butt in on your recipe selection but I find beef curry far superior to chicken curry. Especially if it's cooked nice and slow, makes the beef very tender. The beef adds to the flavour of the curry.

Pick up a jar of chutney (a sweet variation like pineapple) and dollop it all in whatever meat you choose.

I love a mild curry me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

+1 Collerans Butchers

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Not wanting to butt in on your recipe selection but I find beef curry far superior to chicken curry. Especially if it's cooked nice and slow, makes the beef very tender. The beef adds to the flavour of the curry.

Pick up a jar of chutney (a sweet variation like pineapple) and dollop it all in whatever meat you choose.

I love a mild curry me.

I agree. I don't eat lamb normally but you can't beat a properly cooked lamb curry. But chicken was agreed on so it's what i'm cooking!

I'm going to keep it simple and use McDonnells Curry Powder, with a bit of milk to make it a little more creamy.

Yes, it's cheating and not a 'proper' curry at all but it's for a group of scuba divers after a long day diving - They won't be too bothered about fine food, once it's nice and filling.

Just going to go with some brown rice and spuds diced into the Curry - nice and carby! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They're probably not mutated battery hens then.

They're no different from any other ones I've bought before but whatever...

I live near a battery chicken farm, those poor animals disgust me I'd kill them on site just to put them out of they're misery. I avoid chicken at every opportunity because of it and like any normal person I love chicken. My father kept normal chickens for a while and when you see the size of them and relate that to the size of cheap chicken there's just no way a cheap chicken breast could come from anything other than an abused animal.

The thought of eating one of those mangy beasts just turns my stomach at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

mediteranian store across the road from dunnes westside, in the business park place, we buy all our meats in there the past year, so fresh, so cheap. never ever buy in dunnes or tesco anymore, enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭LavaLamp

Again, not trying to rain on your recipe, but I find that chicken thighs make a much nicer cut for curry. I guess it's from the slightly higher fat content than breast, but they make for a totally melt in your mouth curry :D If you're going to the butcher they will be able to bone them for you, and they will work out a lot cheaper than breasts too.

damn, I want curry now!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

ScumLord wrote: »
    there's just no way a cheap chicken breast could come from anything other than an abused animal.

Is a chicken not a kind of bird :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I live near a battery chicken farm, those poor animals disgust me I'd kill them on site just to put them out of they're misery. I avoid chicken at every opportunity because of it and like any normal person I love chicken. My father kept normal chickens for a while and when you see the size of them and relate that to the size of cheap chicken there's just no way a cheap chicken breast could come from anything other than an abused animal.

The thought of eating one of those mangy beasts just turns my stomach at this stage.
    sp_0203_01_v6.jpg
    Chicken Lover?

I'm quite concerned about the direction this Doomsday Machine is taking...

forumfiend wrote: »
    Is a chicken not a kind of bird :)
    Indeed it is and a bird is a type of animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

They're probably not mutated battery hens then.

Or they are baby mutated battery hens

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭JJRocket

Hi John,
    Not the right side of town, but the butchers near tesco express on Headford Rd always seem to be doing specials on bulk buys. Iv never bought chicken in there so wouldnt know the quality. Good luck with the curry!

Was referring to the size of the fillets in devillys rather than your post, just in case there was any confusion (I myself am somewhat confused at this stage, mainly through lack of caffeine).

Was referring to the size of the fillets in devillys rather than your post, just in case there was any confusion (I myself am somewhat confused at this stage, mainly through lack of caffeine).
    I was drinking JD last night I just wanted a rant. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

LavaLamp wrote: »
    Again, not trying to rain on your recipe, but I find that chicken thighs make a much nicer cut for curry. I guess it's from the slightly higher fat content than breast, but they make for a totally melt in your mouth curry :D If you're going to the butcher they will be able to bone them for you, and they will work out a lot cheaper than breasts too.

damn, I want curry now!

Yeah, if I was making a large quantity of chicken curry like that I'd probably just buy 3-4 whole chickens and skin & 9 piece them: 2 legs, 2 thighs, 2 wings, 2 breasts and 1 crown.

Don't know if it would work out much cheaper but that's how I'd do it.

• Advertisement

Ended up going to Divilly's in Westside. It was 10.99 for between 1.2/1.5kg of chicken (each breast between 120g - 150g) which was the same price as anywhere else so for convenience I just picked them up there.

Cheers folks, they're in the pot now and we'll be eatin curry tomorrow :D

Hi folks,
    I need to get about 40 disposable plates/forks/knives and cups (or bigger glasses)

I know the likes of Dunnes/Tesco sell them but they're quite expensive and normally come in small packs of 10 (I need about 40 of each)

Any ideas where I would get around 40 for a reasonable price? I'm thinking the 2euro shops? Can anyone let me know if they spotted any anywhere for reasonable money? And if ye spotted them in the likes of 2euro shops, which ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Got 50 paper plates in Dunnes, Briarhill for about 2 or 3 euros, also got a few packs of 10 plastic pint glasses at about 3 quid each.

Kitting yourself out with 40 shouldn't break the bank.

Got 50 paper plates in Dunnes, Briarhill for about 2 or 3 euros, also got a few packs of 10 plastic pint glasses at about 3 quid each.

Kitting yourself out with 40 shouldn't break the bank.

Cheers, thought they were more expensive than that. Will take a look later

Once again I call on the Galway City forum for help.

I need to get myself a big pot for cooking, around 15 litres.

I reckon i'll get one in Options (was closed by the time I thought of it earlier) but checked Tesco/Dunnes with no success.

Don't suppose any of the cooking members of the Galway forum know where i'd get one for certain? Not looking to spend big money if possible, doesn't need to be pretty just practical!

Got sorted in Tesco, the 'value' range was cheap as chips

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

that's one heck of a big pot... about 3 times bigger than my largest.

I reckon you're as best to check out the commercial catering shop out in Oranmore (across from the business park) as anything. I didn't see anything like that in Options last time I was there.

Thanks Xiney. I have a 9 litre here but it won't be big enough. Need to cook curry for at least 20 people so need aroud 15 litres (I'd like to have seconds later too ya see :D)

Will try Tommy Varden and the place you suggested. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

Try Ryans in town. They sometimes have large pots in stock. I have a huge pot but no idea of capacity .....must measure tomorrow. The asian supermarkets may have large pots, but not sure about this(Dublin Asian stores do!!) But they do large everything else.

• Advertisement

Cook it in your bathtub and use very hot rocks to heat it.

I'm not drunk.....ish

Advertisement