Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a good Monopod & Head

• 24-03-2010 10:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭

Hi all
    I'm looking for a good Manfrotto Monopod and head, I have an event (Marathon) coming up in two weeks time which I am hoping to have it for. I have been on the net for the past few days and I am more confused now than before, could someone recommend a GOOD one for about €100/€150. I will be using a 7D and 70/200 IS-USM in a vertical position and will also use it at indoor events with low light where a Monopod is not practical

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

^^^ that is the head you want.

I have this monopod could not be happier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Fireman

You have just put a thought into my head, Would I be right in saying that the collar on my 70/220 Lens is where it will be secured to the monopod and then you can rotate the lens/camera for a vertical shot while keeping the center of gravity as in my Tripod

Just one last question, Will it defiantly be able to hold (head and Monopod) the 7d & 70/200

Thanks for all the info, I will check out the weight of my gear compare to the weight of the manfrotto head and Monopod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have the Manfrotto 680 which works well with my D300 + 70-200mm f2.8 + TC17.

I picked mine up in London last year for 40 quid. The 680B was quite a bit more and the only difference was it was Black. Using a long lens you are better off screwing into the lens mount & then you can rotate between Landscape & Portrait without head. It is also a better balance then mounting the body.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I use a manfrotto tripod on just 1 leg ( ie in 'monopod mode') for shooting soccer. It's a 055x Pro B with a 322Rc2 head. The head is brilliant for sports - just pull the trigger & flip from portrait to landscape - and the whole setup is rock solid.

I have a decent monopod as well but I never use it anymore. If I was flying somewhere I'd bring it b/c it is a lot lighter - but a tripod is way more versatile. If you have a few quid I'd recommend going for a decent tripod. If you buy a monopod now, the chances are you'll end up buying a tripod later - and few people need both!

- FoxT

bedlam wrote: »
    234RC + a monopod with in your budget.

It's worth taking into account that unless you are want to fork out for an L plate, shooting vertical with a monopod will put the setup off balance as you will have to tilt the head to one side of the monopod moving the centre of gravity. To that end ReallyRightStuff sell L plates for the 7d for ~$140 +shipping and then you'd need to look into getting an arca swiss compatible head. Unfortunately the plate alone is outside your budget.

Hi Bedlam, I was buying the 234RC head from e-bay, The seller said the head wouldn't do as it only holds 2.5kg (max) but the tripod was perfect. could you recommend me a good head. Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i have a manfrotto 488 ball head on my monopod, and love it

mind i have a gitzo 6X carbon monopod which cost a bloody fortune and was bought on one of those impulsive trips to a big camera shop

but it actually is worth it, its rock solid

stcstc wrote: »

mind i have a gitzo 6X carbon monopod which cost a bloody fortune and was bought on one of those impulsive trips to a big camera shop

Will it hold the 7D and 70/200 is-usm I will have a look in the meantime, Thanks steve

i have used it with 40d and 300 2.8is and it was fine

• Advertisement

thanks for that Steve, I am on the lookout for that head as we speak

Thanks

stcstc wrote: »

Steve, When I go the web to look for the head you recommended it is coming up as a 488 midi ball head is this the same one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Why do you need a ball head when using a monopod? I don't see the point of it.

i use it for 3 reasons

1, gives me a slightly taller monopod
    2. i sometimes use the monopod like a gimble to couterbalance when hand holding
    3. means i can use a quick release

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I have the 679B monopod, same as the 680, but 3 sections instead of 4.
    Use it regularly with a D300 & 70-200 2.8, and it's rock solid. I mount the lense to the monopod via the collar.

I had to make an extension for the monopod though. Added an extra 12" onto the bottom section, using hard nylon plastic. I find it brilliant if trying to get slightly above the head height of a crowd, especially at sports events.

Hi All
    Just to update ye, I purchase last night from Cameraworld (UK) this Monopod & Head

Manfrotto 496RC2 Ball Head
    Manfrotto 680B black monopod

Bedlam I went for this head as you're recommendation was borderline but I have no doubt that it would have been fine, but if I ever go for a bigger lens it may not do
    Thanks for all you're recommendation it was greatly appreciated

Advertisement