Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange lights over the City

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Beefsteak knows his stuff alright :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Reckon the lantern theory is about right. Saw one approx 1910 last night looking towards Inverin direction. Initially speculated that it was the european space station as it was so bright relative to the stars and it appeared to move quite quickly across the sky but then realised it was far to big to be a satellite etc. One we saw held its position for quite a while before fading out.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭tribesman44

i saw something at about 1230am but it did not move. it looked to me like a very bright planet or star. it was twinkling in all different colors. white, red, green, etc... it almost looked like a diamond shining in the sun. i stood looking at it for about 10 minutes and it stayed stationary. i took some pics of it and a short video with my camera. it was nothing like you guys are explaining. i am out near glennamaddy in galway. bright sky and no noise. def. wasnt a plane because i can hear them. it was in the southeast sky at the time i saw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭skullzxr

any one see a big flare or even a meteorite on the east side of the city out loughrea road direction last night about 8.30pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Didn't this happen 2 weeks ago too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Did anyone see the 4 large orange lights flying over the city about half 8 this evening?

Anyone know what they were?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

They were chinese lanterns being let off from niug college. not sure the reason why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭MaighEoAbu

Yes, I did see those lights, and no they were not coming from the NUIG, as I was actually there at the time. They seemed to becoming from way far out, maybe Galway Bay and were really scary!

Everybody was stopped on the road and people got out of their cars. I looked up and they were way up in the sky. I could see that they were flames of some sort. There were a good lot of them. I say about fifteen, all spread out in the sky, coming from the same direction. I think we'll be hearing more about this on the news.

brembo26 wrote: »
    They were chinese lanterns being let off from niug college. not sure the reason why?

gur mhaith agat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

MaighEoAbu wrote: »
    Yes, I did see those lights, and no they were not coming from the NUIG, as I was actually there at the time. They seemed to becoming from way far out, maybe Galway Bay and were really scary!

Everybody was stopped on the road and people got out of their cars. I looked up and they were way up in the sky. I could see that they were flames of some sort. There were a good lot of them. I say about fifteen, all spread out in the sky, coming from the same direction. I think we'll be hearing more about this on the news.

but sure i seen them being let off...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭MaighEoAbu

brembo26 wrote: »
    but sure i seen them being let off...:D

I was on-campus at the time, and they definitely were coming from Salthill direction, so they're probably unrelated. They were way too high up to be lanterns and they did look like flames and were going very fast. I'm positive they weren't coming from the college though. Which makes it really freaky :eek: .

Sounds like chinese lanterns. I feel a bit dipsy now that i didn't cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭iii Stevo iii

I seen these at 9. About 10 of them,all coming from the same direction. Assumed they were Chinese lanterns but then my brother just rang me saying he seen the craziest thing ever: "A big orange ball" flying behind his house in ..... MULLINGAR !!!

Maybe its a mass letting off of these lanterns at different points in the country. A bit to coincidental for him to ring me saying that.

I seen these at 9. About 10 of them,all coming from the same direction. Assumed they were Chinese lanterns but then my brother just rang me saying he seen the craziest thing ever: "A big orange ball" flying behind his house in ..... MULLINGAR !!!

Maybe its a mass letting off of these lanterns at different points in the country. A bit to coincidental for him to ring me saying that.

The Big Orange balls are MET Eireann yokes afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭Dull and Boring

Oh no!! :eek: Is it time to get the tinfoil hats out?!!!! :eek: :P

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭iii Stevo iii

The Big Orange balls are MET Eireann yokes afaik.

Really? What are they for? He said it scared the sh1te out of him

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Maybe it was a 'FLASH' mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They were way too high up to be lanterns and they did look like flames and were going very fast.
    Are you sure now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Search boards for chinese lanterns.

I'm sick of them; people don't seem to think that;
    a.) they're on fire
    b.) They land on things, like houses and hedges etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Search boards for chinese lanterns.

I'm sick of them; people don't seem to think that;
    a.) they're on fire
    b.) They land on things, like houses and hedges etc.

Also a hazard to Aircraft as they are released without warning and some do and have as is well documented in the UK flown or landed at or around the proximity of Airports and in some cases flying into the flight path of a landing/departing aircraft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/sussex/8135006.stm

Coastguards have asked for advance warnings from people setting off Chinese lanterns following a spate of false alarms along the UK coastline.

The latest incident took place on Saturday night between Bexhill and Pevensey in East Sussex.

Dover Coastguard was called to a sighting reported as a "red flare", which is sent up by a boat in distress.

"It turned out that countless numbers of these lanterns had been released," said watch officer Phil Binks.

"They are being used more and more as part of beach barbecues."

A volunteer team was sent to investigate the incident.

"Volunteers have to drop everything and go to pick up a coastguard vehicle. These incidents are taking up valuable resources."

Another incident was also reported on Saturday in Tankerton, Kent.

The use of Chinese lanterns, which float off into the air until they disintegrate, is growing in popularity and they have been mistaken for UFOs.

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency said people should contact them first if they are taking Chinese lanterns to the beach at dusk.

"We do experience this problem with firework displays too and encourage organisers to inform us of their intentions so that we know the likely source of red flare sightings," said a spokesman.

Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Supposedly let off by the Chinese Society in NUIG. I was in the college at the time and saw them all flying overhead, coming from the direction of the river. This leads me to believe they were let off from beside the IT/Orbsen Buildings.

They were definitely reaching about 3000ft and still burning strongly which was impressive. I admit that a group of us just stopped and stared for ages until one of the guys copped on to hearing about the Chinese Soc's involvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Damn aliens using the ol' chinese lanterns decoy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I was taking my doomsday device for a test drive.

Nearly ready now :pac:

Saw a section on country file on BBC 1 about these.

Many use a metal ring in the frame - these can land anywhere and animals can eat them, get cut by them.

They interviewed a vet who described a cow dying a painful death because of one - pure loss to the farmer as you can't prove where they came from.

I think they should be banned before they become more popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Definately sounds like Chineese lanterns, I've seen them a couple of times. Someone said they were too high to be Chineese lanterns... they do go very high, anyway how would you know how high they were if you don't know how big it was at ground level!!

I was all up for getting a group of maybe 20 people... going to a large area (maybe South Park) and releasing them in formation (big ring or arrow) when the breeze is going over the city.... then sit back and wait to hear the UFO claims! The aircraft/coastguard/animal issues are putting a bit of a downer on that though! Wouldn't worry about them landing on stuff as they'll only come down when they're burnt out and cool down.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Saw a section on country file on BBC 1 about these.

Many use a metal ring in the frame - these can land anywhere and animals can eat them, get cut by them.

They interviewed a vet who described a cow dying a painful death because of one - pure loss to the farmer as you can't prove where they came from.

I think they should be banned before they become more popular.
    I was watching that "wonders of the solar system" doco the other night and the presenter was using Chinese lanterns to prove a point. He was standing on the top of a mountain with an amazing vista behind him launching big dirty plastic bag type lanterns into this untouched landscape.

Still though Darwin at work those animals are stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ritabixndmilk

I was walking over the bridge at Millstreet in Galway and saw several slow moving red lights in a line in the sky. They looked like they were burning. Loads of people stopped and looked at them. They were too slow and too close together and too numerous be an aeroplane. Does anybody know what was going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

ill take a line from drake and "pics or GTFO"

Advertisement