Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What recipes work well left for 24 hrs

Options
  • 24-03-2010 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Will be baking a good bit over the next while and some things I need to do in advance for things like charity cake sales.

A lot of baking stuff tends to taste best on the same day so any suggestions for recipes that will keep overnight.

I could make cookie dough and bake it that morning, but what about cake. Could I make up cake batter would it keep in the fridge to be baked the next morning?

Any other biscuity or fudgey type recipes?

Easy tried and tested ones would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I have a chocolate cake recipe that gets better after a day or two, I use it for birthday cakes I know won't be entirely eaten for days, a week if stored properly. I also have a madeira recipe that I have eaten 5 days later, if either interests you let me know.

Chocolate biscuit cake would keep for a few days too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Thanks, very interested:)

Ok, I'll have a look for them and PM you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

I use a cup cake recipe and it uses stork margarine rather than butter. Makes the cakes very moist and they keep extremely well over night.

From this book 51eK1oFDTuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg which I love.

110g self-raising flour
    110g caster sugar
    110 margarine
    1 tsp baking powder
    2 large eggs
    grated zest of 2 large lemons
    1 tbsp freshly seqeezed lemon juice

170 for 20 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

The sponge cakes that have butter or margarine as one of the ingredients have a longer shelf life than "classical" sponge without it.

You can bake a cake today, cool it, wrap well in the baking paper and keep it in the fridge for a couple of days. Then torte and decorate it just on the eve of the event.

• Advertisement

I can't find the chocolate cake recipe at the moment so need for a PM, this won't be too long.

Madeira Cake
    6oz Butter
    6oz Sugar
    3 eggs
    8.5oz Self Raising Flour
    Drop of Milk
    1 tsp of Vanilla Essence

Oven for approx 30 mins at 155C.

As DreamC said cakes with butter or margarine stay moist very well. Alternatively you could make it in advance, freeze it fresh and thaw it out when you need it, this cake tastes perfect when thawed.

Also you were saying if you could make the batter the night before and use it next morning, the majority of cake recipes have self raising flour or baking powder etc, these begin to work instantly when mixed with liquid so wouldn't last the night in the fridge before baking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

I would add 20g glycerine to that Madeira recipe, to help keep it moist. It's readily available in Tesco.

Cookie dough will keep 3 days in the fridge. You can also shape it into logs, freeze it, then slice before baking. The 3 advantages of that are it keeps longer, is easier to slice from frozen, and doesn't spread so much while baking, assuming you're going straight from slicing to baking in a pre-heated oven.

Fat-enriched sponge cakes will keep better, plus can be frozen well too. The real problem is keeping cakes moist. Aside from adding fat, you can also use cake or soaking syrups, a simple sugar-water-aromatic (e.g. fruits, spices, etc) solution, with some liqueur if you like.

The opposite problem exists for fudges, toffees and caramels. You have to keep them well-wrapped and air-tight. If you just want recipes for a selection of typical bake-sale stuff that keeps well, I'll post or PM some recipes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Last week I made some indulgent Millionare's Shortbread, the recipe on the side of the carnation condensed milk tin, and it lasted really well, five days later and it was perfect!

Just keep it in an airtight container. And slice small cos boy is it heavy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Oh and I also recommend this microwave chocolate cake...make it in 9 mins and it lasts days! Cover it in a chocolate fudge icing or just melted chocolate!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Thanks folks, lots of stuff to try out.

• Advertisement

Chocolate Chip Cookies
    Makes 40 x 3 ½” cookies

· 240g strong flour
    · 240g plain flour
    · 1 ¼ tsp baking soda
    · 1 ½ tsp baking powder

· 285g butter, softened
    · 285g light brown sugar
    · 230g sugar
    · 2 eggs
    · 2 tsp vanilla extract
    · 570g 70% dark chocolate chips

1. Sift flours, baking soda and baking powder together.
    2. Cream butter and sugars until light. Add eggs, one at a time, until mixed. Add vanilla.
    3. Add dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Refrigerate up to 72 hours.

Thick & Soft: Proceed as normal, chill dough for 30 minutes. Shape, chill for 45 minutes. Bake @ 190c for 9-11 minutes
    Chewy: Beat after adding dry ingredients for 1 minute at medium-high speed. Bake @ 190c for 9-11 minutes
    Thin & Crispy: Use very soft butter, and mix with sugars until just combined, no need to beat. Bake at 175c for 12-16 minutes

Sugar Cookies
    Makes 36 x 3” cookies

· 170g butter, cubed
    · 115g sugar
    · 1 tsp vanilla extract
    · 1 egg
    · 220g flour

1. Cream butter until pale. Scrape down sides of bowl, add sugar and vanilla extract.
    2. Cream until smooth, about 1 minute. Scrape down sides of bowl.
    3. Add egg, beat until combined. Scrape down sides of bowl.
    4. Add flour, beat until combined. Scrape down sides and beat until dough is well-mixed.
    5. Roll into a 1 ½” x 12” log using baking paper. Chill for 1 hour.
    6. Cut into slices. Arrange on baking tray.

Crisp: Bake @ 160c for 18-20 minutes
    Chewy: Bake @ 180c for 12-15 minutes

Lemon Bars
    Makes 25 x 2” bars

Sweet Pastry
    · 250g flour
    · 125g butter
    · 50g sugar
    · 1 egg

1. Beat everything together in mixer until combined. Chill 30 mins.

Lemon Filling
    · 150g sugar
    · 1 Tbsp lemon zest
    · 4 eggs
    · 180ml lemon juice
    · 60ml lime juice
    · 60ml milk
    · 2 Tbsp plain flour
    · 1/8 tsp salt

1. Grease a 9x13” tin. Line with baking paper.
    2. Press sweet pastry into a ¼” thick layer. Chill 30 mins, prick all over with a fork.
    3. Cover with another sheet of baking paper and pie weights. Bake blind @ 180c for 20 mins covered, 10 mins uncovered. Leave to cool.
    4. Blitz sugar and lemon zest in food processor for 1 minute.
    5. Whisk eggs and lemon sugar in heat-proof bowl over double-boiler for 1 minute, or until sugar is dissolved. Whisk in citrus juices and milk.
    6. Cook over double-boiler, whisking all the time, for 7 minutes. When the curd is the consistency of sour cream, remove from the heat.
    7. Whisk in the flour and salt. Pour over baked sweet paste layer, bake @ 160c for 15-20 minutes or until just firm to the touch.
    8. Cool at room temperature, then chill for 1 hour. Slice. Keeps frozen for 1 week.

Also, Rachel Allen has a Muffin Recipe that keeps for a few weeks, refrigerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

Heres a recipe for cookie dough that has to be refrigerated overnight, Oh and they are hands down the chunkiest, most delicious cookies i have ever eaten...
    Chocolate chip perfection:

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2CqIrF/www.shelterrific.com/2007/09/03/real-life-test-kitchen-chocolate-chip-perfection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

i made Nigella Lawson Roacky Roads Barsfor a party was having in house last night. when they were made i just left them in fridge to set and cut them up!
    went down a treat with everyone! they will last a good few days Id say in the fridge
    used tescos 74% dark chocolate...yumm!!

Advertisement