Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chord Theory (Guitar)

Options
  • 24-03-2010 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭

Hey, so I've decided to learn some chord theory. So far what I've done is just waited until I came across a chord I didn't know and then learned how to play it and commited it to memory.

So anyway I'm stumped already. Here's the deal, basic stuff.
    If you want to play an Amaj triad, you play an A,C#,E following the 1,3,5 formula. A way of playing it is like this:

e:0
    B:2
    G:2
    D:
    A:
    E:

Ok I'm fine with that so far. Here's the problem. If you are playing your standard A chord, this fella:

D:2
    A:0
    E:

What you have is A,E,A,C#,E. Like I say I'm grand with the A,C#,E part at the end, but where is the bass A and E at the start coming from. What's the formula that figures that out? It reads like 1,5,1,3,5, but I know that's not right because that formula couldn't be applied to a G for example. So what's going on there? I'll probably have a few more questions but no point going any further till I get my head around this bit. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

As long as it has those three notes, and no others in it, it's an A major triad. It doesn't matter what order the notes are played in, as long as it's just those 3.
    That's why barre chords work, there are a bunch of different positions along the neck you could play an A major chord on, and they'd all sound different, yet the same in that they're all A, because they only use the 3 notes of an A chord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Ahh makes sense I guess, maybe I was just overcomplicating things. So just to make sure I understand you, would a standard A chord played with the open low E added still just be an Amajor?

E:0

Or would the following still be an A?

e:12
    B:14
    G:14
    D:11

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

They're both still A chords but usually the root note is the lowest note in a chord. If you have another note as the lowest like the E in your example
    then it's called an inversion. It would be written as A/E.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

strobe wrote: »
    E:

What you have is A,E,A,C#,E. Like I say I'm grand with the A,C#,E part at the end, but where is the bass A and E at the start coming from. What's the formula that figures that out? It reads like 1,5,1,3,5, but I know that's not right because that formula couldn't be applied to a G for example. So what's going on there? I'll probably have a few more questions but no point going any further till I get my head around this bit. Thanks.

e:0 (12)
    B:2 (10)
    G:2 (8)
    D:2 (5)
    A:0 (1) as it's the lowest a we can do on the guitar. (wihtout detuning!:))
    E:

Just a little revision, perhaps think of it like this and the chords make more sense. The higher refer to higher notes.

So an Amaj11 (4th) would be the addittion of a a d, maj 13 (6th) an addition of d and an f#

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Yup chord inversions come into play 'ere

here's a simple line from wiki explaining it much less lazier than me

"A chord's inversion describes the relationship of its bass to the other tones in the chord. For instance, a C major triad contains the tones C, E and G; its inversion is determined by which of these tones is used as the bottom note in the chord."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inversion_(music)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 franamico

strobe wrote: »
    Hey, so I've decided to learn some chord theory. So far what I've done is just waited until I came across a chord I didn't know and then learned how to play it and commited it to memory.

So anyway I'm stumped already. Here's the deal, basic stuff.
    If you want to play an Amaj triad, you play an A,C#,E following the 1,3,5 formula. A way of playing it is like this:

D:
    A:
    E:

Ok I'm fine with that so far. Here's the problem. If you are playing your standard A chord, this fella:

E:

Hey,
    The A maj triad is still in there. It's a 2nd inversion though, starting from E.
    The E on six string strengthens the root and the top E doubles the 5th.

If you'd like t learn more about voicings and arranging get Walter Piston's "Harmony". That will answer all your questions.

Good luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 franamico

You're welcome...
    What kind of stuff are you into?

Advertisement