Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nursing home recommendations

Options
  • 24-03-2010 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

just wondering does anyone have any recommendations for a good nursing home in the Galway area, my family and I are facing the difficulty decision of having to arrange a place for my mother in law. We are going around visiting some of them, but sometimes personal recommendations are valuable, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 shazfla

This is just 3rd hand information but i have heard of three good nursing homes in galway,
    Mystical Rose near Claregalway,
    Cummer Nursing Home Corofin (think the actual name is stella maris nursing home)
    Pointe Boise in Salthill near mortons.
    Best of luck in your search its difficult. Make sure to view plenty and ask regarding staffing levels some nursing homes are notorious for having very little staff and loads of patients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭legatti

Mystical Rose is Very good, I have been told they are the best in Galway.
    I have a realtion who is a health care professional and has to visit all the
    nursing homes within the whole county and across through mayo, and he has said that Mystical rose is the best he has ever been too.

Good luck with it , it must be awful hard for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 depot

Thanks for replies, this is a very difficult time and its such a eye opener going around to different places.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MaireadM

Hi,

I have a mum in Mystical Rose and an aunt in Coral Haven and both are fab. REally happy with them. It depends on your needs. Mairead:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Coral Haven was very good (mother in law was there for a few months before she passed away), staff very friendly and it was very clean. But I have nothing to compare it to...

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

depot wrote: »
    ts such a eye opener going around to different places.

Sure is ... been there, not in this country though so I've no advice for you.

Except the general thought of visiting at mealtime and in the evening if you want to see what really goes on.

And focus on what facilities you need - eg if someone has dementia and wanders then security is more important, if their mind is still active then an activities programme is more important, etc.

My sympathies, and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

depot wrote: »
    just wondering does anyone have any recommendations for a good nursing home in the Galway area, my family and I are facing the difficulty decision of having to arrange a place for my mother in law. We are going around visiting some of them, but sometimes personal recommendations are valuable, thanks

why are you putting her in a nursing home?? Sorry just wondering...

My mother in law lived with us for years and she is a brilliant lady, she recently suffered a massive stroke which has left her unable to swallow so is being fed through a tube in her tummy. I have tried with her at home with some home help but its not fair on her, I am unable to give her the nursing care she needs. She needs 24 hour care and with small kids and work I feel that she deserves more than we can give her. This is a very difficult decision and have still not decided for sure which is the best route to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

IMHO Dr Greenthumb is wayyy out of line even asking.

No one else knows what anyone's family circumstances are, and whether or not they can adequately care for a dependent relative at home. When a person is particularly disabled (eg has had a stroke and needs two-person turns every 3 hours), in-home care can be significantly worse for their quality of life than residential care.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

sorry to hear that O.P. +1 for mystical rose. Also heard good things about the place in castlegar (headford road) and i know theyre planning an overhaul. Google galway nursing homes on galwaynews.ie, i vaguely remember one place in the news for the wrong reasons in the last few months, but cant remember what.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭legatti

why are you putting her in a nursing home?? Sorry just wondering...

Ermm... the boards maybe for advice or opinions, but this is out of order,
    way overstepped the line of someones privacy! I wouldnt ask that face to face to a friend!!
    DR. Greenthumb needs to seriously check out his bedside manner, or more over his manners overall!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

In fairness, i was wonderin the same as Dr Greenthumb. Big difference between old age and Alzheimers. I think he just wanted more details, in which case, it is relevant. I would have asked the same question myself. Don't judge people by what you perceive as 'bluntness'. Dr Greenthumb may just be at the point where being forward is the best way. In which case, fair play to him, no point hiding behind shadows when it comes to a loved one. Been there. I know. As i said, benefit of the doubt.

JustMary wrote: »
    IMHO Dr Greenthumb is wayyy out of line even asking.

No one else knows what anyone's family circumstances are, and whether or not they can adequately care for a dependent relative at home. When a person is particularly disabled (eg has had a stroke and needs two-person turns every 3 hours), in-home care can be significantly worse for their quality of life than residential care.

Lol, have to laugh at this!! why is it out of line? i was just asking, it is a forum after all... the OP didn't seem to mind answering the question so why are you being so sensitive about it... some people ey :rolleyes:

Sorry to here about your mother in law OP its a tough situation and have seen the effects a stroke can have on people and a family first hand. Best of luck with the search.

legatti wrote: »
    Ermm... the boards maybe for advice or opinions, but this is out of order,
    way overstepped the line of someones privacy! I wouldnt ask that face to face to a friend!!
    DR. Greenthumb needs to seriously check out his bedside manner, or more over his manners overall!:mad:

Out od order?? I don't think so and if you don't have the balls to talk about the sensitive issues like this that may be affecting your friends then i pity you. Not much of a friend in my opinion if you keep working around the subject.

Ever heard that it's good to talk??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Question was asked and answered.
    Ok everyone, back on topic now please, suggestions for nursing homes.

Oh dear, some of the places I am visiting are to be honest very poor. I will keep looking untill I am happy that the place we pick is the very best there is in galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 perl

<please don't sign up to promote a business, moderator>

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement