Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renew Irish License

Options
  • 24-03-2010 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering how I can renew my Irish license in the quickest time possible. I'm just after realising that I've only 2 wks left on it and I need it for work. Unfortunatly I can't convert it to an OZ license because I haven't been in the conutry for 6 months concurrently.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

coldfeet wrote: »
    Hey,

Just wondering how I can renew my Irish license in the quickest time possible. I'm just after realising that I've only 2 wks left on it and I need it for work. Unfortunatly I can't convert it to an OZ license because I haven't been in the conutry for 6 months concurrently.

Fly home and present yourself in person.

Otherwise you may need to have a look for Options on the dept of transport website.

http://www.dublincity.ie/ROADSANDTRAFFIC/DRIVINGLICENCES/Pages/RenewYourLicence.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Hey,
    Unfortunatly I can't convert it to an OZ license because I haven't been in the conutry for 6 months concurrently.

Is this a restriction? First I heard of it, i know people who changed there's in WA within 3 months of arriving no problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

Its gotta be 6 months in NSW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

aahh..your location confused me - is it an option to get a QLD licence? Not sure about VIC but dont think there is any such restriction on a QLD one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/newtonsw/international_drivers.html

no mention of this rule

• Advertisement

That link is for permament residants, I was on a WHV when I origionaly applied. I'm on sponsorship now so must call in again and see if they'll give me a license.

From the link at the bottom of the page:

'From 18 April 2008, all new NSW licence applicants identified as temporary overseas visitors will be subject to the following licensing rules:
    As a temporary overseas visitor, you will only be eligible to apply for a NSW licence once you have been in Australia for a continuous period of at least six months immediately prior to licence application.'

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    aahh..your location confused me -

Must change that, been a while since I lived in Perth

For anyone interested i just got this back from the Motor Tax office,
    First , pleas note that a D401 form cannot be sent electronically, but can be posted to you.

'To renew your Irish Licence, the Motor Tax Office will require a completed D401 Driving Licence application form, your current, original Driving Licence, two, identical, passport-sized photos, and a fee. The application form must have an Irish address.

Both photos must be signed on the back with your signature. The fee will be 15 euros for a 3 year Licence, or 25 euros for a 10 year Licence.

Payment by Postal Order, cheque, or Money Order must be from a Bank in ireland, but, payment can also be made by credit card details.

If you want the issued Licence sent to you in Australia, then, you would also need to submit a completed QDL2 form.'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

'From 18 April 2008, all new NSW licence applicants identified as temporary overseas visitors will be subject to the following licensing rules:
    As a temporary overseas visitor, you will only be eligible to apply for a NSW licence once you have been in Australia for a continuous period of at least six months immediately prior to licence application.'

I just read the notes and you could still wing with being sponsored as none of the below cover that.

Who is a temporary overseas visitor?

If you are not an Australian citizen and not a permanent resident of Australia, you are regarded as a temporary overseas visitor. Temporary overseas visitors can include:

Tourists
    Business people on limited-duration visits Not the same thing as being sponsored
    People visiting friends or relatives or
    People studying or working temporarily in NSW (eg working visa holders). Doesn't count anymore if your sponsored

You could say your employer required one because you drive a company car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Temporary overseas visitors can include:

People studying or working temporarily in NSW (eg working visa holders). Doesn't count anymore if your sponsored

Yes it dose if you’re sponsored then you get a Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457) Visa. This would make you a person who is working temporarily in NSW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Doc wrote: »
    Yes it dose if you’re sponsored then you get a Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457) Visa. This would make you a person who is working temporarily in NSW.

Yeah I suppose it does... I would still mention licence is required for your job, It all depends on what RTA centre you go to as to how sharp the staff are.

Advertisement