Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tips for Trouble Free Motoring

• 24-03-2010 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Against the advice of my mechanic I recently bought a 03 1.6L golf with 75k on the clock. I was advised to buy japanese if I wanted trouble free motoring but I couldn't get used to the look and interiors of the competition and I've always liked the look of those 3 door mkIV's.

The car has been serviced every 10k miles at main dealers for the last 3 services, bit patchy in the service book before that and the timing belt was recently done.

Aside from servicing every 10k and driving it easy would anyone have any other advice?? Should I change the oil more than annually? Is there anything simple I can do that will contribute towards more trouble free mileage?

I do about 6-8k mileage a year

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I myself change the oil and filter every 6k miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

The spark plugs and air filter every 12 months, and the fuel filter every 1.5 years.

The timing belt should be done every 60k miles or so.

It maybe a bit of overkill, but at least I'm on the safe side. As I do nearly all the servicing myself, cost really isn't an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Are you a decent DIYer?

Preventative maintenance is what yer lookin for, a Haynes Manual would be a great buy if you plan on getting into it.

It gives you a picture and step by step guide on how to do services for your car.

Id say more common oil changes would be the easiest but I dont know how that relates to your mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 fabmorretti

bbk wrote: »
    Are you a decent DIYer?

Preventative maintenance is what yer lookin for, a Haynes Manual would be a great buy if you plan on getting into it.

It gives you a picture and step by step guide on how to do services for your car.

Id say more common oil changes would be the easiest but I dont know how that relates to your mileage.

Cheers for the replies. I'd be the type to start a job and then as soon as I find a tricky bit I lose the plot and give up. I don't trust myself to carry out these jobs to be honest.

Spark plugs and air filter every 12 months? The service manual recommends every two years, but I'd defo be open to annually if it meant a smooth running motor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Heres a simple one. Don't rev the car too vigorously from cold. Let the engine heat up a bit before you put the foot down.
    Seriously the most stressful daily event in a cars day is when its started up in the morning & hopping on the accelerator straight away probably doubles the wear & tear.

Advertisement