Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Straight Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Raoul

MadsL wrote: »

Who says you have to have only one razor? I would recommend at least two anyway, if you are sending your razor off for honing then what do you shave with.
    Safety razor. I know the razor i'm getting is just a stepping stone either back to the safety razor or else onto a better straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Raoul wrote: »
    Safety razor. I know the razor i'm getting is just a stepping stone either back to the safety razor or else onto a better straight.

Give it 100 shaves before you decide - you have to commit :D - there will be times when you overshave with it and burn the face off yourself, or feel that you will never have the manual dexterity. Trust me it will all come together. I used to look at shave vids and go "Holy fuck, how can he shave that fast and not cut himself to shreds!" now it is "Why is he being so careful" :D

Main worry is shaving with my left hand. Sure at first with the safety razor I was so so careful. Now I could do it blindfolded.

I've never been able to shave with my left, I tried again the other day and it wasn't pretty.

I just (Op op op op oppan) kamisori style it on my left cheek. :D

I've never been able to shave with my left, I tried again the other day and it wasn't pretty.

Yeah, I will try a bit with my left if I can't do it then no loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

You should take your own advice....
    Give it 100 shaves before you decide - you have to commit :D

:p

You pretty much have to force yourself to use your weaker hand. It does take time to get it but for me it's much easier to use my left hand than contort my right to do the same job.

I still cant use my left hand with a DE though - I'd do some serious damage to my face if I tried :D

hitemfrank wrote: »
    You should take your own advice....

Lol - busted!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mellow_yellow1

Hi Guys, (I hope a reasonably safe assumption on this thread)

Need help.

Got a christmas present of a timor hamburg ring straight razor from herself. "Shave ready" - Not. Arrived very blunt. I nearly ripped the face off myself trying the first time before testing on hairs on arm.

Ck out shaving .ie if you want to see the razor.

Tried stopping it - having watched many many videos on technique. No dice. At all. If anything slightly blunter.
    Tried spending a lot of time on the canvas side- maybe 50 strokes, then back to 100, then 100 more on the leather side.
    I'm reasonably happy i'm emulating the technique i've seen on youtube.

Help please - Although I feel that i'm emulating the technique i've seen on youtube my technique could be rubbish. Can the blade go beyond a point where stropping will put an edge on it? Do I need to drop more $$$ on a honing stone? OR paste + another strop?

Don't want to drop too much money on this before I decide if I want to commit.

Any assistance or advice welcome!

Cillin

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Using a strop will not sharpen the razor.. strops basically maintain an already sharp edge. Sharpening is done on a honing stone of some type. Initially you are better off getting someone to do it for you so you will have an idea of what a properly honed razor should behave like.

Thanks for your response.

So it's me not the razor :) Fair enough - kind of expected that.

Good idea re getting someone to do it for me - Do you you know anywhere this can be done? - I'm afraid I don't know anyone who shaves with a straight razor.

C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Thanks for your response.

So it's me not the razor :) Fair enough - kind of expected that.

Good idea re getting someone to do it for me - Do you you know anywhere this can be done? - I'm afraid I don't know anyone who shaves with a straight razor.

C

If you are in Dublin, Waldorf barbershop may do it otherwise have a look at the honing services of strop-shop.co.uk ..... or else you have a good offer there in the post below :)

If you want, I'll rehone it for you. PM me for my address if you're interested.

All it'll cost you is the postage of getting it to me. I should be able to get it back to you in a few days.

Or either of Chris' suggestions would do too.

Thanks guys!

Frank, super kind offer. I might just take you up on that.

Will pm you.

Well, when I first got my straight razor off whipped dog I had some updates here and I wasn't too happy with how it was going. Haven't had time to update again and look for more advice until now.

Since I have had the straight razor I have shaved probably 6/7 times. At the first shave I found that it was pulling the hair rather than gliding through it and it was suggested that maybe the hair was too thick and that I should use a safety razor first. This worked perfectly the next few times. Safety razor and then the straight, I was getting a good decent close shave.

However, I still with about 4 days stubble, I tried to use the straight razor again on its own and with the same result, dragging across the hairs.

I feel that my stropping technique has improved and I think originally I was putting way too little pressure on (zero pressure) and the blade was hardly being run over the strop. Now I put the slightest bit of pressure to ensure the blade is going over the strop evenly and it seems pretty good.

I'm still worried that I have to always to a pass with the safety razor first though as ultimately I would like to just use the straight.

Any advice is appreciated and thanks for advice previously given.

The first thing that comes to mind for me is, are you using the right angle of blade to face? Then, are you using lots of short strokes to try remove the stubble or are you going for one long pass?

After that I would probably ask if the razor is sharp enough? It may just be a case of it's not sharp enough to do it comfortably.

The first thing that comes to mind for me is, are you using the right angle of blade to face? Then, are you using lots of short strokes to try remove the stubble or are you going for one long pass?

After that I would probably ask if the razor is sharp enough? It may just be a case of it's not sharp enough to do it comfortably.

Definitely using the right angle for the blade at this stage. After my first pass, shaving with the straight feels good and everything comes off easily. I am able to do a long pass here as the majority of stubble has been removed.

However, if I try with the straight razor, no matter what angle, it just drags as soon as I move the razor down my face. I wouldn't be able to try to do a long pass if I wanted.

Then it may be a sharpness issue or you need more beard prep time for removing that much stubble.

I would guess it's more likely the first one.

Then it may be a sharpness issue or you need more beard prep time for removing that much stubble.

I would guess it's more likely the first one.

Yeah, I am leaning towards sharpness as I love my beard prep and do lots of it :D.

Is it just a case of getting it rehoned or is it just an awful razor.

I highgly doubt it's a bad razor. A rehone and it should be good I would say.

I highgly doubt it's a bad razor. A rehone and it should be good I would say.

Cool, thanks! Will have to have a think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJims

hey lads been watching this thread the last few months, I don't have the euro this time of year to buy a new straight with all the accessories.

Anyone have any old/spare/second hand razors lying around at home they woulds be willing to sell on?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Wiggles88

Fraid I dont have any spare razors myself but a good place to check out is http://www.whippeddog.com it's a good place to get a low cost straight.

TheJims wrote: »
    hey lads been watching this thread the last few months, I don't have the euro this time of year to buy a new straight with all the accessories.

Anyone have any old/spare/second hand razors lying around at home they woulds be willing to sell on?

I might have something Jims, what kind of budget are you thinking?

I might have something Jims, what kind of budget are you thinking?

something fair :P

give me a pm with what you have an an off the top of your head price and ill see what i can scratch together! :pac:

something fair :P

give me a pm with what you have an an off the top of your head price and ill see what i can scratch together! :pac:

OK, I might have something. Gimme a wee while to have a sort out.

Still looking for anything spare lads, just incase MadsL doesnt come across anything :D

Have you thought about whipped dog? It is highly recommended. I got a razor from there (its really cheap) I am not sure how happy I am with it. I don't know if it is my fault shaving or what but I don't find it very sharp. I am sending it off to an expert today so hopefully they will let me know what they think.

Raoul wrote: »
    Have you thought about whipped dog? It is highly recommended. I got a razor from there (its really cheap) I am not sure how happy I am with it. I don't know if it is my fault shaving or what but I don't find it very sharp. I am sending it off to an expert today so hopefully they will let me know what they think.

I wouldn't consider myself an expert but I'll certainly do my best for you.

pressure is on now hitemfrank!

just had a look in whipping dog, looks dodgy lol

If nothing turns up here ill prob get one off him! but id rather buy one up off one of you guys for a start and see how i get on

• Advertisement

Right Jims. Had a sort out today and a look at one corner of the restoration pile that I have been tipping away at.

Here's what I can do. Screw selling you a razor, I'm going to give you one on the condition that you make a donation to the Santa Strike Force. I trust you know that is a boards charity that does cool things for sick and other deserving children. As to how much, I don't care or want to know - just PM a donation confirmation to me.

Next step is to choose your weapon. Here are 5 blades I'm part of the way into restoring - sorry for the image quality but a potato is all that is working; my camera's autofocus is knackered. So pick away at what suits or grabs you.

hRp7XRbl.jpg

x9cmhZyl.jpg

Step three - choose your scales, any of the colours, or I can put black ones on them.

3uCY9SKl.jpg

So if you want to do this - I'll start a new thread and go through the restoration stages with better photos.

I'll cover the postage out to you.

Sound good?

Here's a link to bigger versions of the photos - click on them to make them as big as the original.
    http://imgur.com/a/kv1es

Advertisement