Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

am/fm/vhf antenna splitter

• 24-03-2010 11:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

hi guys just wondering what your opinion on this is i know wimo in germany sell something similar to this for 2m 145mhz but this is alot cheaper would it work with 145mhz considering it is designed for vhf marine band it only specifices vhf band.... would make for very tidy car install and save drilling

http://www.sailelectronics.co.uk/Produc ... p?Pid=9903

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭brownmini

deaglan169 wrote: »
    something similar to this for 2m 145mhz
    work with 145mhz considering it is designed for vhf marine band it only specifices vhf band....

http://www.sailelectronics.co.uk/Produc ... p?Pid=9903

The makers website is at
    http://www.pacificaerials.co.nz/

Catalogue is at
    http://www.pacificaerials.co.nz/site/DefaultSite/filesystem/documents/MarineAMFM07_9-11.pdf

I doubt its performance on 145 will be good.
    It seems to be aimed at users of 156.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

was thinking that alrite ahh well looks like it will be the black and decker after all:rolleyes:

was thinking that alrite ahh well looks like it will be the black and decker after all:rolleyes:

Let's not be too hasty here.
    Besides 145 MHz, is it 88-108 broadcast you want as well or Medium wave ?

If you are handy with a drill then
    how handy with a soldering iron are you ?

see: http://www3.sympatico.ca/richard.blackman/THE_DUPLEXER.html

i was hopping to use my 2m antenna for fm broadcast receive also 88-108 plan was to remove current broadcast antenna and replace with 2m one i have seen a few projects on the net like the one you posted and i have no problem soldering but seems alot of hassle being honest if i could buy one great but im not too bothered so think i will drill it in

• Advertisement

i was hopping to use my 2m antenna for fm broadcast receive also 88-108 plan was to remove current broadcast antenna and replace with 2m one i have seen a few projects on the net like the one you posted and i have no problem soldering but seems alot of hassle being honest if i could buy one great but im not too bothered so think i will drill it in

The other option is...
    Replace the existing aerial with the 2M aerial.

Then using a suitable section of bodywork, make yourself a ''bodywork aerial''.
    Attach the centre of broadcast coax about 16 inches away from the attach point for the coax braid.
    A suitable place would be the front grill area especially the bit where the bonnet latch, attach 8 inches either side of the centreline and use that as your broadcast aerial.
    It might be a DC short circuit but at 100 MHz it isn't.

or

Just make up a dipole for 100MHz and hide it behind the front or back window trim/facia/plastic. each piece of wire, 71 cms each.
    and use that as your broadcast aerial.

ummm not a bad idea:rolleyes: but would the 2m radio then interfer with the broadcast rx i know generally i dont have radio on and chatting on 2m at same time but my broadcast receive is poor at the minute and thats using an amplified broadcast antenna btw car is a seat leon im going to remove roof cloth later today and i will investigate your sugguestion thanks:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

145Mhz is a lot closer to 100MHz than 152 .. 160MHz
    Also 50W.. on 2m maybe,

You need a VERY good duplex filter to avoid frying the FM band-II radio. The Marine one will be no use.

Anything decent would have maybe 6 to 8 coils or more and associated capacitors.

Or simply have a simpler combiner and switch operated from 2m radio ACC socket to disconnect FM radio and short its input when you transmit.

The FM radio will work well enough on a decent 2m aerial as most of the car radio aerials these days are total rubbish. The issue is simply to not dump you 10W to 50W into the radio.

I have older more traditional roof car aerial. MW I can get Radio Devon (in Limerick) and Limerick 95 on Dublin side of Portloise.

In any case if you do any amount of power you want to add a relay to protect the car radio by disconnecting its aerial and shorting its input during transmit.

I put my 2m aerial at back of roof and angle car radio aerial nearly flat to reduce coupling when using 2m/70m/6m/10m (6m/10m aerial on other rear side if also in use)

cheers watty thanks for reply i think the wimo one is prob the best commerical made one i have seen so far im in two minds on what to do but easiest i suppose is just mount the 2m antenna infront of the car radio antenna look the tidest but unfortunately i have no way of changing the angle of my fm antenna to reduce coupling just one of those things ill have to put up with

ummm not a bad idea:rolleyes: but would the 2m radio then interfer with the broadcast rx i know generally i dont have radio on and chatting on 2m at same time but my broadcast receive is poor at the minute and thats using an amplified broadcast antenna btw car is a seat leon im going to remove roof cloth later today and i will investigate your sugguestion thanks:D

I would go that far.
    In my own car the door pillars bits come off easy enough but I'm not
    that dedicated to listening to VHF broadcast radio to want to pull my
    car apart.

Perhaps the changeover relay route is the best.
    If the car radio is still wired the way that I remember, the blue wire
    out the back has 12volts on it when the radio is switched on.
    This 'was' for an electric aerial - things might have changed since.
    When radio is on , relay switches aerial into car radio.
    When radio off, relay relaxes and connects aerial to 2m radio.

At this stage, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    And god help you if you slide across the paintwork when drilling
    that second hole!!!

• Advertisement

oh i hope i dont slide across the paintwork:eek: only disadvantage i can see to the relay and i may be wrong here is that if its connected the car stereo i wont have receive on 2m which is a big problem in my eyes although i may be wrong so i think to avoid headaches drill hole fit antenna and separate cable run to 2m radio

Advertisement