Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you hate about this generation

Options
  • 24-03-2010 11:57pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Micro rapeactions transactions and downloadable games

Now I don't mind downloadable expansions that really give you value for money like the fallout expansions but there are some very bad practices going on. Offer content for download that is already on the disc. Paying for stuff that really should be expected in the game in previous generations. Then we have developers weeping about them not making enough money and have to make it back through DLC. Boo ****ing hoo. These are the same people at the start of the generation that said that games cost much more to develop and we have to charge more so released games at 80 euros even though a PC version shipped for 40. Now games are as cheap as they have ever been. If you are going to do DLC do it the right way and give us something that adds to the experience. Don't cut chunks out of the game like in Assassins Creed 2 and sell it as DLC. Also charge a decent price for them!

As for downloadable games I really don't ever want games to become totally downloadable. Firstly your purchase is never secure. People say the big videogame corporations are safe. Nobody ever hear of Sega and Atari. When they decide that the servers are going down, you'll never be able to play them again. There'll be no back ups. For some one into videogame preservation through emulation it's a disater, these games will be lost forever. The other factor is that if these games are download only the provider has a monopoly and can charge whatever they like. Some of the prices on oldish games on PSN and Xbox live are scandalous compared to the prices of even the new games let alone second hand. The PC downloadable market is at least healthy with competing services.

The shift in focus away from PC games leading to less complex games

Before the misguided and frankly wrong console fanboys jump on to have their word about this the lack of dedicated PC games development has led to a loss of complex games. The PC with it's keyboard and mouse lends itself to very complex videogames that the console just can't hope to achieve. I loved Bioshock but when I played System Shock 2 I realised it was just a pale imitator of the much better and more complex System Shock 2. SS2 could never be pulled off on a console due to the restricted controls. Games like Fallout 1 and 2, Deus Ex (forget the crap console ports), Mechwarrior series, Age of Empires, Stalker, Thief 1 and 2 etc. could never be pulled of on a console. These complex games were 2 a penny back in the nineties but it's telling that since Deus Ex was released there hasn't really been a game to match it since or even play anything like it, the closest being the stalker series. Streamlining isn't a bad thing. However this generation is almost entirely devoid of the complex RPG hybrid games like Vampire: The masquerade - Bloodlines and Deus Ex and they are sorely missed. Even the excellent Fallout 3 doesn't offer the amount of choice of it's predessecors.

Japanese developers not catching up with this generation and moving to handhelds

They used to be the masters of game development on the consoles and unmatched. Now with the exception of Capcom, they just can't seem to grasp how to make games for the new systems and how to deliver the content that gamers want and have been almost totally superceded by western developers. It's left a few japanese only genres and ideals in the dust. Firstly with only a few exceptions, western developers just can't do bosses. Secondly the lack of genres like JRPGs and japanese action games, bayonetta excepting, is a bit of a downer for a fan of the genres such as myself.

2D sucks!

2D is actually making a last grasp effort at the moment and I quite like it. What I don't get is the ignorance of some gamers to 2D art. Basically if you don't think Muramasa: Demon Sword is possibly the best looking game this generation then you are an idiot.

Edit:

Nintendo wasting all it's talent on throw away casual titles.

I had a gamecube and while it didn't have the most games on it you could be guaranteed at least 1 absolutely cracking game from nintendo or a collaboration every 2 or 3 months. It was a fantastic second console to have. Now on the Wii you are lucky to get a good core Nintendo game every 6 months. While the Wii isn't the total good game free zone some people will try to tell you it is, there is quite a large number of exceptional games for it. However feck all of them are actually nintendo games with the vast majority coming from third parties. Nintendo, you said that the wii would change the way we play games but all it has changed is the nintendo games we play on your console and I never thought I'd say this but I don't want to play most of the nintendo game.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Easiness and rewarding failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Too many shooters.

Too many shooters that have the exact same mechanics as Call of Duty (regenerating health etc.)

Graphical improvements that make games harder to see. Eg. Call of Duty/Battlefield etc. having so much dust fly up all the time it blinds you. Health regen systems that leave you unable to see where you're going. Uncharted is the worst offender.

A general absence of innovation.

The death of games like Broken Sword.

The rewarding of mediocrity. Uncharted 2 is not all that great. Assassin's Creed 2 is as boring as the original=. You just hold one button, it plays itself.

Totally agree about Japan.

The focus on mutliplayer over single player.

Games have gotten too easy, but at least there's demon's souls.

Bland realism everywhere. Games should be an escape from reality.

Other than that, everythings great! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Bad Things

Easy games - the hard mode not being well designed.

Infinite health - Just wait 5 seconds

Fads - MW2

Sequels stalling innovation - MW2

Poor value DLC - Stuff already made being withheld

Good things

Eastern Europe and Russia - Stalker, Metro 2033, I hope to see more.

...anyone care to expand the good list?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

The fact that nearly every game has leveling up and RPG elements......what ever happened to games like Crash Bandicoot where all you can rely on is actually your skill?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Too much emphasis on online over single player campaigns
    Lack of platformers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Mandatory me too multiplayer.

The colour brown.

Small text.

The pre-launch over-hype followed by the week 2 death.

Sequelitis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

the compulsion to google a solution is most prevalent today wouldn't you agree ;) and is a trend only set to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

The in-game music. Maybe its just me but I find the music in games these days has become incredibly generic. I miss the older generations where the developers used their incredibly limited tools to create hook laden sonic masterpieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Nintendo in general. Whatever they do, they just annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

It's no longer just a game anymore, now its a franchise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

the realization that most gamers are idiots that shout obscene things through the microphone to insult you or to grow their own ego

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

- The normalization of paying additional fees to access the online multiplayer component of games (i.e. Xbox Live Gold subscriptions).

- Direct-download version of software being priced the same as, or more expensive than, physical copies.

- Waggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

DLC can be fantastic when done right like the above mentioned stuff for Fallout 3 or the two DLC packs for GTA4 but it was obvious to see the majority of software companies where going to cut corners and release content that should of been in the game at launch further down the road as exclusive DLC which Bioware have done with DA:O and ME2.

When the DLC comes on the same disc the game does its just taking the piss :rolleyes:

Micro-transactions in pay to play games is just wrong and is nothing short of ripping the customer off. Now while this model is mainly going to effect MMO's its a dodgy path to see the industry take and offers nothing to the player than a monthly subscription fee shouldn't cover. Not to mention how some forms of MT can cause problems to the game in question such as the amount of extra lag SOE's craptastic card game rubbish caused the servers of EQ2 and SWG.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Emos and Goths

• Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

far too many FPS
    Xbox and ps3 being largely the same, both great but not much difference
    Wii sucking
    too much brown and grey "realistic", wheres the colourful fun graphics?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The focus on Multiplayer would be my pet hate for this generation. Dont get me wrong, i really enjoy multiplayer games. But a good story driven game will always be better then a online game imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Agreed with the over emphasis on MP, I used get most fun out of a good story driven SP, like HL2 and FEAR, they're few and far between now. Metro 2033 is the first good one in years.

Stupid fookin achievements for everything, it ruined the COD series before they sunk it completely. COD 2 is still up there in my book, the series went downhill after

Shoddy console ports on pc, its is the norm lately to build a game with consoles in mind and the release it on pc without making any changes at all, sometimes even leaving the press start at the begining.

Games lack realism, one headshot should kill

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Mataguri wrote: »
    The in-game music. Maybe its just me but I find the music in games these days has become incredibly generic. I miss the older generations where the developers used their incredibly limited tools to create hook laden sonic masterpieces.

Nice one. Forgot about the music in F-Zero although its always in my head. Loved that game.

For me it is the over emphasis on online multiplayer games. I used to play them and probably still would (not as much) but I haven't got a broadband connection at home.

Some cut scenes anooy the piss out of me aswell. Maybe they are too long or just thrown in for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

If there was good Online CO-OP in games it would be fantastic. I've always wanted to see a great GTA type MMO with a proper normal CO-OP mode and turf wars/roles(getaway driver, pimp, drug pusher, sabotage,NINJA!)/in game economy/ player driven police force/government agents etc.. With less emphasis in levelling up and absolutely NO GRINDING samey bullcrap missions... NOT quests.
    There is so much potential in such a game IMO. And that pisses me off.

Micro transactions also piss me off. When I seen the PS Home clothes store I raged. What a farce. DLC can be handled properly as previously mentioned ala GTA4.

No dedicated servers for certain games. Even though we are a top developer and we charge that little bit extra this time around for the game, you are getting no dedicated servers and no modding/mapping capabilities. FUUUU IW, I'll be honest and state I still want to play MW:2, but its the principle, have principles or be shafted again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Bobby Kotick

he is the devil of the games industry and seems to be in more control this gen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Paying for things already on the disc is a joke.

Personally my main dislike which others have already mentioned, too many ****ing FPSs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

FPS having basically the same game mechanics.....I remember playing MOH on the PS1 and having very little health left nervously working my way forward trying to find a health pack....that was proper tensions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

It's been said a few times but I'll say it again. The focus on multi-player rather than single player. I see multi-player more as an extra than anything else. It's great that it's there but the core of the game should be the single player. Developers have a better chance now than they ever had before to create games with real depth and characterization, story and emotion. Just look at Half Life or the most recent for me, Mass Effect 2. Brilliant games.

So it's really taking the piss when I read a review of a game and the reviewer comes out with something like, "Terrible story and voice acting coupled with a short and shoddy campaign mode make this a painful experience unless you're already a fan of the Hello Kitty: Playtimes Over series. The online is quite good though, so I'll give it an 8 out of 10."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Paying fo Xbox Live

I wouldn't mind paying for an online service with dedicated servers but paying for a service that hosts games on other peoples consoles is robbery. Online gaming should be a right not a privilege.

Matchmaking

**** you Halo 2. Matchmaking is a heap of crap. You wait in a queue for ages and end up on a laggy server that is at the whims of he whiny host. If they quit everyone is turfed out. Give me a server list anyday. Let me arrange the list by ping and let me choose the server and add it to my favourites list if I like it. Having matchmaking in PC games is even worse. Many times we tried to get a game of left 4 dead going and had to restart multiple times because the matchmaking kept giving us a server in Las Vegas or somewhere more remote and giving us awful pings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

I think my biggest hate of the new generation are the nouveau gamers, whiny little snot-nosed feckers. You only have to play any game online now to meet them, and I deplore their antics. Rage quitting being the major peeve of mine. To me it all comes from the console generation but has caught on majorly on PC games as well so both creeds are to blame.

I think also that these people are to blame for the DLC debacle, sure they talk on forums about how much they wont buy this or boycott the other but when they're released who's first in line to download or buy? There was a great picture on the steam forums a while back about a group that was set up to boycott MW2 after the non-dedicated server debacle. The group attracted however many thousand of gamers to join, then two weeks after MW2 came out some high percentage of people in the group were shown online playing MW2.

At least if you say you're going to boycott something, stick to your guns, don't just bend over and take it from big companies like IW while they laugh all the way to the bank. It is this that is leading gaming down a very rocky road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

jonnybadd wrote: »
    I think my biggest hate of the new generation are the nouveau gamers, whiny little snot-nosed feckers. You only have to play any game online now to meet them, and I deplore their antics. Rage quitting being the major peeve of mine. To me it all comes from the console generation but has caught on majorly on PC games as well so both creeds are to blame.

In saying that , the Objective of some games has become to make the others rage quit. L4D2 comes to mind, anytime I go play a game with a certain 2 other people, we do our best to get a rise out of the opposition and make em quit, can't remember the last time we finished a full game of L4D2 tbh.
    Half the time its because they're losing terribly though too.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

1. DLC (removing content to gouge money out of gullible gamers plus Horse Armour)
    2. Special Editions (removing content to gouge money out of gullible gamers plus Horse Armour)
    3. Dumbed down (console/ports) games in general.
    4. Stupid DRM (Ubisoft & now EA)
    5. Unmitigated greed by the major publishers.

For all the talk of piracy, I think the above actually only encourage piracy. A disgruntled gamer has three options in the face of all of this:

1. Just take it and let them shovel it down your throat. Kick the dog or some passive aggression.

2. Don't buy; or

3. Pirate.

I think a lot of people will choose 3. A lot of pirates were never going to buy a game anyway - only a few developers acknowledge this, the rest seem to think they can change that fact with DRM.

I don't have any evidence to back that up of course but I tend find that people claim not pirate games from developers they respect. Valve for example. I would feel eternally guilty if I pirated one of theirs. Any Ubisoft game? Wouldn't give it a moment's thought to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

jonnybadd wrote: »

I recall those types well before consoles started becoming an online platform.
    It's l33t gamer behaviour.

My pet peevs are QTE's and 'Games as art'.
    Some games over use QTE's and just make it repellant.

As for the 'Games as art' I'm a very strong advocate that games should be fun first and foremost and art only in comparision to other industries.

The whole arguement that we haven't yet seen our Citizen Kane and games now heading in a direction to mimic movies just agrivates me. Why can't people leave a good thing alone :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Of all of these pet peeves mentioned above I don't think it's nearly as bad as paying for a couple of memory packs, rumble packs, expansion packs, transfer packs etc. Also, wireless controllers are fantastic. The fact that the back catologue to your childhood is essentially free online. The advancement of the internet, how many times did you get stuck when you were younger and the game was done. Not anymore. Achievments, for some reason they give every game more lifespan essentially. These far outway the negatives IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Pre-order bonuses! Why can't i just walk into a store, buy a game and be safe in the knowledge that i've made the best buy possible?

Advertisement