Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you hate about this generation

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

pretty much everything retr0gaymer said in his OP. oh and achievement points or gamerscore or whatever that is. load of bull****. bring back secret levels and secret bosses plx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Too many games, not enough time.

I miss the days as a kid when I could only afford 1 game a month (at most) which forced me to buy the best game possible then replay it to death until I was a god at it (I used to show people my saves in Sonic 3 with pride)

Nowadays, as soon as I've finished a game there are at least 10 more games released that I want to play. I rarely ever replay games now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Too many games, not enough time.

I miss the days as a kid when I could only afford 1 game a month (at most) which forced me to buy the best game possible then replay it to death until I was a god at it (I used to show people my saves in Sonic 3 with pride)

Nowadays, as soon as I've finished a game there are at least 10 more games released that I want to play. I rarely ever replay games now.

I was the same. Had to wait until Christmas or birthday for a game and maybe another one if I could save for it. So games got played extensively. I have about eight or nine games for the PS3 now after getting one a few months back. Haven't even loaded Fallout 3 yet and barely played a few of the games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Another thing that annoys me is that I just cannot stand the PS3 controller. There's a decent amount of games on it that I'd like to play but I just can't stick using the controller. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

You legend retro , I agree with absolutely everything you've said.

I've been bringing up these points for a long time :

Retr0gamer wrote: »

The shift in focus away from PC games leading to less complex games
    Paying fo Xbox Live

I wouldn't mind paying for an online service with dedicated servers but paying for a service that hosts games on other peoples consoles is robbery. Online gaming should be a right not a privilege.

Everytime I do I have to put with loads of crap from sillly console noobs who can't accept facts and cry 'pc snobbery'

:rolleyes:
    If there was good Online CO-OP in games it would be fantastic. I've always wanted to see a great GTA type MMO with a proper normal CO-OP mode and turf wars/roles(getaway driver, pimp, drug pusher, sabotage,NINJA!)/in game economy/ player driven police force/government agents etc.. With less emphasis in levelling up and absolutely NO GRINDING samey bullcrap missions... NOT quests.
    There is so much potential in such a game IMO. And that pisses me off.

I agree totally, btw check out APB.

What's pissed me off a good but this gen, and this is happening on PC too, is all this ranks stats and achievement's crap. People become obsessed with them and stopping actually playing the 'game' itself. Becomes all about the stats instead... resulting in people quitting due to other peoples stats or quitting in case their stats are effected, 'stat padding' , not actually playing but instead repeating the same actions over and over to make their stats better ..

These feckers start caring less about the gameplay and more about stats and it ends up hurting mods on the pc side of things (BF2 mods versus BF1942's mods)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Stat padding has been going on for a while though. I still remember the '1337 retry' from CS.

I also really don't get achievements as well. They actually kind of take from the experience when you get a pop up notification. When they are done well, like in Dead Rising they can be great but there should be an option not to include them in games that don't need them.

As for trophies, I couldn't care even less about them. The way they are handled on PSN is a joke and they take forever to load up.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Shoddy console ports on pc, its is the norm lately to build a game with consoles in mind and the release it on pc without making any changes at all, sometimes even leaving the press start at the begining.

Exactly, not even mouse recognition on some of them (race driver grid for example)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Yeah: "Saving, do not switch off your PC"
    Ok, thank f*ck you had that message up there I was about to rip the plug out of the wall and make some tea. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

The Wii. Worst thing ever to happen to videogaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Vyse wrote: »

It kept nintendo in business, I love zelda games, I am happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Of all of these pet peeves mentioned above I don't think it's nearly as bad as paying for a couple of memory packs, rumble packs, expansion packs, transfer packs etc. Also, wireless controllers are fantastic. The fact that the back catologue to your childhood is essentially free online. The advancement of the internet, how many times did you get stuck when you were younger and the game was done. Not anymore. Achievments, for some reason they give every game more lifespan essentially. These far outway the negatives IMO

Leave this place...

There is no room for your positive vibes, here.

As for trophies, I couldn't care even less about them. The way they are handled on PSN is a joke and they take forever to load up.

Oh? Frustrated by the delay when you want to admire your virtual trinkets, eh? :p

You make you sick! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Vyse wrote: »

the console itself was a great idea it was design to be a casual gamers console definitely not the worst thing about gaming

problem is every 3rd party game for the most part is shovel ware

Online i think is the worst thing as it has destroy the single player aspect of almost every game.It used to be the single player aspect was considered short if it only lasted 12hrs now its half that. its now an after thought

Online has its good points but i think its the way the industry is goin as imo its easier to rape people of the cash when they play online multiplier

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Downloadable games that should be cheaper than retail but are actually more expensive (steam and xbox live)
    The last zelda game was a gamecube port. Nintendo has given up on hardcore gamers, why cater for them when games like Just Dance and Wii Fit sell millions? Their presentation at E3 last year was pretty much the nail in the coffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Sandbox games. God they annoy me. You think that you are free, but really, the missions are more linear than ever with the added chore of having to travel to mission start.

Also, this gen for me has produced only one game i really enjoyed- batman arkham asylum, where as previously there was plenty of great games.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Pretty much everything. I'd rather dig out my GameCube than play the vast majority of games from this generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Horse Armor!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I hate FPS games. They make me nauseous within minutes! I find it so unnatural with a dismembered arm running around, and how the camera moves; it's like you can't move your eyes to move around, your head is stationary and you turn your body to where you want to see (just like Batman w/Michael Keaton!) Is this the only platform developers make these days?!

I also don't care for online multiplayer. Unless you're fantastic at it you'll get pwned or noobed or whatever by Americans who play it 14 hours/day. So you've gotta stick with it until you get halfway decent - not happening. Whatever happened to normal people playing games? I wish I could just only connect with Europeans. Anyway, I'm much happier just playing couch co-op.

Live chat. The meanest bunch of @rseholes on the planet. Even in damn Rock Band 2 they give you grief! Thanks for exiting out of the song because you or me missed one note :( (....happened 4/5 times when I decided to give XBL a go.....) Gotta keep it on so we can decide on things, but also so they can cuss me out. Great.

Lots of games seem to just focus on green/brown/greys. Where's the colour at? Oh, on Nintendo :pac:

My Wii gathering dust. There is only a handful of games I want to play. Luckily we're back on track with NewSMBWii, and getting Galaxy 2 and Zelda 2 over the next year... While i'm at it, the two Wii Plus's I bought having only been used twice and is now gathering dust.

Lack of platformers. Is Mario the only one in existence?!

The average length of a game is now 8-10 hours.

Soundtracks are orchestral (good thing) but all sound the same (bad thing).

I'm not a PC gamer (never have been) but even I'm pissed off about how PC gamers are being treated! (Piracy lunacy and all that)

DLC that should've been included in the game and would've been if it were not a great market -- i'm talking about Capcom asking you to pay extra for alternative outfits on Street Fighter IV, @sshole's creed skipping from Chapter 11 to chapter 15 despite the DLC being ready at time of release, DLC that's already on your disc >:( ... I've no problem with add-ons side-missions (eg Resi 5) or fully-fledged DLC (GTA IV DLC) -- i actually applaud it. DLC should be release to extend the life of the game, not screw you out of something you should've already had....

==

Anyway, that's the breadth of my venom. I LOVE THIS GENERATION of gaming. Since the Wii launch (2006+) has really gotten me back into gaming. There are so many amazing games, with amazing art style, graphics, and perfect controls. It really is an art form. I love the retro push we're enjoying as well. I believe we're in another golden age of gaming. So many awesome games that I want to play. I should mention that I have Wii, 360 and PS3 so i've no real bias, although it's only recently there's exclusive PS3 games I wanna play. I am really very happy with this generation...but that's for another thread! Having too many games and not enough time is the best compliment you can give a gaming generation It's AWESOME! By the time you get done with a game, another one has halved in price :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Here's my mine gripe with modern games;

How come everybody that plays football manager becomes a legend and wins trebles almost yearly once a few seasons into the game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Releasing broken games and patching them after release... Consoles being hooked up to the interweb is not an excuse to cut QA costs you cheeky bastards!

"Casual gamers" - **** you! you broke Nintendo!:mad:

All of the other stuff has been mentioned many times already;
    DLC already being on the disc, paying for online play, matchmaking, poorly implemented achievements, having to be online to play a PC game...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

It has been mentioned already but the lack of decent platform games is a shame. New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Little Big Planet are the only two I own from this generation. I can't really think of many others worth owning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Mochara627

The one thing I despise about this generation of gaming is DLC. I love that companies continue to develop small add-ons to games and continue the stories I love. I don't love having to pay rediculous prices for these little chucks of extra content and I really don't like when it's pre-developed and you need to pay just to unlock it. Is our €50 not enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

- The focus on multiplayer nowadays. No, I don't want to play with some 12yo dickhead from halfway across the world who quits when he's losing and I especially don't want to have to pay to do so.

- Achievements. Good in concept, but, overall, just shallow in execution. And for the love of God/Shiva/Buddha/Allah/Thor, at least make them all achievable in single player! I prefer the days when an actual achievement was getting to the last level in the special zone in Super Mario World or finishing SMB3 in less than 20 minutes. Don't forget the legitimate bragging rights you'd get - saying you have over 10,000 gamerpoints means absolutely dick all to me.

- Gun metal grey + mud brown = "stunningly realistic graphics". The fuck?

- DLC should only exist to extend the life of a game. If it's released less than 6 months after the games release, companies just shouldn't be allowed to charge money for it. On a related point; fancy packaging, making of featurettes, soundtracks, artbooks - these make up a special edition release. Allowing me to play 5-10% of the game you purposely locked doesn't.

- Sequelitis. Now, I'm not against sequels. SMB3, SMW, Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, MGS3, I love all these games, as I loved the originals. But releasing a new one every-fucking-year is ridiculous! Not to mention all the artificial hype created. Game development should be allowed to take it's natural course (Duke Nukem Forever notwithstanding).

Of course, there are obviously exceptions to these points, but as far as trends in the industry are concerned, I think it's a terrible and unsustainable state of affairs to be in.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭flanno_7hi

koHd wrote: »
    Here's my mine gripe with modern games;

How come everybody that plays football manager becomes a legend and wins trebles almost yearly once a few seasons into the game?

That's because the game is too easy if you pick a big club and/or use the transfer list. People share tactics and good players.
    I used to previously think I was great because I could start with a prem team in england and win it and the move around europe winning leagues.

Try playing llm. Have a look on community.sigames.com lower league management. We all play the gme realistically.

In my 2010 game I started off in Limerick got them to 4th in the league. I'm in 2016 now and I've been at Limerick, Ayr, tralee Dynamos, Athlone town and now Millwall.
    I've won the airtricity 1st ivision and the munster senior cup, been relegated once and now I'm in L1 with Millwall making £1k a week,

Not exactly a glittering career but I'll tell ya it's the most satisfying I've ever had with FM and I've been playing them all since back in CM2 days.

The people who tell you about winning trebles all over the place are just googling guides and where is the fun in that?

Back on topic - the most annoying part of this gen for me is the kids online who rage quit everytime I score against them in Madden or PES or FIFA. There is no shame in losing a game but quitters are cnuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

My biggest problem with this generation of games has been highlighted by the two games i've enjoyed the most this year: Arkham Asylum and Prototype.

Now I'm by no means a Retr0gamer(tm) but the emphasis on old games (especially 2d action games) was the emphasis on skill and timing. Dodging, moving around, blocking, knowing when to attack etc. The core gameplay in both games is superb - sure both have great technical achievements and Arkham uses cinematic techniques to add to the imersion, but both give you a sense that you are good at it.

Another gripe is sports games. Fifa has made some strides with the manual passing but a football game should be ALL about how good you are at dropping a ball on a penny. This crap about holding down the 'through ball' button and the game does the rest for you is deeply unsatisfying and it boils down to how good you are at exploiting the weaknesses in the game.

Same goes for tennis games, Top spin, Virtua Tennis. The game does everything for you, there is so little variation in what can happen it just makes it completely crap.

Meh, bit of a rant but I look forward to trying to change these things myself in game development in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Thing I hate most about this generation is the idea that Nintendo should cater more for adult gamers. Don't remember Nintendo ever being the champions of adult games. They have always been a company making games mainly for families, which surprisingly enough, includes adults. They are continuing to do the same. How many certificate 18 titles have Nintendo ever published?

Party games are annoying but if it prolongs the life of the Wii enough for another Mario or Zelda or Metroid then bring them on, the gamecube died because of no one buying games. The release schedule looks so good on the 'cube because it wasn't around long enough to get staid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Thing I hate most about this generation is the idea that Nintendo should cater more for adult gamers. Don't remember Nintendo ever being the champions of adult games. They have always been a company making games mainly for families, which surprisingly enough, includes adults. They are continuing to do the same. How many certificate 18 titles have Nintendo ever published?

What they are publishing now are collections of minigames that are gimmicky and only sell on novelty value that disappears after about an hour. Nintendo used to make games that appealed to all ages and were valid gaming experiences as the best games on other platforms. The Gamcube didn't die because nobody was buying games for it. The good games sold well and Soul Calibur 2 even sold the best on the GC. People just weren't buying the hardware. It also wasn't a failure since it made money, a lot of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

What they are publishing now are collections of minigames that are gimmicky and only sell on novelty value that disappears after about an hour. Nintendo used to make games that appealed to all ages and were valid gaming experiences as the best games on other platforms. The Gamcube didn't die because nobody was buying games for it. The good games sold well and Soul Calibur 2 even sold the best on the GC. People just weren't buying the hardware. It also wasn't a failure since it made money, a lot of money.

Nintendo STILL make games that appeal to all ages and are "valid gaming experiences".

Metacritic top 10 'cube games, five published by Nintendo.
    Metacritic top 10 Wii games, six published by Nintendo.

Soul Calibur was released on all formats by Namco wasn't it?

A lot of good games sell well on the Wii. Good games do fail on the Wii, but good games also failed miserably on the 'cube, Beyond Good and Evil sank without trace. Viewtiful Joe didn't sell as well as Capcom had anticipated.

So the cube didn't have enough good games to encourage people to buy it in the first place? If you have a tiny base of console users and everyone of them buys the game, its still not selling enough games to make it viable.

My point is Nintendo are being held responsible for every piece of sh*t which is released on their console. When was this the case in the past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

There has been one Wii Zelda game so far this generation, and that was available for the GC as well...
    I'd say the DS did a better job at keeping them in business anyway

dooferoaks wrote: »
    My point is Nintendo are being held responsible for every piece of sh*t which is released on their console. When was this the case in the past?

Nintendo first and second party games worth buying on the wii:

Metroid Prime 3
    Super Mario Galaxy
    LoZ: Twilight Princess
    Super Paper Mario
    Fire Emblem
    Smash Bros. Brawl
    Punch-Out
    New Super Mario Bros. Wii

3 of those games were gamecube games brought over to the Wii. Not exactly a stellar line up considering the amount of classics they brought to the Gamecube is a similar time frame considering the lifetime of the Wii is almost at what the Gamecube was when it was discontinued. That consoles library was full of instant classics from nintendo not even counting the third party games. Also in the top 10 on metacritic I only see 4 wii games made by nintendo or second parties and a compilation of the metroid prime games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

DLC. I will happily pay to keep a game I loved still interesting. But I'm not going to pay Micro transactions for content that was already developed at time of release or close enough to it for it to have been included. If you want more money, charge me more at the start.

Oh yeah, I also hate stupid boycotts. Why boycott a game. If it ends up being **** it will do far more damage to the franchise then any half assed boycott. Can't wait for the next MW game to come out.

Advertisement