Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you hate about this generation

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Also in the top 10 on metacritic I only see 4 wii games made by nintendo or second parties and a compilation of the metroid prime games.

So the cube and wii have 5 Nintendo published titles in the list, regardless of what they are, are considered worthy of a high score. Original point said cube died because not enough people bought one, therefore not enough games were sold. Wii, through selling crap party games has the chance to continue to produce games i look forward to getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

dooferoaks wrote: »
    A lot of good games sell well on the Wii.
    True but I'm guessing the majority don't. Case and point is the new Red Steel game which has started out doing miserably despite some stellar reviews. It is generally Nintendo published games that seem to be the high sellers on the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Vyse wrote: »
    True but I'm guessing the majority don't. Case and point is the new Red Steel game which has started out doing miserably despite some stellar reviews. It is generally Nintendo published games that seem to be the high sellers on the system.

You don't think that has anything to do with it being one of the first motion+ games as well?
    I'm sure it'll be the same for third party games which use Natal and whatever the PS3 motion control thingy is called at first (and for the rest of their existence tbh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

tman wrote: »
    You don't think that has anything to do with it being one of the first motion+ games as well?

To be honest I didn't realise that ut used the motion plus sensor but I really don't think this is the reason for poor sales . The game would have sold poorly regardless. It's just one example amongst many (World of Goo, Zack and Wiki.........) and is the reason why there is such rumblings amongst third party developers in their change of direction.

I was actually shocked this morning to see that The Conduit 2 was announced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

360 and ps3 failure rates.

Other than that this gen is great:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

About this generation?

Growing older and having more responsibilities that make a gaming a once a week thing ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So the cube and wii have 5 Nintendo published titles in the list, regardless of what they are, are considered worthy of a high score. Original point said cube died because not enough people bought one, therefore not enough games were sold. Wii, through selling crap party games has the chance to continue to produce games i look forward to getting.

We really shouldn't have to wait 6+ months for a good Wii game from nintendo.

We really shouldn't have to wait 6+ months for a good Wii game from nintendo.

Yep, agree with that. :D

Being honest, I think generally the 'cube was marginally better supported by Nintendo, but was this possibly due to lack of support from 3rd party forcing them into this? I would have been happy to have as much dross on the cube as the Wii, if it had kept it going for longer but it didn't and is their worst selling console by a country mile.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Marginally better supported? It was way better supported imo.

F-zero GX
    Metroid Prime 1 and 2
    Wind Waker
    Pikmin 1 and 2
    Chibi Robo
    Super Mario Sunshine
    Mario Kart Double Dash
    Smash Bros Melee
    Zelda Four Swords
    Fire Emblem
    Paper Mario 2
    Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
    Luigi's Mansion

Not to mention the amount of effort they put into courting a lot of third party exclusives that were great.

Marginally better supported? It was way better supported imo.

F-zero GX
    Metroid Prime 1 and 2
    Wind Waker
    Pikmin 1 and 2
    Chibi Robo
    Super Mario Sunshine
    Mario Kart Double Dash
    Smash Bros Melee
    Zelda Four Swords
    Fire Emblem
    Paper Mario 2
    Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
    Luigi's Mansion

Not to mention the amount of effort they put into courting a lot of third party exclusives that were great.

None of it worked though did it? They spent more and sold less. Selling over 10 million less than its next worst console, not a big surprise they changed tack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

I shall use Nintendo 64's game Zelda OOT for an example.

This game was amazing...

Consider the enjoyment of a game...

OOT brought larger smiles to your face than a puppy!

OR a baby!

OR a baby holding a puppy!

The length of the game also!

Hours and hours and hours of fun.

Beautiful graphics.

Sure they may not be extremely detailed but it was quite simply Beautiful!

The creativity and actual gameplay was genious!

I could continue this rant but there's no point...

As I'll be called a "noob"
    or a "n00b"
    or a "newb"

What has the world of gaming come to!

None of it worked though did it? They spent more and sold less. Selling over 10 million less than its next worst console, not a big surprise they changed tack.

Not exactly. The xbox lost billions of dollars and the PS2 only started making money late into it's lifetime. Nintendo however were making money on the GC since day 1. People think the GC was a disaster for Nintendo but it was hugely profitable, just not as hugely profitable as the Wii which is why they changed focus to throw away non games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Tacked on, unnecessary multipalyer components im looking at you BIOSHOCK 2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Mataguri wrote: »
    The in-game music. Maybe its just me but I find the music in games these days has become incredibly generic. I miss the older generations where the developers used their incredibly limited tools to create hook laden sonic masterpieces.

Mass Effect 1 & 2 had fantastic eighties/synth soundtracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZYJZGXJpas

Good article supporting your point though

http://www.gogaminggiant.com/2009/09/09/sad-state-modern-game-music/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

DLC by far.

I also dislike how the devs are making a balls of their industry by punishing their customers to get at the pirates. The games will be pirated one way or another, don't mess it up for your other customers... Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Final fantasy turning **** in the last 4 games and by the looks will continue to do so. **** you square-enix.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Agree in part with the game's hand-holding / becoming easier. Example: Bayonetta - a great game (imo) but at times the "subtle hints" are more like sledgehammers - "I'll never make it across in human form" *nudge nudge wink wink*

DLC is a pain - don't think I have availed of much / any. Forza 3 - "download x extra cars"...in a game that has something like 300! Haven't bought the Dante's Inferno or Bioshock 2 stuff. In saying that, there are others that seem worthwhile like Fallout 3 or Resi 5.

And now we have Call of Duty with it's mini-map packs...for €12! I miss PC Gaming of old. Sure, there were a lot of duds but the community was given the chance...plus it led to other sites that acted as databases or review sites. Always great to try out loads of Quake 2 maps.

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Final fantasy turning **** in the last 4 games and by the looks will continue to do so. **** you square-enix.

True but you have the better Shin Megami Tensei series to turn to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

True but you have the better Shin Megami Tensei series to turn to
    Oh I know and I plan on getting the new one, but FF turned me on to RPG's and have that special place in my heart!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

HxGH wrote: »
    I could continue this rant but there's no point...

As I'll be called a "noob"
    or a "n00b"
    or a "newb"

What has the world of gaming come to!

Yeah man theres far too much of that **** going on.
    Who would have though gaming could go from being a social shame to having elistist snobbery so quickly??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Yeah man theres far too much of that **** going on.
    Who would have though gaming could go from being a social shame to having elistist snobbery so quickly??

Gaming used to be a medium through which all could communicate with smiles shared...

Something worth noticing is that you are called a n00b in many violent games...

I've never been called a n00b at centipede! :pac:

Advertisement