Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Health Data???

• 25-03-2010 12:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi,

Im looking to find data on the Amount of GPs in an area(or the country) over time and the amount of times people visit the doctor over the same time series.

any ideas???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

chave wrote: »
    Hi,

Im looking to find data on the Amount of GPs in an area(or the country) over time and the amount of times people visit the doctor over the same time series.

any ideas???

Dont know if such specific data are available, but Ronan Foley has spent some time mapping hospital cachments and healthcare asscess through GIS. If you have access to journals, search for his name in Irish Geography, his most recent was 2009 if I remember. A start anyway...

Foley, Ronan. 2008. Geographies of Formal Care in Ireland, 2002-2006, Irish Geography, 41,3: 261-278

Foley, Ronan. 2006. Health, Place and Hanly: Modeling Accessibility to hospitals in Ireland, Irish Geography, 31,1: 52-68

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

I believe Dave Madden wrote a paper on supplier-induced demand by GPs and analysed data of this sort. I'm not aware of any publicly available datasets for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

You're unlikely to get that data because I don't think it exists.

You might be better off looking for a microfile (e.g. QNHS) that has distance to doctor as well as frequency of visits listed. You might not get this for Ireland, either.

The best you could do is identify the GP locations in a GIS dataset (which is easily available) and estimate the cachments yourself. It might help with your first question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭chave

Thanks everyone for your advice

• Advertisement

If you want to change focus, the British Houshold Panel Data Survey (or whatever its called) has this info I think.

Its a great dataset.

http://www.slan06.ie/SLAN-07FinalAnnotated.pdf

Question A10 might be useful, you can write to James McBride who can supply the data.

I had trouble with the BHPS, were you able to access it from Ireland? I was told through the UKDA that they wouldn't supply panel data for identity protection

edit: If you request a nesstar password you should be able to browse the data and run a few basic commands. The 2008 NQHS and a number of other ESRI datasets are up there too, you might find a few useful variables

Advertisement