Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

quality sharpmess

• 25-03-2010 12:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭

I have this image which looks not very sharp on my web-site or when i put it in blurb book builder .

On my web site its "the Sunday mass" image ;-

http://www.barrydelaney.ie/street/album/index.html

On pix.ie it looks fine ;-

http://pix.ie/thebaz/1087456/in/album/334490

Am i totally going mad , or anyone any idea, I want to use the image in my blurb book, only if sharp, I've even restored image to un-edited version , as it needed little work .

Totally puzzled

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

It is all a matter of compression. I do see some differences between the versions, but I'd just blame it on how the image was generated and compressed:

Your site:
    Dublin%20Mass.JPG

pix.ie:
    A3FCB2123B264710B7602911063F2005-500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Big difference alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Mark - not sure if you have used blurb (book generating software) - but it seams to generate the image like my website (which uses jalbum) - quality is poor / unuable by blurb , wondering is there away around this ,as all other images are fine using the standard uploading on blurb

A photograph is essentially a long string of number and the manipulation of it is achieved through the use of a mathematical formula. There are essentially different formula to perform the same task. Some are proprietary, some are open, and pretty much each and every group online handles their compression in a slightly different way.

Fenster wrote: »
    A photograph is essentially a long string of number and the manipulation of it is achieved through the use of a mathematical formula. There are essentially different formula to perform the same task. Some are proprietary, some are open, and pretty much each and every group online handles their compression in a slightly different way.

cheers - i ended up importing into blurb from flickr - slightly better, not perfect but usable - curious to why this image is causing such problems . maybe its the pebble stone effect and check suit - i thought the image might have been damaged, but don't think so - just a digital problem i guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

When i build my Blurb book I found the only pics that came out properly where the one directly uploaded from the exisiting files from my PC.

All 'online' ones became blurry like yours. Must be a Blurb sorta problem.

I essentially say essentially a whole lot, don't I?

@sarah @baz You should upload an use an image for print at the highest possible resolution. When sites like pix.ie create different sized images for later use you need to understand that those are not your original photograph. They took it, copied it, shrunk it and applied a specific process to reduce its footprint on disk.

essentially it makes sense now - the original file was 6 mb, when i upload a 1 mb file , the digital distortion is reduced , probably too much info in files over 1 gb - still weird that the other 50 files were ok at original size -

thanks anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

thebaz wrote: »
    - still weird that the other 50 files were ok at original size -

thanks anyway

I was thinking that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

What colour space are you using Baz? sRGB will make an image look brighter. You should use Adobe RGB to mimic print.

• Advertisement

the image has no pp now , so don't think colour space would matter
    in ps its sRGB :-)

I reduced image size further and it seams fine now

http://www.barrydelaney.ie/street/album/index.html

just think certain images can't handle too much info where in particular things like pebblestone or check suits - fine detail - well thats my logical theory :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Colour space matters, whether it's processed or not. you should change to Adobe so it looks more like it will printed. Otherwise you'll get a print back much darker and duller than you anticipated.

sineadw wrote: »
    Colour space matters, whether it's processed or not. you should change to Adobe so it looks more like it will printed. Otherwise you'll get a print back much darker and duller than you anticipated.

thanks Sinead - switched to Adobe RGB 1998

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Ah color spaces

I know it was the case that some browsers defaulted to sRGB color space when displaying images in the window this meant that if you images used Adobe RGB it would look Darker online (or was it brighter? anyway they looked different) I would check the blurb Documentation and see if they have some requirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Chances are they convert to sRGB before they print anyway. I know photobox and a pile of other print places online do.

Chances are they convert to sRGB before they print anyway. I know photobox and a pile of other print places online do.

should i set photoshop back to sRGB ?

confused -

don't think the problem is to do with colour space as file was unedited in photoshop - as said problem went when i reduced file size

Advertisement