Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David O'Leary for U-21 job?

• 25-03-2010 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

No speculation here just a question..

Would you think its a good idea? seen as the results he got from a lot of young and some really expensive players at leeds. He gave debuts to a lot of the english team like agbonlahor..

what say ye? not a bad idea if you ask me. he can repent for former sins and reestablish himself a la stuart pearce.

also he cant spend all of the FAI's money for two reasons.. they don't have any and he cant, just cant

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Do you reckon he`d take it or be interested? I doubt it somehow unless he wants a cosy number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

"At the end of the day, I have a very young squad but they are a great bunch of lads"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I never want to hear that dope banging on abot his "babies" again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Is Givens gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭bonkers

nuxxx wrote: »
    Do you reckon he`d take it or be interested? I doubt it somehow unless he wants a cosy number

nout else on offer for him really.. could be a chance for him to prove himself again and learn from trap.. he could see it like that.. ireland could use a manager thats not like don givens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Is Givens gone?
    Correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

He would 100% not take. He's got a very big opinion of himself.
    He's still waiting for the Arsenal job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

At the end of the day anyone is better that Don Givens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭ScholesyIsGod

JPA wrote: »
    He would 100% not take. He's got a very big opinion of himself.
    He's still waiting for the Arsenal job!

Ya i was reading one of his columns in the Sun a while back and he constantly referred to himself in third person amd seemed to think most clubs were mad for not trying to get him in when they had a managerial vacancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Esse85 wrote: »
    Correct
    Missed that, about 9 years too late imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I would do a better job then Givens, O Leary, if he would take it, would be a good appointment, cant see him being interested tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

If he does get the job, at least he won't be given a transfer budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

If it gets him off those fúcking Irish sun adverts then i'm all for it. Cascarino can be his number two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    If it gets him off those fúcking Irish sun adverts then i'm all for it. Cascarino can be his number two.

What? And lose the BIG opinions?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

What? And lose the BIG opinions?!!

Don't worry, you can still read them in Irelands Daily Sun. I'm not a complete bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

Did O'Leary put himself into the ring for the senior post when it was vacant? eithier that are he said he was holding ou for a premier league job cant remember which!

He really does rate himself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

[QUOTE=kryogen;65075053]I would do a better job then Givens, O Leary, if he would take it, would be a good appointment, cant see him being interested tbh[/QUOTE]

FM for the win. Who says it doesn't count as proper experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

FM for the win. Who says it doesn't count as proper experience?

Steve Gibson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Every team talk would end up with Dave O'Leary telling the kids why they should be more like Dave O'Leary, and why Dave O'Leary would stand for nothing less...

no thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

The Ireland under 21 team would lack the experience and talent of the great players in the past Pele, O' Leary, Maradona, O' Leary, O' Leary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Hes only interested in taking a job that lets him bankrupt the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Don't think it would offer enough money to interest Dave O'Leary.

However there are some decent candidates out there.
    Mark Kinsella has being making a name for himself as a coach in the lower divisions.
    Kenny Cunningham has done the courses
    Matty Holland also strikes me as a man who could lead others.

Then you have some good young managers based here
    Like Pat Fenlon and Stephen Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Hes only interested in taking a job that lets him bankrupt the team

In his defence a manager's job isn't to control finances but to spend money that is allocated to them by the board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I think O'Leary is a very good manager. He done very well at both Leeds and Villa. The blame for Leeds' demise does not land on him, but he should take credit for the spectacular football they played, and for blooding real world class players.

And despite the league position, Martin O'Neill inherited a squad full of potential, one that was assembled on a shoe string.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I think O'Leary is a very good manager. He done very well at both Leeds and Villa. The blame for Leeds' demise does not land on him, but he should take credit for the spectacular football they played, and for blooding real world class players.

And despite the league position, Martin O'Neill inherited a squad full of potential, one that was assembled on a shoe string.

Like Agbonlahor and....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I doubt very much he'd be interested in the job. If he took the job though he could always write a book about Givens failures with the under 21's the last couple of years.

that fcuking ad was just on

seriously hire him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

kryogen wrote: »
    that fcuking ad was just on

seriously hire him

Really annoying how they keep showing the one where they're all prattling on about Hughes' sacking, it happened ages ago! Grr!

and the Henry handball, and just having to look at Ian Wrights face is enough for me!

is it really a big opinion that if ireland play how they played against France they will have a good chance at qualifying for the European Championships?? big opinion?

more like stating the fcuking obvious Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

kryogen wrote: »
    and the Henry handball, and just having to look at Ian Wrights face is enough for me!

is it really a big opinion that if ireland play how they played against France they will have a good chance at qualifying for the European Championships?? big opinion?

more like stating the fcuking obvious Dave

True, but these "BIG OPINIONS" are relative. It is The Sun, after all! :pac:

Advertisement