Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anglo Irish Bank - pay increases

Options
  • 25-03-2010 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Given the fact that Anglo Irish Bank, were instrumental in the bankruptcy of this country, putting many on the dole queues, and costing the taxpayers billions which we'll be paying off in generations to come.
    Would anyone be interested in joining me at Anglo's Head offices soon, and ask for the recent pay increases to given back??

Its taking a leaf out of Michael Moore's 'Capitalism a Love Story'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Do you have any more details on who received the pay rises? If they're just lowly workers like myself then I'm inclined to say fair play and let them have it but if it's an overpaid executive or upper management type who already has far too much money then I'm against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Initially felt sickened to hear this too. However, the word now is that these were not executive pay rises, but they were moderate raises given to lower tier workers who have been landed with more responsibility due to restructuring under the new management.
    I agree it sends out the wrong message either way though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

My husband heard this not myself so its second hand but apparently there was a woman on liveline saying her husband works for anglo and it was not lower tiered workers - the first any of them knew about it was in the papaer.

I was just saying the same we should go and stand somewhere and make a point, but I`m a wee bit more for the Dail as this is just one piece of the sickening puzzle thats angering me.

Especially the nonesense of the guys being arrested and the camera`s "magically" being there in the morning :rolleyes:.

So I`m with anybody who`s doing something I`m really angry at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Khyber

I think we should stop and think before we come down heavy on Anglo employees. I know alot of them and they are hard working people. They were caught up in an organization that had lost its way and had a very over inflated opinion of itself. The effect of which has been devastating to this country.

But the ordinary employees are still trying to do a job and if it is pay increases for the ordinary employees then fair enough. Anglo has always paid its people poorly in cash terms with most of their remuneration being through deferred compensation which came in the form of stock, so all those with worthless stock are screwed. They have lost nearly everything. So we should go after the fat cats and those found to have been wanting in carrying out their duties, but leave the ordinary workers alone.

I think that more information is needed before we denounce the increases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭johnhargrove

I think Anglo employees DESERVE the pay increases,
    to be honest its not that easy to lose €15bn and put the whole economy at risk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

at the end of the day. Most businesses in Ireland have either let staff go, or frozen wage increases. even in companies that are keeping above water there is wage freezes. Anglo is about to report 13 billion in debts. They SHOULD NOT be giving wage increases to anyone. sorry. but they shouldn't. hard working, underpaid, cleaning staff, whatever. I'm sorry times are tight, but at least they have jobs! Tax payers are saving this bank, so no way tax payers money should be spent on wage increases while the rest of us are up the creek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭johnhargrove

100gSoma wrote: »
    at the end of the day. Most businesses in Ireland have either let staff go, or frozen wage increases. even in companies that are keeping above water there is wage freezes. Anglo is about to report 13 billion in debts. They SHOULD NOT be giving wage increases to anyone. sorry. but they shouldn't. hard working, underpaid, cleaning staff, whatever. I'm sorry times are tight, but at least they have jobs! Tax payers are saving this bank, so no way tax payers money should be spent on wage increases while the rest of us are up the creek.

Come on, they deserve the pay increases. Can you honestly you or anyone else would do better than making a loss of €15bn???
    It takes some skill to lose that amount of money.

Note sarcasm.

Again, anybody interested in going to Anglo's head office and asking for the increases back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

I am very surprised that, to my knowledge, there have not been any protests outside Anglo.

God, we are a nation of complete slobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Khyber wrote: »
    I think we should stop and think before we come down heavy on Anglo employees. I know alot of them and they are hard working people. They were caught up in an organization that had lost its way and had a very over inflated opinion of itself. The effect of which has been devastating to this country.

But the ordinary employees are still trying to do a job and if it is pay increases for the ordinary employees then fair enough. Anglo has always paid its people poorly in cash terms with most of their remuneration being through deferred compensation which came in the form of stock, so all those with worthless stock are screwed. They have lost nearly everything. So we should go after the fat cats and those found to have been wanting in carrying out their duties, but leave the ordinary workers alone.

I think that more information is needed before we denounce the increases.

I know a guy who is effectively putting together the IT functions needed to transfer all the bad loans to NAMA. He told me recently that he's been in weekends and working all hours. He deserves a massive pay rise for that sh1te. Remember all the people who work in Anglo aren't bankers per se.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

johnhargrove banned for a week for trolling. Read the charter when you come back and try to post something useful.

I'm going to leave this thread open for constructive discussion only anything else will earn the poster a ban, and the thread will be locked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭soden12

It does seem strange that the "normal" public service has seen stringent pay cuts , unfilled vacancies and additional workloads imposed in order to help balance the country's books , whilst the zombie bank who oversaw this mad rush into near-oblivion has staff receiving additional pay.

This has to be noted as a move which was poorly thought-out and ignores the prevailing winds of public opinion (and it's the public who are paying ).

The folk in Anglo should be happy that they have what is fast looking like a secure job whilst so many others are on the dole.

As regards yer man who has to work late - gee : welcome to the real world - those hours have been a facet of working life in many organisations.

Advertisement