Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio Shack equivalent

Options
  • 25-03-2010 4:36am

Is there such a thing in Ireland

Preferable a walk in store in Dublin.

Somewhere to by everything and anything electrical ?

E.g. PCB, connections, resisters, wire,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭nikon1000

Maplin Electronics on Jervis Street in Dublin is your best bet.

Is this similar to Pete's electrical ?

I found there stock to be less than useful and there staff were not competent in knowing not only what was in stock but what there stock was.

I'm sick off going to these stores (PC World, Pete's Electrical, Power City, Harvey Norman, etc) asking for something, then after another 3 sales staff have been asked all with that same lost expression then being told they don't have it, only to find it myself! in that store!

This has happened to me on more than one occasion

Never once has a member of staff from any of the larger electrical store's in Dublin ask me would I like them to order a part in for me!

I will check this store out with hopeful optimism.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

They should have most thing in store, if not they will order it.

They have a large amount of gear in there catalog (usually one near the counter).

Just an FYI, they are not the cheapest place in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭brownmini

[quote=[Deleted User];65075657]Is there such a thing in Ireland

Preferable a walk in store in Dublin.
    Somewhere to by everything and anything electrical ?
    E.g. PCB, connections, resisters, wire,[/QUOTE]

Maplin is probably your best bet.
    I agree that theyre not the cheapest.
    If you go to their uk website and then do a survey of their Irish prices you will find that they just multiply by an average 1.6 to get the EURO price.
    Some items are cheaper than 1.6 x Sterling but not a lot.
    (Survey done about 1 year ago)
    Maplin have several shops around Ireland and besides the Jervis Street shop, they also have one in Blanchardstown S.C.

Followed by Peats.
    They're located on Parnel Street right round the corner from Maplin of
    Jervis Street. They are also at multiple sites nowadays.

Followed by Radionics in Rialto.
    Haven't been over there in years.
    You could walk in to them - dont know about now.
    They used to be a bit pricey.
    Their catalogue was good as a reference book too, don't know about current catalogues.
    Their website address is given below.

If you can wait and have a shopping list, try out www.cpconline.ie
    - which seems to be a relation of Farnell.
    They're based in England, prices are good even after conversion.
    You could also try ordering via online from Maplin.
    Pay in Sterling and with the current real converson rate, save some money depending on how much you spend.

ref: www.maplin.co.uk
    ref: www.peats.com
    ref: www.cpconline.ie
    ref: http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Sorry Peats was the store I was talking about in my post I miss spelled it petes

I have used Radionics in Rialto in the last year. There store is still walk in and I found the staff there very helpful but there stock comes no were near like what www.cpconline.ie has!

This is what I have been looking for, thank you for that link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭LeBash

[quote=[Deleted User];65083466]Is this similar to Pete's electrical ?

I found there stock to be less than useful and there staff were not competent in knowing not only what was in stock but what there stock was.

I'm sick off going to these stores (PC World, Pete's Electrical, Power City, Harvey Norman, etc) asking for something, then after another 3 sales staff have been asked all with that same lost expression then being told they don't have it, only to find it myself! in that store!

This has happened to me on more than one occasion

Never once has a member of staff from any of the larger electrical store's in Dublin ask me would I like them to order a part in for me!

I will check this store out with hopeful optimism.[/QUOTE]

I was in Peats just before christmas (parnell st) and there was a guy there called Brian who spend about an hour getting tons of resistors, transistors proms etc. The parts he didnt have, he got for me.

He is ex radionics and knows his stuff. I do agree though, the others were a waste of time.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Advertisement