Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSM Repeaters

• 25-03-2010 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭

I am about to move into a new house, and the coverage is atrocious on all networks. Outdoors is patchy, indoors is non-existant.
    I was thinking of putting a GSM repeater in the attic, with an antenna pointing at the nearest O2 cell tower.
    Has anyone any experience with these devices? Presumably they are just a linear transponder, and as such, do nothing but retransmit what they see on each antenna.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I think some people have reported success with them in Ireland. There were a few threads on this very forum a while back - do a quick search and you should find some info.

As far as I recall, one of the mobile operators were selling them. Open to correction on that one, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Tom Dunne wrote: »

As far as I recall, one of the mobile operators were selling them. Open to correction on that one, though.

I don't think any operators sell them. O2 were looking at introducing femtocells that work through a broadband connection. They had a thread on their forum looking for people's opinions on them here. I think the reason no one sells those repeaters is because they're legally dubious. It involves broadcasting a restricted band and the wireless regulators would have issues with that.

Advertisement