Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London Marathon - 25 April

• 25-03-2010 9:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭

There's a few of us here doing it, and there's a month to go until the big day, so thought it might deserve a thread separate to our individual training logs to discuss race-related matters.

Has anyone received their race magazine yet? Think we're due one that gives us final race logistics.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

I got it yesterday. Arrived home from work all psyched up to go at my big mid-week session and there it was staring me in the face.

One surprise - they have created a new section called 'fast good for age'. They've moved this from the green start to the red. It looks like this section will have its own boxed off area at the red start. Its probably a better way of doing it. I started from the green start before and it was a real pain in the ass as they ushered the celebs, sponsors and guests to the front causing a blockage for all the GFA runners behind them.

How did you get your place - ballot, GFA etc...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I thought the GFA option was only available to UK based runners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Only available to runners submitting application with a UK address....i.e you just need to use a uk based friends address.

It is but I'm based in the the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭Peckham

I'm in GFA - does that mean I'm in the "fast GFA"? I got in with 3:00:00 which is exactly the cut-off point for GFA....

• Advertisement

With 12 days to go, thought it might be good to resurrect this thread. Following the Rotterdam, Connemara etc. race reports, our time in the sun (although hopefully not too much sun!) is nearly here.

Am starting from the Fast Good for Age pen. Anyone else going from there?

Disappointed to see that Katie Price (aka Jordan) has withdrawn from the race.

List of "celebs" (in the loosest sense of the word) to look out for in the race (list stolen from runnersworld.co.uk):
    Princess Beatrice of York (with armed protection guards)
    Holly Branson (you wouldn't guess who she's related to)
    Sam Branson (there's a connection here)
    Mark Chapman (fanous sports presenter)
    George Burley (any Scotland fans, now's your change to throw your haggis at)
    Nick Anstee (never heard of him. Former Lord Mayor of London. London Marathon board member)
    Jenni Falconer
    Mark Goodier (Smooth Radio DJ fantasic)
    Ricky Groves (Eastender's very own Garry Hobbs)
    The cast of Emmerdale (now there's a surprise!)
    The cast of The Bill (well they looking for jobs now, anyway)
    A mix cast of Casualty, Holby City, Coronation St, Doctors and Taggart)
    Michelle Heaton (model, LibertyX, z-list celeb)
    Lorraine Kelly (predicted time 6 hours)
    Russell Howard
    Natalie Imbruglia (yes, its really her. 4 hours her aim)
    George Lamb (brilliant)
    Eddie Jordan (obviously no grand prix on April 25th)
    Jo-Emma Larvin (celebrity superstar)
    Lee Latchford Evans (celebrity superstar)
    Tegla Leroupe (former London Marathon winner. You won't get her. She's aiming 2.40)
    Nell McAndrew (pretty fast lady)
    Rich McCourt (one half of Dick and Dom)
    CJ de Mooi (states as actor, singer, TV presenter and president of the English Chess Federation)
    Steve Rider
    Gordon Ramsay (this is his 11th marathon in 11 years)
    Elen Rivas (spanish model and ex fiancee of Frankie Lampard)
    Ben Shephard (GMTV, z-list morning host)
    Michelle Ryan (one for the boys, she's aiming 3.30)
    Iwan Thomas (former athlete)
    Gary Speed (former footballer)
    Tony Tobin (a TV cook)
    Jessie Wallace (aka Kat Slater)
    Dennis Wise
    Ricky Whittle (one for the girls)
    Dominic Wood (one half of Dom and Dick)
    Anna Williamson (children's TV presenter)
    Daniel Woodgate (Madness)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Will be interesting to see how Dennis Wise gets on. I wouldn't mind calling Gordon Ramsay an annoying pr1c3, as I sped past him. Good luck to the rest of them. There's nothing quite like a marathon to make one feel like a very ordinary man (or woman), when one looks at the times at the top of the field.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I really hope Gary Speed stamps on Dennis Wise as he runs past him. :D

Yip, I'm the same - fast GFA red start. Don't know about you but taper madness is starting to kick in (after only 2 or 3 days).

Thank god the "celebs" are at the green start - there's bloody loads of them and they'll all be ushered to the front. Cue start line mayhem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

I think that May guy (previously 16 stone etc etc - can't think of his first name) finished in 2:21!:eek: - just outside British Commonwealth qualifying time.

Equally astounding that Bob Hope guy from Emmerdale (can't think of his real name) finished in 3:13 dressed as a baby.

Ramsey failed to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

eliwallach wrote: »
    I think that May guy (previously 16 stone etc etc - can't think of his first name) finished in 2:21!:eek: - just outside British Commonwealth qualifying time.

Equally astounding that Bob Hope guy from Emmerdale (can't think of his real name) finished in 3:13 dressed as a baby.

Ramsey failed to finish.

I saw Ramsey on the telly after 6 miles I think it was and the guy looked absolutely knackered.

Looked like a great day for it. I'll have a look at your training logs but how did boardsies get on in this race?

found another thread under training logs on this.......

Advertisement