Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anderson Silva plans move to Heavyweight Division

• 25-03-2010 10:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Story here: http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2010/03/24/anderson-silva-heavyweight-is-in-my-plans/
    With the amount of success that current UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva has obtained outside of his “comfort zone” and natural fighting weight in the light heavyweight division, an eventual climb to the heavyweight ranks would appear to be the next step in the evolution of the career of one of the greatest mixed martial artists to step foot inside of the octagon.
    As Silva prepares for the latest challenge to his UFC 185 pound crown – a UFC 112 showdown with submission ace, Demian Maia – the dominant title holder spoke on the possibility of a move up to the heavyweight division during a recent UFC conference call held to promote the UFC 112 bout in Abu Dhabi.
    “My goal is still to put on as many great fights in the UFC, as many victories as I can throughout the three divisions – middleweight, light heavyweight and possibly heavyweight,” said Silva. “Heavyweight is definitely something I have in mind. It’s in my plans. I’ve been adapting my training and ever-changing to take on that challenge.”
    And while a move to heavyweight at some point down the road seems to be a formality at this point, Silva expressed that he is far from done handling his business at middleweight for the time being.
    “I’m actually far from cleaning out my division,” said Silva. “I feel like there may be guys that are even better than me coming into the UFC. Proof that there’s tough guys in the division is Demian Maia right now… (the fight’s) going to be a big challenge for me.”

Ok so it doesn't sound like we'll be seeing this in the near future but still it's in the pipeline. While I'm excited about some of the potential fights we could see with Anderson at Heavyweight, I wonder is this a bad move for a guy who has nothing to prove? What do you guys think of anderson's chances at Heavyweight?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Silva seems a bit small for LHW - I think HW is pushing it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

James Irvin and Forrest Griffin disagree lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Yeah I would have to agree.

I think he is getting too small for his boots

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭scooby2791

Doesn't Silva only have two fights left on his contract ? And he said he was retiring after them or am I horribly mistaken?

If he does go to HW I'd say he would be pitted against someone along the lines of CC etc a smaller HW striker because Silva would be dominated on the ground, unless of course he pulls a Frank Mir...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Is there not a clause if you are champ about extending your contract or something so its a min 3 fights, maybe I am mistaken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

scooby2791 wrote: »
    Doesn't Silva only have two fights left on his contract ? And he said he was retiring after them or am I horribly mistaken?
    QUOTE]

Actually yea I remeber that now he said he was finishing out his contract and he'd be retiring. Hopefully he's changed his mind.

Any fights you'd like to see him in at HW?
    I'd like to see how he'd do against Mir and would quite like to see him take Cheick kongo apart just for my own amusement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Denners

Silva fills out well at LHW imo

HW is prob pushing it tho, don't think he would cope with Lesnar or Mir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Silva would do very well at heavyweight. I think he destroys Mir. Brock and Cain are tough match ups though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

i actually think hed demolish brock and cain and have trouble with mir, i dont think brock or cain would get him to the ground quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

I'd like to see Silva fight GSP and Fedor before he retires

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Ryan Roddy

I think he would do well in HW division against some of the undersized HWs such as Fedor but I think Cain/Brock/Carwin would man handle him too easily.

A fight with GSP is what I want to see....providing Hardy doesnt knock him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

Think he is way too small for HW, he would do ok in the LHW division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

sonic.trip wrote: »
    Think he is way too small for HW, he would do ok in the LHW division.

Do ok? did you even watch his first 2 fights in LHW?:rolleyes:

Advertisement