Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSAP Results

Options
  • 25-03-2010 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi all.

I got my results today. I did very poorly in the written English. Judging by my Percentile score I got beaten by some non native English speakers. Well it was my 1st essay in over 15 years and even back then I was pretty crap ;) Very happy with my critical reasoning score.

Anyone else get their results?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

same boat as yourself. 43% in the written and 92% critical reasoning... whats next tho??

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭GSOIRL

43% you Skakepeare you. I did so bad they didn't even give me the exact %. Just said below 30% to spare my feelings. Got 98% in the other thing. So hopefully that means I'm not a complete thick. What were your actual scores? I'm interested to see how much below 30% I am :)

As for what next? I think we just have to wait and see.

haha.. my scaled score was 98 in the written

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭GSOIRL

Ok to save my dignity I am going to claim that the person correcting my essay was a non English speaker or could not see or could not read or or or.Anyone got anything better as an excuse. I need something.

I knew I should of sent in a 10 year old to do my test.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Very, very unhappy with my results:(:( A friend did very, very well though:) (which made me feel even worse tbh)

As far as I am aware it is only Arts that use the MSAP to screen students out (last year the cut off was total 90 for arts in UCC (thats the scaled score not the percentile)

If you have applied for anything other than arts. the MSAP is only part of what they take into consideration

98% and 92% are excellent for the critical reasoning though guys, I think you should both pat yourselves on the back for that.

Whats next? Interviews for the courses applied for around may and then a lot of nail biting and hair pulling until August(or whenever they will let us know)

From reading a few other forums people who got a low overall score and/or percentile were still offered places......although none of these people had applied for arts.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sunset3

Im soooo embarrassed...... i got below 30... MORTO even... my scaled score in written was 63 and the reasoning was 65./. in fairness to the reasoning I had to make up over half as I had spent too much time on the 1st few questions so instead of handing it up empty I had to just tick tick tick... but the written I thought I had put alot of effort into.. obviously not!!!!! had V little time for essay no 2 aswell.. still Im gutted..

lindtee wrote: »
    Very, very unhappy with my results:(:( A friend did very, very well though:) (which made me feel even worse tbh)

As far as I am aware it is only Arts that use the MSAP to screen students out (last year the cut off was total 90 for arts in UCC (thats the scaled score not the percentile)

If you have applied for anything other than arts. the MSAP is only part of what they take into consideration

98% and 92% are excellent for the critical reasoning though guys, I think you should both pat yourselves on the back for that.

Whats next? Interviews for the courses applied for around may and then a lot of nail biting and hair pulling until August(or whenever they will let us know)

From reading a few other forums people who got a low overall score and/or percentile were still offered places......although none of these people had applied for arts.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭December

Frustrated to say the least!

I personally would like to know how I did on the actual test - not just how I did against the others that took it. As the scalled results that they provide on the form isnt in % as the points can range up to 150 - (and they dont tell us the points the test are out of.) :confused: Or am I wrong? ...so confused. :)

((I got for English: 103 and Percentile of 53
    For critical reasoning: 105 and Percentile of 60))

• Registered Users Posts: 7 plavski

Got my results through today too, 141 in English, 141 in critical reasoning which is 99% in the essay, 99% in critical reasoning and hence a 99% final percentile.

I'm interested in the cut-offs though as I'm going for an arts degree in UCC.

Jeeze well done Plavski! :D ...and now we know the max points and can work out our personally results, cheers :D

plavski wrote: »
    Got my results through today too, 141 in English, 141 in critical reasoning which is 99% in the essay, 99% in critical reasoning and hence a 99% final percentile.

I'm interested in the cut-offs though as I'm going for an arts degree in UCC.

You are in the top 1%, I don't think you have to be worrying about cut-offs! Well done:) As I said above the cut off scores were 90 last year for arts in UCC (guidance counsellor where I am doing my course rang them to confirm this today)

Might as well say what I got- Over all percentile of 47%, total score of 101

So bloody gutted:(

• Advertisement

December wrote: »
    Jeeze well done Plavski! :D ...and now we know the max points and can work out our personally results, cheers :D

My friend got 153 in the essay part:eek::eek: think her percentile score was also 99%

My friend got 153 in the essay part:eek::eek: think her percentile score was also 99%

:eek::eek: indeed :mad: heh

You are in the top 1%, I don't think you have to be worrying about cut-offs! Well done:) As I said above the cut off scores were 90 last year for arts in UCC (guidance counsellor where I am doing my course rang them to confirm this today)

Might as well say what I got- Over all percentile of 47%, total score of 101

So bloody gutted:(
    I was into the UCC mature students office today and they confirmed it was about 87 or so on the result for last year.

101 should still be enough for arts though, as there are 100 places after all. I hope to be getting drunk with you come the autumn :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Delightful12

Guys :confused:

Im not so sure if I did really bad or just average and my brain is frazzled - could someone please tell me if I am correct ?

Section 1, scaled score 95 percentile 37
    Section 2, scaled score 102 percentile 54

Overall msap score 99
    Overall percentile 42

So, risking sounding stupid I got 42% ? meaning ucd or ucc will not offer me a place ?

Im not so sure if I did really bad or just average and my brain is frazzled - could someone please tell me if I am correct ?

Overall msap score 99
    Overall percentile 42

So, risking sounding stupid I got 42% ? meaning ucd or ucc will not offer me a place ?
    It depends on the cut-off point - the point above which you need to score to be considered as a mature student for the course. The cut-off point on arts in UCC last year was about 87-90 on the overall msap score and you scored above this so you'll be above the cut-off if the score is the same as last year. If it isn't, obviously things will be different for you depending on the new level.

The percentile thing is just to show you where you stand really; at 42% your exam results were better than 42% of the rest of the country.

Overall msap score 99
    Overall percentile 42

No, the percentile score means that you did as well as or better than 42% of the people who sat the exam. There is no way of finding out for sure what percentage you got in the actual exam itself as no-one is sure of the maximum possible score. UCC and UCD may very well offer you a place. Last year the cut off score (not percentile) was approx 90 for UCC for Arts and anyone who was over that got offered a place, and you are over that:) Hopefully they won't raise it too much this year.

Anyone else fancy posting the same information again? Maybe he'll learn on the third post :D

Anyone else fancy posting the same information again? Maybe he'll learn on the third post :D

Sorry:o Had to sort out fighting children in the middle of typing my post and didn't see yours until I had it posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Delightful12

Many thanks plavski and lindtee for your help - I really really appreciate it. :)

Congratulations plavski on your really high score its fantastic
    and thank you lindtee, dont know what your score is but best of luck !

Hope you both get what you are looking for

D

I was into the UCC mature students office today and they confirmed it was about 87 or so on the result for last year.

101 should still be enough for arts though, as there are 100 places after all. I hope to be getting drunk with you come the autumn :D

100 places in ucc?? or countrywide?

• Advertisement

100 places for UCC for the arts programme ^ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eliza Lynch

Hi!
    Just wondering if anyone has got results back from the MSAPS in UCC.
    My bf did them but it wasnt for the english it was for the Social sciences?
    Any insight would be much appreciated.

Hi!
    Just wondering if anyone has got results back from the MSAPS in UCC.
    My bf did them but it wasnt for the english it was for the Social sciences?
    Any insight would be much appreciated.

Tell him to check his email. The results were emailed yesterday.

The msap exam was the same for everyone. I have applied for Social Work and social science, arts was my final choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eliza Lynch

Thank you, another question....
    CAO wise when do mature students get their results?
    I thought for some reason it was earlier! Just he was looking in to the change of mind?

I rang UCC and for his course the MSAps count as 30%, with interviews etc so slightly different from Arts.

Thank you, another question....
    CAO wise when do mature students get their results?
    I thought for some reason it was earlier! Just he was looking in to the change of mind?

I rang UCC and for his course the MSAps count as 30%, with interviews etc so slightly different from Arts.

I think a first round of CAO offers for mature studentscome out in July (I may be wrong on this though) Check out this link for change of mind information (not sure myself) http://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=aboutCOM

Interviews are around May I have been told.

Tell him to go in and talk to the people at the Mature Students office. They're both nice and helpful (and pretty!).

They told me that the notifications will go out in the first week of July and there's a two week window to accept.

Nice of you to do all this for him though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 stevewales0

Hi, I applied for UCC but took the test in Dublin, does anyone know (roughly) how many where at the Cork sitting?
    (I'm tryin to work-out if I'm in with a shout for an Arts course)
    Thanks
    BTW
    the overall percentile score tells you only what percentage of the total number of applicants did better than you
    ie if your overall percentile was 49 then 50% of the total takers did better than you. It's not really a grade at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 stevewales0

sorry, that's another explanation of the obvious.
    I'll look-out for plavski nxt year, should be easy, sarcasm's like wearing a sign ;-)

Hi, I applied for UCC but took the test in Dublin, does anyone know (roughly) how many where at the Cork sitting?
    Thanks
    BTW
    the overall percentile score tells you only what percentage of the total number of applicants did better than you
    ie if your overall percentile was 49 then 50% of the total takers did better than you. It's not really a grade at all.

I'd say it was about 1000:eek::eek: There were 4 test centres in UCC on the day and there was about 250 where I sat mine. A lot more than last year sat it, I'd say:( I also noted that the percentiles this year were lower than the percentiles for the same scores last year, lots more competition:( I should have gone back to college before the economy went bust

• Advertisement

Thanks
    BTW
    As with lindy above, I sat it in Cork and there were about 60 or 70 in my room which was one of four. There were four centres in Cork and so the 1000 person ballpark seems about right.

And yeah, I'll be the smartarse Brit doing English and Psychology :D

Advertisement